Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=416)
-   -   As you transition from one child to two... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=405843)

mellymommy 04-17-2011 09:09 PM

As you transition from one child to two...

Transitioning from one child to two quite possibly can be the most harried, traumatic, stressful, questioning time of your life. You are still a newbie to the phase of life of your firstborn child and now have a second fragile life to manage. I remember feeling like life was impossible and that someone needed to come take these children because I had no idea what was going on, who I was as an individual, or what needed to be done to keep everyone happy and moving forward in life.

This transition is magnified if you add #2 within 2.5-3 years as you haven't had enough time to really develop as a mother and you are trying to find your footing and figure out what happened to your sweet 1st born who is now a whirling dervish of tears and tantrums AND nourish the body and spirit of the new babe AND still keep the house from being showcased on some sort of hoarding biopic AND still be attractive and pleasing to your hubby and...wait...isn't there something I keep forgetting...oh pooping and showering!!! Really, this phase of life is stressful.

I want to encourage you, New Mamas of 2 Little Ones, that you WILL survive this phase and so will your children. Yes, it is inordinately difficult and unpleasant. Yes, you will field criticisms from various venues but please tune them out. Your oldest probably will be wild and unruly for a little while because he/she is struggling how to function in this new life, too. He/she is very young and many of his/her age-appropriate behavior will be magnified and feel very overwhelming. Stay calm, have grace, breathe deeply, cry if you need, vent if you need, but know that you and your firstborn will grow past this.

Have grace with yourself. Let things slide like dinner from scratch, cloth diapers (if you need the laundry and poop break), your ladies' Bible study, taking dinner to families at church, even big family gatherings (which can be a breeding ground of heartless, thoughtless criticism). Let your family grow at their own pace and not at the pace of what your mom/dad/pastor/friend/co-worker/etc. thinks is "normal" or best. Hide yourself away, if you need. Protect your heart and your family from outside stress. It is okay to disappear for a while.

You have our full support here. We are with you every step and are praying for God's blessings in your family and are excited to see God develop love, grace, and intimacy in your lives. Take heart!!!!

mom2boys 04-20-2011 01:30 PM

Re: As you transition from one child to two...

:bump for such a wonderful bit of advice and encouragement! :hearts :ty

YolandaWELS 04-20-2011 01:37 PM

Awww! I love this. Thank you so much for the encouragement and support!! :heart:heart I hate feeling like I want to throw myself out of the kitchen windows sometimes.

Thank you :)

I love disappearing from people ......

NewLeaf 04-20-2011 01:38 PM

I wish I could have read this 2 years ago! :heart

I thought the transition was going to KILL ME. Truly. Add a baby that did not sleep and it felt like my life was over.

At four weeks pp someone at a birthday party asked how things were going and the words "It's pure hell." flew out of my mouth before I knew what happened. :bag

But it DID get better! And the transition to three was a piece of :cake2. :phew

tofufoofoo 04-20-2011 01:38 PM

:happytears :ty4 so much for that... I needed to read that right now so badly! Could I post that on my facebook wall by any chance? There are members of my family that totally need to read it! :yes

Lady Grey 04-20-2011 02:19 PM

It is interesting to hear what different mothers say is the hardest transition. Mine has definitely been going from 2-3 and I would even say that 1-2 was easier than 0-1 for us.

I think it definitely depends on the spacing, personality of mama, personality and need level of the older child(ren), personality/need level of the new baby, pregnancy/birth/postpartum health, postpartum support, health of marriage, weather and ease of getting outdoors, etc.....

I do :heart and agree with your words of encouragement.

mellymommy 04-20-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tofufoofoo (Post 3849626)
:happytears :ty4 so much for that... I needed to read that right now so badly! Could i post that on my facebook wall by any chance? There are members of my family that totally need to read it! :yes

absolutely!!!

ilovewest 04-20-2011 10:03 PM

I think I'm going to print this out and tape copies to every flat surface in my house when #2 gets here..... Bless you for posting this. Thank you!

CCmomma 04-21-2011 05:21 AM

I love this!!! It was just what I needed to read after getting a little less patient with my DD this past week! Thank you.

magpiedpiper 04-21-2011 05:56 AM

Thank you. Since day one of finding out about number two, I've been worried about how dd1 will do when the baby gets here, and subsequently how we will respond when tired/stressed etc. She will be so blindsided by the baby since she does not even remotely get the concept of me being pregnant right now. So thanks for the assurance that though it will be hard, that if we just work through it in our own family's time and with God's hand on us that the hard times will pass.

Elyse221 04-25-2011 10:26 AM

Thanks for this! I'll have to bookmark this for when #2 is in the works!

L-Boogie 04-25-2011 10:42 AM

I think this would make a great sticky... :heart

Oh and I would add that this transition lasts quite a while, depending on your situation :yes. I hope no one reads this as only applying to the first couple weeks. Have grace with yourselves, mamas :heart

3boysforme 04-25-2011 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewLeaf (Post 3849625)
I wish I could have read this 2 years ago! :heart

I thought the transition was going to KILL ME. Truly. Add a baby that did not sleep and it felt like my life was over.

At four weeks pp someone at a birthday party asked how things were going and the words "It's pure hell." flew out of my mouth before I knew what happened. :bag

But it DID get better! And the transition to three was a piece of :cake2. :phew

Oh yea, 1 to 2 was definitely a trying time in my life. Especially since Ds1 was barely 2 when ds2 came along. BUT, we survived and thrived and even added a third ds to the group. And I definitely agree that 2 to 3 is a piece of cake. :yes

crunchymum 04-25-2011 11:06 AM

So well put, melody!!!! :heart

I'm on round 2 of "toddler + baby", AND I have older kids to help, and I STILL have a hard time remembering this season moves along and eventually passes. :phew even though I truly do know that it does.:yes

:ty

MercyInDisguise 04-26-2011 07:51 PM

Bookmarking this for a later time!