Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Help-sending food to someone who's grieving? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525967)

KSL 08-22-2018 08:40 AM

Help-sending food to someone who's grieving?

Ladies, my best friend from college's brother in law died after a year long battle with cancer yesterday. My friend is with her sister now, helping her for the next few weeks.

I want to send something practical/helpful. They are several states away, so it has to be something I can order online/over the phone and have delivered. I remember when my mom died, our friends were so wonderful-- dropping off food, stocking our fridge, etc. If they lived close, this would be easy- I'd text my friend and let her know I was dropping a meal off inside a cooler on front porch, and I'd add cookies/fresh fruit/cheese and crackers, a case sparkling water/etc.

But since I am so far away I am not sure what to do. I thought perhaps an edible arrangement delivery? But that seems almost festive, which isn't what I am going for. I am very unfamiliar with the area where my friend's sister lives (it's in Colorado, just outside Denver). Should I ask my friend if I can have dinner or lunch delivered from a local restaurant? See if a local bakery would be able to deliver pastries and coffee?

Aerynne 08-22-2018 09:00 AM

Re: Help-sending food to someone who's grieving?

Costco delivers for free. Or Instacart. You can get ready made meals from local stores from Instacart. For instance Costco has raw fresh pizzas, chicken wrap trays, veggie trays, soups, precooked rice, frozen potstickers, rotisserie chickens, muffins, rolls, bagged salads, etc.

If you are not a Costco member I will let you use my membership number.

CelticJourney 08-22-2018 09:07 AM

I recommend sending a gift certificate to a local restaurant.

When my dad died, we also had people bring food, but it got out of hand to the point that one friend asked what she could do and I asked her to come and pick up some of the food because there was no way we could eat everything before it went bad.

Hermana Linda 08-22-2018 09:15 AM

A visa gift card is accepted anywhere. :think

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

KSL 08-22-2018 09:17 AM

Thank you so much Erin-- I didn't realize Coscto delivers. You are SO kind to offer to let me use your membership number- I have a Coscto membership already. I just live literally blocks away from my Costco, so never had need to investigate delivery.

Elizabeth- good point! I think I'll text my friend and ask if she'd prefer gift certificate or a Costco delivery. She will be honest with me. And I imagine I can get the gift certificate delivered "online" somehow so she has it right away if I go with a chain restaurant.

I really appreciate the ideas. Thank you.

Hermana Linda 08-22-2018 09:19 AM

If they don't need food, maybe a house cleaning service? I doubt they feel like cleaning. Or maybe gardening, that's less invasive.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

bananacake 08-22-2018 09:20 AM

I loved my Edible arrangement when my dad died.

In case they are getting a lot of food, you could bring something that freezes well. Alternately, bringing a few freezer meals that cook easily as needed is a great idea.

Virginia 08-22-2018 10:56 AM

I second Edible Arrangement or gift card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk