Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

joysworld 04-13-2012 04:40 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread! *another new question #63 and 64*

Just finished my first batch, and the kids have already drank a quart and working on their second :shifty They are calling it lemonade.

houseforjoy 04-19-2012 03:37 PM

just be careful -- sometimes in induces major stinky tooter rooters :shifty

and i still can't find my bucha info, dh had it last to show some co workers so i will try and remember to ask him about it tonight

easygoinmomma 04-19-2012 04:13 PM

:think Do you think it would/could cause smelly gas in a nurseling?

houseforjoy 04-20-2012 07:28 AM

if you are drinking a lot of it then it could if the newborn is dealing with any yeast/thrush type issues.

easygoinmomma 04-20-2012 07:49 AM

I drink one medium glass a day and I don't think he has any yeast problems. So many that's no it.

backtobasicsmum 04-20-2012 08:47 AM

Since you've been drinking kombucha for a while now, I wouldn't think it would be suddenly causing baby problems. :shrug3

easygoinmomma 04-20-2012 12:12 PM

I had to stop a few weeks before he was born because it gave me such bad heart burn. Then I started it again after he was born. So I was just wondering if that might be the cause of his smelly gas since he has had smelly gas since very early on.

backtobasicsmum 04-20-2012 12:17 PM

I really don't know. :hug Maybe poke someone like LisaM who seems to be very knowledgable about kombucha?

Soliloquy 04-20-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treehugginmama (Post 4566024)
What causes moldy Kombucha. I was so excited got my new bottles today and when I pulled my kombucha down off the shelf the entire top scoby and tea is covered in mold. I could cry.

Using anything other than plain black tea, using generic tea, brewing in the same area as potatoes or other ferments, not adding at least 1/2 of finished kombucha with the fresh tea ...

Any of those apply?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Soliloquy 04-20-2012 12:28 PM

Sorry, I see you already replied. Use black tea. I know some ppl do ok using green but you're taking a risk. Plus the fermentation is more complete with black tea.

Black tea has more tannins. Green tea has more antioxidants. Kombucha SCOBYs like tannins.

Dovenoir 04-20-2012 12:48 PM

Splitting a scoby.

What would make you want to do it and how would you?

cobluegirl 04-20-2012 12:53 PM

if it gets too big/thick you want to splite it. You can split it any way.. cut in half or tear apart etc.

Dovenoir 04-20-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM (Post 4587232)
Using anything other than plain black tea, using generic tea, brewing in the same area as potatoes or other ferments, not adding at least 1/2 of finished kombucha with the fresh tea ...

So... my water kefir should be stored how far away? (potatoes and other foods are stored in pantry. 1 gallon kombucha and kefir on the fridge, fruit about 5 feet away on the microwave.

<trying to picture how far away it needs to be.>

joysworld 04-21-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM (Post 4587232)

Any of those apply?

I have yet to find plain black tea. The black tea I have also has Orange Pekoe, it's Lipton's black tea.

Dovenoir 04-21-2012 09:06 AM

Orange pekoe describes a particular grade of black tea. Black describes the processing of the leaves.

joysworld 04-21-2012 09:13 AM

Thank you!! I was so confused because every thing of black tea that I looked at had black and orange pekoe. Huge relief:)

Soliloquy 04-21-2012 04:17 PM

If you let your SCOBYs get too thick, they won't make thick babies. That has been happening to me, I've been leaving them together for too long.

treehugginmama 04-22-2012 04:53 PM

Ok I'm going to do black. She gives me a SCOBY though, can I make a black tea batch with a Green Tea SCOBY?

Soliloquy 04-22-2012 06:29 PM

Yes

joysworld 04-22-2012 06:39 PM

When is thick, too thick?

cobluegirl 04-22-2012 06:52 PM

haha no idea.. my thickest was about 4"

Soliloquy 04-23-2012 08:20 AM

I'd say anything more than an inch.

passthemanna 04-23-2012 05:15 PM

I think mine is finished! It's tasty. I'm going to try it with the fruit puree. I'm planning on brewing up some tea tonight so I can start a fresh batch tomorrow.

JenLovie 04-24-2012 11:25 AM

How big of a container do I need to start? 1 gallon sized? Bigger? DH is going to think I've gone off the deep end.

passthemanna 04-24-2012 11:29 AM

I've only made one batch. I'm using 80 oz glass pickle jars.

backtobasicsmum 04-24-2012 12:15 PM

A one gallon glass jar is a great way to start, Jennifer. :yes

passthemanna 04-24-2012 12:55 PM

so I'm curious- what is the calorie count and sugar content of the final product? Is the sugar still sugar or does it get ummm "digested" into something else? :scratch

cobluegirl 04-24-2012 01:35 PM

the scoby eats most of the sugar.

Soliloquy 04-24-2012 01:42 PM

It depends, it will be slightly different every time. But there is some residual sugar. Most of the sugar is consumed by the SCOBY, especially if you do two ferments. The SCOBY uses the sugar to make all kinds of vitamins.

If having the least amount of sugar is important, ferment it until the pH is around 3, then bottle it for a second ferment.

To get an idea of calories and total carbs, look at a bottle of original GT's. I think it's 2g per serving.

joysworld 04-24-2012 09:26 PM

Do mammas always have babies? My momma batch just finished, but didn't have a baby.

houseforjoy 04-25-2012 07:47 AM

it sometimes isn't always easy to tell, the baby grows right on top of the mother scoby. did you try peeling it at all or seeing if there was a spot to peel it off?

JustMandy 04-25-2012 02:01 PM

Mine didn't make babies for most of the winter and now it's making more than I can keep up with.

Soliloquy 04-25-2012 06:02 PM

There should always be a baby. Always. They can often be stuck to the mother but if there truly is no baby your culture is off. Bbl with a link with more info.

joysworld 04-25-2012 06:28 PM

It maybe stuck then. I don't touch the thing, too ewed out by it :bag. It's in it's hotel now waiting for the second ferment to be done. When I start a new batch, I will touch it and see. *gag*

Soliloquy 04-26-2012 10:13 AM

You should split them, not keep them together indefinitely.

passthemanna 04-26-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaM (Post 4597527)
You should split them, not keep them together indefinitely.

are you saying the scoby needs to be split every time? I just tore mine down the middle last time so I could make 2 batches. Do I need to try to peel it too or should it be ok?

Soliloquy 04-26-2012 05:31 PM

Not every time is necessary unless you get really thick babies, but every time is ok. If your mother is too thick it will "starve" and your new baby will be thin. Not the worst thing but a healthy kt cycle will produce decent babies each time.

Stiina 04-28-2012 09:24 PM

only read the frirst 8 pages but i'm subbing. Karisa/Norma I'll have to get scobys from you :heart

Stiina 04-29-2012 08:33 AM

wait a sec. I just had a thought. I read a blog post on Crunchy Betty on water kefir....it sounds very similar to KT...what's the difference??

Also...I've seen it said that to start KT you need a piece of SCOBY *and* a cup or two of alreaedy brewed tea. Fine...but...who started this all? How did THEY start it? Surely there's a way to start it from scratch?

Like how you don't really need a package of sourdough starter (you just start with flour and water to start your own starter)...just thinking out loud ;)

Soliloquy 04-29-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiina (Post 4602597)
wait a sec. I just had a thought. I read a blog post on Crunchy Betty on water kefir....it sounds very similar to KT...what's the difference??

Also...I've seen it said that to start KT you need a piece of SCOBY *and* a cup or two of alreaedy brewed tea. Fine...but...who started this all? How did THEY start it? Surely there's a way to start it from scratch?

Like how you don't really need a package of sourdough starter (you just start with flour and water to start your own starter)...just thinking out loud ;)

They are both dynamic, self-sustainable ferments using SCOBYs. The strains are different therefore their food and culture timeframe is different, and they have somewhat different benefits. Most people prefer the taste of kombucha although water kefir can be quite delicious. If you have gut flora imbalance then a variety of ferments is is needed, every villain has it's weak spot- for every pathogenic microorganism there is a beneficial one that will kick it's butt. So, some ppl find more healing with one type of ferment than another.

If you just like the taste and health benefits but don't have any serious issues, choose whichever ferments you like the best.

There is quite the legend and folklore regarding how SCOBYs came into existence. I imagine that they started growing in the milk, tea, and fruit water and people discovered it was good and perpetuated the SCOBYs. They all have histories going back over 1,000 years, iirc, and the tradition is that they were a gift from God. :heart They all originated near the Caucus mountains or China, iirc. You can read about the history of kombucha and kefir on various sites. I like "Dom's Kefir In-site"

Theoretically you could try and cultivate a SCOBY from just fresh milk or fresh sweet tea, you'd probably end up with a lot of moldy tea and clabbered milk, though. Personally, I don't think the conditions in our world are healthy enough to do it, back then there was no air pollution aside from smoke, there was no plastic or glass, who knows how much of it had to do with the leather bag holding the milk or the wooden bowl holding the tea or the life-giving dirt that was clean and pure and basically everywhere ...