Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

shekinah 05-31-2012 03:58 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiina (Post 4662860)
looking forward to trying it :) Going to buy a bottle from the hfs when I get back from my trip next week. I wanted to do water kefir first but I don't know anyone with the grains.

I don't like apple/hard cider at all, but I love my kombucha, just as long as it's flavoured :) If you add fruit to it, it tastes more like a sparkling juice than cider. :yes

JenLovie 05-31-2012 06:35 PM

Bottled my KT for the 2nd ferment tonight! :dance My mom thinks I'm crazy :giggle and told me it looked like there was poop in the bottles. Nope, just cherries to flavor it. I'm pretty sure she thinks I've gone off the deep end.

NewLeaf 05-31-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenLovie (Post 4663371)
Bottled my KT for the 2nd ferment tonight! :dance My mom thinks I'm crazy :giggle and told me it looked like there was poop in the bottles. Nope, just cherries to flavor it. I'm pretty sure she thinks I've gone off the deep end.

:lol

Hopetobe 06-02-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easygoinmomma (Post 4662686)
Stiina, my favorite is grape. So the second ferment I add grape juice to it and then when I go to drink it I do 3/4 grape kombucha and a 1/4 grape juice. It is yummy and not cider-y or wine-y.

Yep, if you like grape soda, you might like grape flavored kt. A few months ago, I bought a grape one. It tasted pretty much exactly how I remember grape soda as a kid. It was too sweet for me now, even though it actually didn't have that much sugar in it.

cobluegirl 06-02-2012 07:10 PM

I like raspberries in ours or blueberries. Can't wait to try different fruits.
meant to put mango in it today but forgot and the mango got eaten.

JenLovie 06-03-2012 07:21 AM

:heart I love making my own KT. I put frozen cherries in it and I have learned I only need to add 1 or 2 to give it flavor. The bottle I finished this morning had 4 in there and it was wayyyyyyy too sweet. I had some from a 2nd bottle with just 2 cherries and it was much better. DH still isn't a fan, but I keep giving him small tastes.

blessedmamaofmany 06-03-2012 08:00 AM

Ok. So my attempt at a SCOBY has been brewing for weeks. It doesn't seem to be making much progress. There is a huge ''mushroom'' at the bottom, but the scoby like film on top is still very sparse.

I had in my pantry, but I think maybe it's too cold in there? I took it out and put it on my counter.

thoughts?

JustMandy 06-03-2012 09:33 AM

Maybe it wasn't getting enough airflow in the pantry?

blessedmamaofmany 06-03-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustMandy (Post 4668370)
Maybe it wasn't getting enough airflow in the pantry?

That makes sense. :think

I'm hopeful that I'll see some rapid growth out on the counter.

Do I have to start over or can I give this one more time?

NewLeaf 06-04-2012 10:51 AM

I have everything I need but containers. I want at least 2 gallon size because I can drink a lot of kt and I want to keep 4 gallons brewing at a time. Can't find what I need for cheap. I guess anything ends up being cheaper than buying it by the bottle. :sigh

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedmamaofmany (Post 4668250)
Ok. So my attempt at a SCOBY has been brewing for weeks. It doesn't seem to be making much progress. There is a huge ''mushroom'' at the bottom, but the scoby like film on top is still very sparse.

I had in my pantry, but I think maybe it's too cold in there? I took it out and put it on my counter.

thoughts?

I'm confused. The mushroom IS the scoby, isn't it?

JenLovie 06-04-2012 11:14 AM

My only problem with making KT is that I want to drink it all. I'm trying to make each batch last until the next is ready to be bottled, but I don't know if I'll make it. :yum So tasty.

blessedmamaofmany 06-04-2012 11:15 AM

I don't know :bag.
I thought the mushroom and the Scoby were two different things?

Someone?

houseforjoy 06-04-2012 11:56 AM

nope the word mushroom and scoby are interchangable. you put in a scoby, and then it will grow a new scoby. or if you are starting with no scoby, a scoby will form on the top.

Stiina 06-04-2012 11:57 AM

but her scoby is on the bottom?!

blessedmamaofmany 06-04-2012 12:01 PM

right. It's a big mushroomy type thing on the bottom, there is a film on top, but it's sparse.

I'm so confused

shekinah 06-04-2012 12:16 PM

If your mushroom/scoby has sunk to the bottom, that's fine. That is called the mother. What's forming on TOP of the liquid is the baby. It will start out like film and eventually get thicker.

Your scoby will always continue to grow as it forms babies. If the scoby were not at the bottom of your jar, the baby would be growing in film on top of it at the top, making it appear to be one scoby growing larger, however, you can usually rip these apart.

Does that help?

blessedmamaofmany 06-04-2012 12:48 PM

Indeed it does! Thank you

backtobasicsmum 06-04-2012 12:54 PM

You could always post a picture too, so we could really weigh in "officially". :giggle

Stiina 06-04-2012 01:00 PM

Now THAT is a great idea. :yes

shekinah 06-05-2012 04:12 AM

So.. after reading a few pages back that LisaM's kids eat pieces of the scoby like gummy candies, I have been working up the nerve to try some!

Well, I just had a little tiny piece, and WOW, it tasted like a "sour patch kid". DH was shrieking, lol, couldn't believe I just plopped some in my mouth, but it was actually really good! The sour kombucha coating the flavourless jelly thing.. really did taste like candy.

JenLovie 06-05-2012 06:08 AM

I don't know if I could eat the scoby. Of course it does tempt me to try it when I think about DH's reaction to watching me eat it. :shifty :giggle

shekinah 06-05-2012 09:55 AM

Hahaha, doooo it ;)

JenLovie 06-05-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shekinah (Post 4672561)
Hahaha, doooo it ;)

I want to so I can see his reaction, but I don't want to because it's the scoby. Tomorrow I start a 2nd ferment so maybe I'll try it.

ArmsOfLove 06-05-2012 05:56 PM

I have a few kombucha that could be mailed out if anyone is interested in getting started. I only would need shipping :)

blondie 06-05-2012 09:03 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread! *another new question #63 and 64*

I think I need to get into this... :popcorn

Soliloquy 06-07-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shekinah (Post 4671840)
So.. after reading a few pages back that LisaM's kids eat pieces of the scoby like gummy candies, I have been working up the nerve to try some!

Well, I just had a little tiny piece, and WOW, it tasted like a "sour patch kid". DH was shrieking, lol, couldn't believe I just plopped some in my mouth, but it was actually really good! The sour kombucha coating the flavourless jelly thing.. really did taste like candy.

:rockon fly that freak flag, baby!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Maedchen 06-07-2012 03:46 PM

I have just recently discovered Komcbucha. I am into the 2nd week of growing my first Scoby. I have a question about making some into vinegar. Would you be able to use the vinegar from the tea to ferment cabbage and other vegetables? My husband can't have regular vinegar made from corn and the apple vinegar is also off of his consumption due to not being able to eat apples. (we have to keep him on a low salicylate diet with many food allergies)

blondie 06-07-2012 07:07 PM

I went to get plain Kombucha to get my scoby started, but my aunt's HFS was out of it. :( I'm hoping to go to a different place to get some tomorrow.

Soliloquy 06-07-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maedchen (Post 4677868)
I have just recently discovered Komcbucha. I am into the 2nd week of growing my first Scoby. I have a question about making some into vinegar. Would you be able to use the vinegar from the tea to ferment cabbage and other vegetables? My husband can't have regular vinegar made from corn and the apple vinegar is also off of his consumption due to not being able to eat apples. (we have to keep him on a low salicylate diet with many food allergies)

You can let kombucha ferment longer so it tastes like vinegar. :yes

However, vinegar is not used to ferment vegetables. Water and unrefined salt is used. Sometimes a starter culture is added but not vinegar.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Maedchen 06-08-2012 10:42 AM

Thank you for the answer Lisa. I guess a better way to phrase this would be could the vinegar be used in pickles and or to be added to soups when regular vinegar would be used? Would it not be the right ph balance for making summer pickles? Making this go slimey?

NewLeaf 06-08-2012 07:54 PM

I looked at jars at Target today and they're $20 each for the size I want. :jawdrop Boo!

I'm going to try to go to some restaurants this weekend while dh is home so I can just run in and out. I'm pretty shy when it comes to these kinds of things so I'm going to have to suck it up and endure the weird looks I'm going to get.

cobluegirl 06-08-2012 08:00 PM

check theaters too.

blondie 06-08-2012 08:37 PM

I got a bottle of kombucha tonight to start my scoby. :rockon

I also got a bottle just to drink. I got grape and it was SOOOO good. I've tried kombucha once before reading this thread, and it was disgusting. I went out Wednesday and got a different kind from the HFS, and then a different one tonight, and I'm totally into it.

It seems like it bumped my milk supply up by quite a bit. Could that be ? I'm sure it's the bit of alcohol + yeast.

JenLovie 06-09-2012 04:41 AM

My current batch is fizzy! And so tasty! I need to either start making more or just make a 2nd batch in a separate container so I will have a continual supply.

backtobasicsmum 06-09-2012 07:32 AM

I've taken to opening my second ferment bottles (with fruit) *in* the kitchen sink. The bottle I opened last night was sooooo pressured. I started taking the top of, it popped the rest of the way itself, and there was so much fizz, that it bubbled up and over and even pushed all of the blueberries out. :hunh I'm not using juice in mine, but frozen blueberries, and I found that if I add 1 tablespoon of sugar to the second ferement, then it gets super fizzy!

TraceMama 06-09-2012 09:21 AM

:raise Hi! :grin I just tasted my first batch of Kombucha and I'm not sure it's right. :scratch

It tastes more like vinegar than like hard apple cider :shifty So, does that mean I let it ferment too long? :think

I used only a half gallon container, split the recipe in half, put in a cool, dry place with towel and rubberband on top, did not stir it or shake it the entire time :bag, and it fermented for 3 weeks. :doh :bag Too long, right?

A new SCOBY formed and it was up in the top of the jar and out of the liquid. Is that normal?

Also, are a few brown spots on the SCOBY normal? :think They're not green or black or fuzzy or anything, but definitely dark brown.

I'm not sure if I just want to invest in a gallon container or try again with 2 half-gallon containers and only let them ferment for a week - 10 days. :think I need to read the whole thread again and figure out when to add fruit, too. :yes

Oh, one more question: if I put the SCOBY with some fresh kombucha in the refrigerator while I figure out what to do, will it be ruined? Should I take it out of the fridge right this second?

cobluegirl 06-09-2012 09:33 AM

you can still drink it. next time don't leave it that long.

scoby sounds fine. yes you can store in fridge.

shekinah 06-09-2012 09:41 AM

Ya, the brown spots are yeast. Totally fine!

As for when to add fruit.. if you wanted to do say ten days of fermenting next time, then you would pour it into the bottles with some fruit after the ten days, seal bottles, and leave it on the counter for another week. That's called the second ferment. That's when it gets fizzy-ish and flavoured. Once that week is up, you can transfer the bottles to the fridge to stop further fermentation and enjoy cool when you go to drink them.

The new scoby forming on top of the liquid is the baby scoby. You will continue to grow new scobys. They will get thicker and stronger, and you can either discard old ones, give them to friends, start multiple batches, eat them, put them in smoothies, dehydrate them into scoby jerky, fry them up, feed them to pets, or... ya.. just discard them if you want ;)

houseforjoy 06-09-2012 12:44 PM

i only let mine sit out with fruit for a day or two. it still gets fizzy and fruity tasting. letting it sit longer will just make it taste stronger/different

SweetCaroline 06-09-2012 02:47 PM

i havent been seperating my scobys, i just transfer the whole blob into the new batch. - is that ok?