Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

cobluegirl 05-18-2012 10:23 AM

Re: kombucha 101 thread! *another new question #63 and 64*

nope it wouldn't be kefir.

houseforjoy 05-18-2012 01:27 PM

right water kefir you have little grains/ popcorn looking pieces

Stiina 05-18-2012 08:22 PM

ok...so what's a scoby look like for kombucha? It's more layered iirc?

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

WHOA!!! ya. ok. I googled a pic of it!! LOL totally different than kefir!! :doh

(it's way more creepy btw :shifty)

SweetCaroline 05-19-2012 02:38 PM

yeah... my 10 yr old called the SCOBY 'The Disc of Discontent"

:rolleyes :giggle

JustMandy 05-19-2012 05:49 PM

I call it the snot placenta. It's pretty disturbing. I think it took me 2-3 cycles before I would touch it. :giggle

backtobasicsmum 05-24-2012 08:35 PM

I called the scoby a piece of alien flesh the first time I saw one. :shifty :bag :giggle

I came across this little bit of info on the web tonight. 5 signs of a healthy Kombucha :tu

Hopetobe 05-24-2012 09:27 PM

I bought a 2gal jar from Target today. Is it okay to brew 1.5gal or more in 1 vessel, or will it go bad/moldy? Anyone seen or tried this?

cobluegirl 05-24-2012 09:29 PM

I think it should be fine as long as it isn't plastic.

Stiina 05-24-2012 09:52 PM

Glad to see you back here, Karisa! I've been meaning to :poke you to change the title of this thread. There's like...300 more posts after those "new questions"...:shifty :giggle

backtobasicsmum 05-25-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopetobe (Post 4649962)
I bought a 2gal jar from Target today. Is it okay to brew 1.5gal or more in 1 vessel, or will it go bad/moldy? Anyone seen or tried this?

I'm pretty sure some people brew 5 gals at a time. :yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiina (Post 4649999)
Glad to see you back here, Karisa! I've been meaning to :poke you to change the title of this thread. There's like...300 more posts after those "new questions"...:shifty :giggle

Done! :grin

SweetCaroline 05-25-2012 02:51 AM

Re: kombucha 101 thread!

so..i got nervous about it getting too vinegary and only let mine ferment 6 days. its really good :tu

but then i read that its not considered "kombucha' until its sat for at least 7 :-/ :snooty

i cant tell if its sugary.. because KT does taste sweet,but not frm the sugar. kwim? imwondering if mine was still sweet from all the sugar. it had fizz to it- and tang :shrug3 so it really did seem ready. but i dont want to be drinking lots of sugar :no will PH strips help me figure this out?

Hopetobe 05-25-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetCaroline (Post 4650127)
so..i got nervous about it getting too vinegary and only let mine ferment 6 days. its really good :tu

but then i read that its not considered "kombucha' until its sat for at least 7 :-/ :snooty

i cant tell if its sugary.. because KT does taste sweet,but not frm the sugar. kwim? imwondering if mine was still sweet from all the sugar. it had fizz to it- and tang :shrug3 so it really did seem ready. but i dont want to be drinking lots of sugar :no will PH strips help me figure this out?

Hmm....where did you read about the 7 days? Seems like it would have to be a range not just at exactly 7 days because it would totally depend on where it's being brewed, how hot it is, etc. :scratch

pH strips might help in your assessment, but they won't tell you if it's got the right flavor or if it's technically Kombucha (if there even is a "technically"?) On the Kombucha Kamp link that PP posted above, she mentions that you can test if it is in the right range, but it won't tell you if it's truly ready since it hits that range a few days before it's ready.

JustMandy 05-25-2012 12:54 PM

I think fermenting is so subjective that you couldn't set a time frame like 7 days. I know that when it was coldest this past winter, I had KT that wasn't ready for 3 weeks. It was not KT after 7 days. :no I'd really go by taste rather than time.

SweetCaroline 05-30-2012 08:22 AM

i am the kombucha master :tu

i just did a double fermentation of apple ginger :yum

did anybody notice a *signifigant* decrease in sugar cravings when you started drinking tons of KT?

i have..and boy..im glad for it :phew i know my sugar cravings have alot to do with candida :think

passthemanna 05-30-2012 08:55 AM

I've noticed a huge decrease in appetite in general....so much that I actually need to force myself to eat a bit more than I'd like to so my milk supply isn't dropping...oh well...I guess I *have* to eat tons of cashew butter and avocado :P~ I've been working out a lot too. Every other time in my life I've worked out this much I've been a bottomless pit. I'm also eating much healthier than I ever have so I think I'm not starving for nutrients.

SweetCaroline 05-30-2012 09:25 AM

i havent been eating as much either!! i figured it was because summer was coming on and it gets so hot :crazy2

hey..i had 5 pounds i wanted to loose. WIN! :dance

JustMandy 05-30-2012 09:50 AM

How much kombucha do you drink a day?

SweetCaroline 05-30-2012 10:03 AM

a grip load

idk..maybe 2 pints? over the whole day..but its 1:00..and i've already had a pint

ETA: i just looked it up and it appears that i may be drinking too much :neutral.

whatever i think i'll do what i want :snooty

JenLovie 05-30-2012 10:17 AM

Interesting tidbit: Kombucha is considered an L5 in Medications and Mother's Milk. It's classified with lead, LSD, cocaine and mercury. :giggle Not really comparable, Dr. Hale, not really.

SweetCaroline 05-30-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenLovie (Post 4659996)
Interesting tidbit: Kombucha is considered an L5 in Medications and Mother's Milk. It's classified with lead, LSD, cocaine and mercury. :giggle Not really comparable, Dr. Hale, not really.

:jawdrop

Dovenoir 05-30-2012 10:48 AM

I've lost my taste for the KT. Even the batch that I loved last week.. just blah.

Silly hormone changes.

passthemanna 05-30-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenLovie (Post 4659996)

I would love to know why they say that...I try not to drink more than 16 oz/day.

JenLovie 05-30-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by passthemanna (Post 4660608)
I would love to know why they say that...I try not to drink more than 16 oz/day.

It's my understanding that Dr. Hale isn't a huge fan of homeopathic stuff and hasn't spent time researching it. I know kombucha isn't a homeopathic, but it kinda falls into that type of category.

Stiina 05-30-2012 03:53 PM

Ok SC, was your double fermented apple ginger actually good? cause I still don't want to taste it if it's all cider-y or wine-y. :shifty

JenLovie 05-30-2012 04:53 PM

Just tasted my first real batch after growing my scoby. Still too sweet so I'll check it tomorrow.

NewLeaf 05-30-2012 06:36 PM

subbing. :)

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Okay, I'm back after reading the whole thread. :phew

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetCaroline (Post 4659970)
ETA: i just looked it up and it appears that i may be drinking too much :neutral.

whatever i think i'll do what i want :snooty

This made me laugh. :lol

I've been buying it bottled and I crave it all the time so I'm going to start soon. I've got to get some jars and some black tea. I'm thinking I might do it at my mom's house because she has the space. I can see trying to put it somewhere around here and the babies getting into it. I'd be traumatized.

JenLovie 05-30-2012 06:55 PM

Newleaf, if you were closer we could meet and I could give you a scoby and some mother tea.

NewLeaf 05-30-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenLovie (Post 4661163)
Newleaf, if you were closer we could meet and I could give you a scoby and some mother tea.

Are you going to the meetup on Friday? :eyebrows

JenLovie 05-30-2012 06:58 PM

I should go see about that, but I probably won't be. My mom is in town and I'm recovering from a hernia repair.

NewLeaf 05-30-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenLovie (Post 4661174)
I should go see about that, but I probably won't be. My mom is in town and I'm recovering from a hernia repair.

Oh I didn't know that! I hope your recovery is a smooth one. :heart

SweetCaroline 05-31-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiina (Post 4660723)
Ok SC, was your double fermented apple ginger actually good? cause I still don't want to taste it if it's all cider-y or wine-y. :shifty

well...I think so. it was ginger-y. but ya know..kombucha tastes cidery. is it possible that you just dont like kombucha? :duck

Stiina 05-31-2012 11:06 AM

I dunno, I've never tried it. But I WANT to, but all this "it's SOOO good, it tastes like cider!!!" is making me nervous!!

easygoinmomma 05-31-2012 12:09 PM

Stiina, my favorite is grape. So the second ferment I add grape juice to it and then when I go to drink it I do 3/4 grape kombucha and a 1/4 grape juice. It is yummy and not cider-y or wine-y.

backtobasicsmum 05-31-2012 12:17 PM

I don't think my tastes to much like cider either. But I probably stop the fermentation process a wee bit earlier than most gals here would. Works for us!

SweetCaroline 05-31-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiina (Post 4662549)
I dunno, I've never tried it. But I WANT to, but all this "it's SOOO good, it tastes like cider!!!" is making me nervous!!

well...its different. its got 'bite' to it.its hard to explain.

Stiina 05-31-2012 01:41 PM

looking forward to trying it :) Going to buy a bottle from the hfs when I get back from my trip next week. I wanted to do water kefir first but I don't know anyone with the grains.

SweetCaroline 05-31-2012 03:32 PM

question:

i seperated my flavored kt into pint jars. and one of them grew,what appears to be, a new little scoby. :scratch

why did that happen? it was only sitting out for a little less than 2 days.

normal?

NewLeaf 05-31-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetCaroline (Post 4663027)
question:

i seperated my flavored kt into pint jars. and one of them grew,what appears to be, a new little scoby. :scratch

why did that happen? it was only sitting out for a little less than 2 days.

normal?

It's a live culture. It will always be growing. If it's in the fridge it slows down drastically but it's still growing. :)

Someone bought bottles or jars to help with the fizz and I can't remember which page that was on. I want really fizzy kt. :yum Can someone show me the link again? :)

backtobasicsmum 05-31-2012 03:51 PM

I agree. It's perfectly normal for a new little scoby to grow in your flavored ferment. :yes

These are the bottles I got, that really help make my kt fizzy.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50108908/

It doesn't always happen, but I hope up a bottle in my sink now, b/c some of them are so fizzy, they completely overflow. :giggle

SweetCaroline 05-31-2012 03:56 PM

:scratch howcome only 1 of them did it..and not all 3?