Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Why do people live in Texas (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523850)

gerberadaisy 09-26-2017 08:01 AM

Why do people live in Texas

my inquisitive 5-year-old wants to know.

He has asked this question at least every other day for the last 3-4 weeks.

He asks because he doesn't get it. His reasons why no one should live in Texas:

* It's so hot - :phew
* it's REALLY hot - :phew
* Maybe 100-400 degrees hot - :phew
* That's it, it's just sooo hot! - :phew

so, if anyone of you live in Texas, could you give him reasons why you might want to live in Texas despite those crazy temps?:giggle . Also , he insisted on the "hot & sweaty guy" for all the rest.:heart

Maedchen 09-26-2017 08:29 AM

Re: Why do people live in Texas

:clap This is too funny.

When we lived in TX, it was because the navy sent us there. It was very hot and when we got the chance, we moved back east of TX. LOL

knitlove 09-26-2017 08:42 AM

The land
- open sky - where you can feel God's arms reaching out to you.
-oak trees - trees that reach down to the ground to help you climb up to there tops
- the hill contey in the spring where the ground is painted with amazing colors brine imagination

The people/ culter mix
Houston one of the most diverse citys in the contry.
What kind of food do you want? You can get it there. Do you want some usual Chinese or Indian spice? You can buy it there. Or would you rather have a German cuisine that is there as well.

Are you Interested in the arts? You name it and you can find it in Texas.

Are you interested in sustainable energy? Texas has more wind generated power than any other state ( the last time I checked). My uncle has only bouse wind electric for the past 25 years.

Are you interested in science or engendering, there is so much there.

Say you are driving on a two lane road and are coming up to a car going slower than you, do you have to work and hope to see to get around them, no because the filter and the roads are designed for them to drive on the shoulder so that you can pass.

And as for how you deal with the heat- it is called air conditioning and going out after dark to dance under the stars when it has cooled off. There is a reason that the tradition is to nap during the heat of the day ( though that was the mistake that Santa Anna made that created Texas)

Yesterday we were at 98 in Vermont and dont have ac, it made me home sick for Texas.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Aerynne 09-26-2017 08:53 AM

I don't live in Texas :shifty but

it doesn't get as cold as some places

Lots of people just live where they were raised or where their family lives and don't want to move away from family

heartofjoy 09-26-2017 08:53 AM

That was beautiful, knitlove! :heart

We live here because we were born here, went to school here, married here, had babies here, etc. Texas is amazing. The people are really friendly. The cities are diverse and there is always something to do.

We don't really leave Texas because it's too far to drive out of it, but we have 5 large cities within 4 hours of us: San Antonio, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, and Corpus Christi (large, but not mega like the rest). All great vacation destinations. But not only that we have a ton of state parks and wildlife opportunities from bass fishing to deep sea fishing, water recreation, desert beauty, dinosaur tracks, pine forests, hill country, so many rivers, tubing, camping, horses, with multiple places to go and see for each of these things to fit any budget!

And some of us like it hot.

mommychem 09-26-2017 08:54 AM

:heart to my neighbors in Texas!

gerberadaisy 09-26-2017 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6108289)
The land
- open sky - where you can feel God's arms reaching out to you.
-oak trees - trees that reach down to the ground to help you climb up to there tops
- the hill contey in the spring where the ground is painted with amazing colors brine imagination

The people/ culter mix
Houston one of the most diverse citys in the contry.
What kind of food do you want? You can get it there. Do you want some usual Chinese or Indian spice? You can buy it there. Or would you rather have a German cuisine that is there as well.

Are you Interested in the arts? You name it and you can find it in Texas.

Are you interested in sustainable energy? Texas has more wind generated power than any other state ( the last time I checked). My uncle has only bouse wind electric for the past 25 years.

Are you interested in science or engendering, there is so much there.

Say you are driving on a two lane road and are coming up to a car going slower than you, do you have to work and hope to see to get around them, no because the filter and the roads are designed for them to drive on the shoulder so that you can pass.

And as for how you deal with the heat- it is called air conditioning and going out after dark to dance under the stars when it has cooled off. There is a reason that the tradition is to nap during the heat of the day ( though that was the mistake that Santa Anna made that created Texas)

Yesterday we were at 98 in Vermont and dont have ac, it made me home sick for Texas.

I actually laughed today when he asked for the umpteenth time...we're in the middle of a heat wave. It's supposed to be in the 90's here today.
& I agree, that was beautiful. I will read that to him.

Hubs & I have wanted to go to Texas for a while so maybe after Disney next year we'll actually plan Texas...but hopefully not in the middle of summer:lol

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6108293)
That was beautiful, knitlove! :heart

We live here because we were born here, went to school here, married here, had babies here, etc. Texas is amazing. The people are really friendly. The cities are diverse and there is always something to do.

We don't really leave Texas because it's too far to drive out of it, but we have 5 large cities within 4 hours of us: San Antonio, Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, and Corpus Christi (large, but not mega like the rest). All great vacation destinations. But not only that we have a ton of state parks and wildlife opportunities from bass fishing to deep sea fishing, water recreation, desert beauty, dinosaur tracks, pine forests, hill country, so many rivers, tubing, camping, horses, with multiple places to go and see for each of these things to fit any budget!

And some of us like it hot.

I pretty much told him people live there for the same reason we live here - they like it there. & because they've lived there most of their lives, jobs, etc. I'm not sure why he's so fixated on Texas, maybe because it's been in the news but he's not fixated on the Hurricanes but rather the heat. So that leads me to believe he gets it from the Weather Channel, which he watches every morning with his dad & turns on voluntarily whenever he wants to know how hot or cold it is outside.

The other irony is that I've had to put my foot down the last 2 weeks when he wanted to wear long sleeves & pants...I don't care about the pants because daddy only wears jeans but had to say if he wears long sleeves he'd had to stay inside for the air conditioning. He was complaining about the heat even then.

NovelMama 09-26-2017 09:24 AM

That's adorable!

I never expected to live here, but we do because God said, "Go to Texas," and what else we were gonna do besides go?! :D

It's true that it's hot (although it's the humidity that I hate more than the heat!) BUT, winter is, like, 2 weeks long, LOL, and spring and fall are GORGEOUS. And the people are the best!! <3 <3 <3

Beth1231 09-26-2017 11:32 AM

The friendly people :heart We can laugh and talk and sip sweet tea in the shade together :phew
The big ole flags make me smile. They are HUGE!
Cowboy boots and hats are fun to wear and see.
The big,big sky and in some places,you can see for miles all around.
Nov and Dec are jacket weather.
July and August doesn't last forever.
But my favorite is the culture of y'all and I'm fixin to and yes ma'am and shore thing,I'll help you fix your tractor.

Psyche 09-26-2017 12:12 PM

Sunshine. Seriously I used to get seasonal affective disorder so badly in Michigan and the sunshine here is wonderful.

Interesting animals.

Open skies. Sunsets and sunrises are stunning.

BBQ

Tex Mex.

Honey butter chicken biscuits from Whataburger

People are generally super friendly. I never thought we micjiganians were unfriendly but by comparison to Texans we are.

The eco systems are super diverse.

Short winters.

Bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush.

ECingMama 09-26-2017 12:29 PM

subbing

I have to come back with a quote from someone about my brother who passed who was from Texas.

rdsmommy 09-26-2017 02:58 PM

I have lived in south Texas for most of my life. My dad moved here because he wanted the heat. He grew up in South Dakota. I'm still here because my husband is from Mexico and our families live here. I agree with PP posters that Texas does have a lot to offer. I can't make a real comparison because I don't have many memories of living elsewhere.

november 09-26-2017 06:51 PM

I love warm weather and hate the cold! I love that I can be outside for most of the year and enjoy myself! :) NO SNOW!!!!

I love all the yummy food. You dont even know, man. Lol.

I love the friendly people. Everyone talks to you in the grocery store line, elevator, etc.

Conservative tendencies in most small towns. ;)

Churches on every corner which I love but can admittedly be intimidating sometimes when 'church shopping', lol.

Very lax homeschool laws. Pro parent choice on vaccine issues as well. Fairly easy concealed carry parameters.

Affordable cost of living, homes, etc. No state income tax!!!

heartofjoy 09-26-2017 07:02 PM

HEB grocery store! Best grocery store ever!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

knitlove 09-26-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartofjoy (Post 6108389)
HEB grocery store! Best grocery store ever!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Oh <3 HEB Central market in Houston is where we bought our wedding flowers. Freash torteas! Roasting hatch chillies on sight. *Sigh*