Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=433)
-   -   cat pee issue (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527047)

Little Forest 04-28-2019 06:21 PM

cat pee issue

Please help if you have any advice. We have 2 cats who had been rehomed to us several months ago. Lately we are having a big problem that is just getting worse with one or both of them urinating in piles of laundry and on a couple of the girls' bedsheets.

I am working really hard not to leave laundry piles around but working mother and 8 people's laundry and that is tough! Even if a piece of clothing is on the floor for one reason or another it is often targeted. We are trying to keep bedroom doors closed but not always successful.

We added a second littler box. It is getting used at least part of the time. I am nervous about it because we have a toddler and can't keep my eyes on her all of the time and she has been known to get into it. :sick

Any advice for us about this problem? DH is talking about getting rid of them and the DDs are threatening mutiny if we do.

CelticJourney 04-28-2019 07:03 PM

Re: cat pee issue

Are they fixed? It might also be a UTI issue, so maybe a trip to the vet.

MaySunflowers 04-28-2019 11:11 PM

I'd have 3 litters boxes in at least two places (tough with a toddler), try changing type of litter in one box, make a vet appointment to rule out issues, feed cats separately (in case it is a territorial issue), can you leave two cardboard boxes out so they each have a place to hide.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Llee 04-29-2019 03:59 AM

I have a cat that gets irritated by piles of clothing as well. No UTI, there are two litter boxes, we just have to really make sure not to leave piles of clothes on the floor. It's irritating, but at least it helps me keep stuff off the floor.

Sundance 04-29-2019 04:34 AM

I second a vet appointment to rule out urinary crystals/UTI.
The other advice about adding boxes & finding litter they love is good, too.

twoplustwo 04-29-2019 04:53 AM

In addition to what everyone recommended, there is a sprinkle you can put on the litter to encourage them to want to use the litter box. I never used the whole canister so can look up the name for you if you want when I get home. It was recommended by our vet so your vet may know as well.

Sparrow 04-29-2019 12:32 PM

Another thing I've heard is using the same litter as the previous family, that has helped people

Were they outdoor cats before you got them?

Soliloquy 04-29-2019 02:49 PM

Cats may think they can go in anything they can dig in. Which is why they go for baskets of laundry and un-made beds. Making the beds every morning will probably help (I know, more work!).

If the cats were previously outside cats or in-and-out cats you might not be able to stop it. They may need to be outside.

I have a cat that likes to sleep in baskets of clean laundry so I put another basket on top of that basket, if I can't fold and put it away immediately.

Cats hate the feel of aluminum foil under their feet. They also hate sticky tape. So, if you know it's not a health problem, putting sheets of aluminum foil or circles of duct tape on the areas may teach them to avoid it. Cats also strongly dislike citrus so some essential oils (lemon, orange, etc) may discourage them from those areas.

I second asking the previous family what kind of cat litter they used. I've never had a cat that cared but some do. I really like the pine litter. It's also sold in bigger bags as horse bedding (wood pellets).