Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Do proponents of CIO..... (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=509174)

2TMama 10-16-2014 08:36 AM

Do proponents of CIO.....

Have any sort of science/studies that back up the supposed need for babies to learn to "self-soothe"?

Was recently in a conversation with someone & it made me wonder.......:scratch

MegMarch 10-16-2014 09:46 AM

Re: Do proponents of CIO.....

Not ime. Those I know do have research on how much sleep babies need and use CIO as a way to ensure their babies get needed rest. The idea of self-soothing being necessary is treated as "common knowledge" by the CIO moms I talk to.

mamacat 10-16-2014 09:53 AM

Only that it is endorsed by some pediatricians and "experts"

MegMarch 10-16-2014 09:58 AM

Oh, and the "mama needs enough sleep to take care of the baby." Which is reasonable too. But the solution should be napping, cosleeping, having help, maternity and paternity leave, etc. This shouldn't all be happening at the expense of babies :(

milkmommy 10-16-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2TMama (Post 5838384)
Have any sort of science/studies that back up the supposed need for babies to learn to "self-soothe"?

Was recently in a conversation with someone & it made me wonder.......:scratch

I dont think so.. However playing just a bit of "devils advocate" the biggest supporters of a "CIO" method I've seen has been with the attitude of a few controlled restless nights means not having years of sleep issues. Thankfully most that Ive known who have sleep training through a CIO type methods have
1) not done it with wee babies most were somewhere between 6months-18 months

2) not done extinction type methods where they jsut leave them for hours on end most will top off at 10 minutes

3) given it a "week" and then waited till they matured or looked into other methods.

4) still understand that ability to "self sooth" doesn't dismiss a parents need for comfort cuddles or in the night feedings

Again not saying this is a good thing but I think most come from a place of love and support and a mind set that sleep and good sleep benefit both parent and child and a few rough nights pays off in the end.

Daria_Aleksandrovna 10-16-2014 10:40 AM

Heavy culture of 'it won't do harm! look at all my kids and they are fine! Go on...you'll have amazing sleep'

milkmommy 10-16-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daria_Aleksandrovna (Post 5838420)
Heavy culture of 'it won't do harm! look at all my kids and they are fine! Go on...you'll have amazing sleep'

see I don't always think it is that black and white. Honestly most people I know dont do CIO but also don't do any kinda "sleep learning" gentle or otherwise and as a result they often have massively over tired kids and frazzled mothers. :shrug3 Too many of those examples and suddenly the often times "quick" results of a controlled ferberized baby seems the kind thing.

MaySunflowers 10-16-2014 10:55 AM

Anyone I've known to use it has read it in a parenting book, heard it from a friend or had it recommended by a GP. Never heard mention of a study quoted.