Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

easygoinmomma 10-03-2012 02:21 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread!

:yes I've kept mine in the fridge for a few days.

shekinah 10-03-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedmamaofmany (Post 4884974)
I AM OUT OF SUGAR! :hissyfit

Can I keep my SCOBY in the fridge until tomorrow??

:doh Thanks for reminding me! I gotta get some before this batch is done too.

blondie 10-03-2012 07:51 PM

Soooo...My scoby's just been chillin in a little bit of tea for....over a week now. :shifty It's okay, right ?! IDK why it's so hard for me to just fill it up with tea, sugar and water!!

LearningMama 10-04-2012 09:27 PM

:help

So I've been trying to grow my mother for just over two weeks. I got the SCOBY and was given instructions to start at this point
Quote:

This time, make a quart of tea. Heat four cups water to the boil, add 1/3 cup sugar, and steep with 2 tea bags or 2 tablespoons black tea...
from these directions http://www.paprikahead.com/2009/07/h...ucha-from.html
So after just over 2 weeks this is what I have
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e21519ecd9.jpg
What should I do now? Do I let it continue to grow or can I start brewing? I really want to get started.:yes

I used unbleached sugar if that affects anything.

HadassahSukkot 10-05-2012 03:16 AM

that looks plenty big enough to use to me.

HomeWithMyBabies 10-05-2012 05:09 AM

Mine was smaller and I graduated her. I don't know yet how it will turn out but I was able to move her into the other jug and everything looks normal so far. As normal as rotting tea will look. :shrug3

solatido 10-05-2012 05:45 AM

Rotting tea :giggle

I will not look at my jar.

Seriously, though. It's only been two days so there can't have been much change.

SweetCaroline 10-05-2012 05:46 AM

its not rotting! :snooty

its becoming greater :yes

entropy does not apply to KT

HomeWithMyBabies 10-05-2012 05:49 AM

It's far more dramatic when I tell people I'm letting my tea rot. :shifty

HadassahSukkot 10-05-2012 06:03 AM

:giggle

LearningMama 10-05-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot (Post 4888172)
that looks plenty big enough to use to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies (Post 4888209)
Mine was smaller and I graduated her. I don't know yet how it will turn out but I was able to move her into the other jug and everything looks normal so far. As normal as rotting tea will look. :shrug3

Thanks! I'm going to get it started today!

HomeWithMyBabies 10-05-2012 07:18 AM

I just checked her and she's already growing her own baby. SCOBY babies having babies. This makes me a grandma which means I get a mid morning nap.

JenLovie 10-05-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies (Post 4888424)
I just checked her and she's already growing her own baby. SCOBY babies having babies. This makes me a grandma which means I get a mid morning nap.

:giggle I love your logic.

Stiina 10-05-2012 03:14 PM

BAHAHAHAHA That was SO funny!!!!

I saw a licence plate in the city today - "Let Me Tell You About My Grandchildren".

Are you going to carry their photos in your wallet? :roll

blessedmamaofmany 10-06-2012 04:01 PM

HELP! I'm so upset. I put up my last batch to double brew with fruit juice like usual.

IT MOLDED. Every last jar is covered with a layer of white mold :sick

What happened?? The only thing I did differently is use some plastic reusable lids from walmart. They don't come in contact with the kt anyways...maybe it didn't seal tight enough? There's no fizz...so maybe those lids aren't a good enough seal to keep it from molding.

:mutter

:doh

SweetCaroline 10-06-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedmamaofmany (Post 4891176)
HELP! I'm so upset. I put up my last batch to double brew with fruit juice like usual.

What happened?? The only thing I did differently is use some plastic reusable lids from walmart. They don't come in contact with the kt anyways...maybe it didn't seal tight enough? There's no fizz...so maybe those lids aren't a good enough seal to keep it from molding.

are you sure its mold? my double ferments always grow a foggy looking baby over the surface.

blessedmamaofmany 10-06-2012 05:03 PM

this looks distinctly moldy. All my double ferments up till now would get a bit of foggy baby over it, but this is bright white and spotty. I'm going out tonight, but I'll take a pic tomorrow.

SweetCaroline 10-06-2012 05:11 PM

oh. :-/ yeah..sounds, most assuredly, like mold. thats a drag.

shekinah 10-06-2012 05:38 PM

I use the plastic lids and haven't had any trouble. :scratch I wonder what the issue was. Would the PH have anything to do with it, like if you didn't leave it long enough before bottling or something?

Stiina 10-06-2012 09:35 PM

awwwwwww Sandy that is the PITS!!! I'm sorry :(

Soliloquy 10-07-2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solatido (Post 4884136)
Allllllrighty, I tossed my SCOBY and the very vinegar-ish liquid into a gallon jar with fresh sweet tea! The house is in the mid 60s, so should I give it a full week before sampling?

at that temperature it might take 2-3 weeks. Taste it after one week and then every week after that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetCaroline (Post 4888263)
its not rotting! :snooty

its becoming greater :yes

entropy does not apply to KT

You get 1,000 bonus points for using the word entropy. I love that word. :kiss

Quote:

Originally Posted by blessedmamaofmany (Post 4891176)

:( I would throw everything out (SCOBYS) that was used to make that batch, wash everything in super hot water, and start over. I'm so sorry. :cry It is not worth your health, though. Ingesting mold is bad bad bad bad.

SweetCaroline 10-08-2012 05:03 AM

sandy..thats so lame! i know it took you forever to grow that scoby :(

zak 10-08-2012 05:21 AM

My first batch back in the swing of things.... Totally moldy. :(

MIL is mailing me a scoby today tho. :)

SweetCaroline 10-08-2012 05:24 AM

wheres the sage smudge smiley?

no mold...no mold...no mold....

:shifty

blessedmamaofmany 10-08-2012 06:21 AM

:hissyfit

You're right of course. I just started a new batch, but I'll throw everything out today and start over. It's worth the extra work to not have mold. I wonder what happened? :think

Oh well. Could be worse. I could have drunk that crap. :shiver. By the time I got around to throwing out the molded brew, it had brown and white FUZZ on the top. :sick

blondie 10-08-2012 08:44 AM

My scoby is still just sitting in a tiny bit of tea. :doh I always forget to get it brewing again.

solatido 10-09-2012 10:59 AM

Here is my 'bucha on day 6! The SCOBY mama sank to the bottom when I moved it but left the (very) thin baby on top. I didn't kill it, did I? :nails

HadassahSukkot 10-09-2012 11:29 AM

It looks pretty! My original is a wedge (really thick actually... like as thick as my thumb!) and it sinks the first week, and then floats from there making a lovely little baby for me to look at after that.

HomeWithMyBabies 10-09-2012 12:31 PM

My booch looks weird! I started it on the third of the month and it's got a nice baby growing on top of one of the gallons. However there is like a pocket of air in there between the layers, a big one, and there's like, clumpy dark stuff in the pocket. It looks like yeast is hanging off the bottom, so I guess it's normal? My other gallon is split in half by the large SCOBY that is almost on the bottom at an angle. I can see the light tea on top and darker below but the baby SCOBY isn't as developed (that is my second/third generation SCOBY so maybe that's why?)

I don't know, it all looks preeeetttyyyy weird to me. I hope it's ok.

I WANT SOME TEA!!!

backtobasicsmum 10-09-2012 12:56 PM

Homewithmybabies...that all sounds normal to me. If I get a big air pocket in there, sometime I just poke the scoby with a clean finger. :shrug

HadassahSukkot 10-09-2012 02:38 PM

I have one that is super lumpy this go around. It keeps getting air trapped in/under it, and I keep going and poking at it with a clean finger. :roll

JenLovie 10-09-2012 06:01 PM

I need to get sugar and a second vessel for brewing. Since its starting toget cooler here I need to make sure I have brews alternating so I don't run out of KT.

SweetCaroline 10-10-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenLovie (Post 4897058)
I need to get sugar and a second vessel for brewing. Since its starting toget cooler here I need to make sure I have brews alternating so I don't run out of KT.

yep, me too..i marked it on my calendar ..im supposed to start another gallon today. the whole thought of staggering my batches just right is stressing me out a little. :nails :crazy

HomeWithMyBabies 10-10-2012 08:59 AM

My vessals have a little chalk board thing on them and that's where I write the date.

I am so cool.

It still looks gross and I am out of my store bought gingerade, and not feeling so hot digestive wise. :blah

SweetCaroline 10-10-2012 09:27 AM

my vessals.

i like that. makes it sound so distinguished.

Thankfulforgrace 10-10-2012 04:24 PM

So I'm wondering if I did this right... For the second brew I put in fruit purée and let it sit at room temp for another week right? It tastes good but I'm worried about food poisoning us all.... :shifty

melliethepooh 10-10-2012 08:09 PM

Two days is plenty for the second ferment. That said, mine have been on the counter for, oh, a week now :shifty

Soliloquy 10-10-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thankfulforgrace (Post 4898897)
So I'm wondering if I did this right... For the second brew I put in fruit purée and let it sit at room temp for another week right? It tastes good but I'm worried about food poisoning us all.... :shifty

Tightly sealed. It's alive. Not all that different from leaving fresh fruit out for a week or keeping onions & potatoes in the pantry.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thankfulforgrace 10-11-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM (Post 4899535)
Tightly sealed. It's alive. Not all that different from leaving fresh fruit out for a week or keeping onions & potatoes in the pantry.

Is a ball canning jar might not be a good idea because it won't be tightly sealed?

Soliloquy 10-11-2012 07:25 AM

It's not anaerobic but it should work if you cap it tightly. I don't have enough EZ Cap bottles and use other kinds, in addition.