Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Dessert *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   How do I make this cake? **Updated Pics Post #30** (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=391604)

JoyGal 01-07-2011 11:54 PM

How do I make this cake? **Updated Pics Post #30**

Is there a cake decorating mama who could guide me through making this cake please :)

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...o/GCM/dora.jpg

Codi 01-08-2011 12:53 AM

Re: How do I make this cake?

Super cute! But I am not a cake decorating expert. :giggle So I have no clue!

Lily 01-08-2011 12:56 AM

Gorgeous! I have a friend who decorates cakes, let me ask her tomorrow.

SalH 01-08-2011 02:48 AM

I'm sure you will have better replies than mine. But looking at that (and i'm not bad at cakes!) I'd have not much hope! What I would do is bake 2 cakes - I'd either buy a small square tin for the top one, or actually it might be better to bake a larger oblong or square cake, and then do a sandwich layer so that you get it double thickness and benefit of jam in the middle.

Butter cream both cakes separately, and then put your roll out icing on them. I'd then decorate the bottom cake first - I think I would get a little flower cutter, and stamp out coloured flowers out of more roll out icing (do you call that fondant icing?) and stick those on the side of the cake with a little icing sugar paste. Or you could buy icing flowers to decorate it. (That's what they have done in the picture).

For the top one, I'd be tempted to use REAL ribbon to tie on top of the cake, instead of making icing strips, or if I did icing strips I would simplify the top bit.

I would also buy sweets to stick on the top layer cake instead of more roll out icing circles - for variation of taste as much as anything.

If that doesn't help at all I am sorry, but it was fun thinking about!!! xxx

JoyGal 01-08-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codi (Post 3587854)
Super cute! But I am not a cake decorating expert. :giggle So I have no clue!

:giggle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lily (Post 3587856)
Gorgeous! I have a friend who decorates cakes, let me ask her tomorrow.

Thank you!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalH (Post 3587908)
I'm sure you will have better replies than mine. But looking at that (and i'm not bad at cakes!) I'd have not much hope! What I would do is bake 2 cakes - I'd either buy a small square tin for the top one, or actually it might be better to bake a larger oblong or square cake, and then do a sandwich layer so that you get it double thickness and benefit of jam in the middle.

Butter cream both cakes separately, and then put your roll out icing on them. I'd then decorate the bottom cake first - I think I would get a little flower cutter, and stamp out coloured flowers out of more roll out icing (do you call that fondant icing?) and stick those on the side of the cake with a little icing sugar paste. Or you could buy icing flowers to decorate it. (That's what they have done in the picture).

For the top one, I'd be tempted to use REAL ribbon to tie on top of the cake, instead of making icing strips, or if I did icing strips I would simplify the top bit.

I would also buy sweets to stick on the top layer cake instead of more roll out icing circles - for variation of taste as much as anything.

If that doesn't help at all I am sorry, but it was fun thinking about!!! xxx

It could be fondant...I'm honestly not totally sure. Where would I buy it? Our area does not have a baking store, wonder if I can make it :think

StumblinMama 01-08-2011 01:19 PM

It's fondant :yes Do a search here or even on Google for "Marshmallow fondant" or "MM fondant". The pink around the base of the cakes is piped, but all of the rest appears to be fondant.

ETA: The stems and leaves are piped, too.

Can'tTurnLeft 01-08-2011 01:23 PM

You can buy fondant at Michaels or other craft stores. IMO it tastes yucky though and I would attempt to make my own fondant. Do make marshmallow fondant as real fondant is insanely hard to make the right consistency.

JessicaTX 01-08-2011 01:24 PM

Marshmallow fondant is ridiculously easy to work with, but that bow on top would be incredibly difficult. It looks like a layered round cake topped with a layered square cake, frosted, fondanted, decorated :P

StumblinMama 01-08-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessicaTX (Post 3588790)
Marshmallow fondant is ridiculously easy to work with, but that bow on top would be incredibly difficult. It looks like a layered round cake topped with a layered square cake, frosted, fondanted, decorated :P

Could you nix the bow and put Dora, Boots and Swiper (b/c he's my favorite ;) :giggle) on top instead?

RealLifeMama 01-08-2011 01:31 PM

I am not an expert, but I have done tiered cakes with bows. You will need to make your bow in advance so that it can harden up.
MM Fondant is good for eating and making cutouts, but you might find that storebought fondant is a little easier for making the bows because it is more stiff. But, if you mess up and are using MMF, you have the benefit of just being able to microwave it again and start over.

Do a search for 'fondant loop bow tutorial". They are not hard to do, my very first fondant project ever was a bow.

The ladybugs and butterfly actually look like purchased items, or else they could be color flow icing. I don't know.

I honestly can't tell what type of tip they used for the flowers. If you are already doing fondant stuff, you can just make flowers out of fondant. Maybe get some small heart cutters and use those for the petals. Then you will already have some heart cutters if you want to make cupcakes or cookies for Valentines or something.

StumblinMama 01-08-2011 01:34 PM

Would these help :whistle We'll never tell your secret.

RealLifeMama 01-08-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Can'tTurnLeft (Post 3588787)
You can buy fondant at Michaels or other craft stores. IMO it tastes yucky though and I would attempt to make my own fondant. Do make marshmallow fondant as real fondant is insanely hard to make the right consistency.

The white Wilton Fondant is not so bad anymore. It really isn't. It used to be :sick awful, but now it is not as bad.
In fact, I did a cake and cut out letters with wilton fondant and stuck them on the cake board. It was really funny to see people eat the letters. In fact, one person, whom I would consider a food snob, went on and on about how good my fondant tasted, and normally she does not eat it, but since she knew I made my own out of marshmallow, she ate it. :giggle

RiverRock 01-08-2011 01:42 PM

I agree that the flowers and bugs look store bought. Here's a link to the shell border that is used. http://www.wilton.com/technique/Shell . On the same page you can find a link to fondant if you want tips for using it. I would probably buy the fondant already made from Michael's (or anywear that sells a good assortment of Wilton cake supplies) for a first attempt.

Kiara.I 01-08-2011 02:11 PM

The flowers and the ladybugs looked like purchased pressed-sugar decorations. Grocery stores use them to decorate cakes, not sure where they get them though. I don't know what they're officially called, but they're basically like sugar cubes except in other shapes, and then airbrushed with dye for the colour.

backtobasicsmum 01-08-2011 02:15 PM

Here is the recipe for the fondant I make and use:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm
It is very easy to make and work with. :yes And it is easy to color whatever color you like.
Everyone else has given great advice! Have fun!