Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Falafel! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527367)

knitlove 07-11-2019 10:24 PM

Falafel!

I really really want to make falafel I have had kind of abismal messes two times and one time ( the first time) it actually worked but I have no idea what I did differently.

Do you have a tried and true falafel recipe? I would love to see it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Vicki_T 07-12-2019 08:56 AM

Re: Falafel!

Following because mine come from a packet :bag I'd love a foolproof recipe though!

twoplustwo 07-12-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicki_T (Post 6186035)
Following because mine come from a packet :bag I'd love a foolproof recipe though!

I also just make it from a packet :shifty - the kind where you just add water and make the balls - but am willing to try from scratch IF it's not too much for me.

Aerynne 07-12-2019 09:24 AM

Another one here who has only made it from a mix. Love falafel, though!

knitlove 07-12-2019 09:52 AM

All the mixes that I have seen have wheat flour in them Soni have only tried it from scratch useing my own flour blend.

ViolaMum 07-15-2019 07:16 AM

Here's what I do:

8 oz dried chickpeas

1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
1/2 bunch fresh parsley
3-4 fresh scallions, in 1 inch pieces
2-3 cloves garlic. minced
1½ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
pinch of cayenne pepper (or black pepper if you prefer)

Soak chickpeas in water for 18-24 hours. Drain well and put in the food processor with herbs and spices. Pulse, scraping down the sides as necessary, until beans are finely minced, almost a thick paste. They should hold together when pressed. If the mixture falls apart, process longer.

Remove from food pro and form into balls. I use a spring-loaded ice cream scoop to get consistent sized balls - about the size of a ping pong ball.

Heat about a quart of vegetable oil (or coconut) in a heavy pot on the stove to 325 degrees. Fry in batches for 5-8 minutes until deep golden brown.

If you don't fry much, it helps to play around with the pot on the stove at first. The temperature will fluctuate as you add food and you will probably have to adjust the burner. I heat the oil a little above 325 (340 or so on my stove) because it drops as soon as I add the falafel; you want to maintain that 325 while they are cooking. I also always do a test falafel or two - it can be difficult to determine if they are cooked through well from just the outside color, especially if your oil temp fluctuates a lot. Sacrificing one or two to quality control is important!

Vicki_T 07-15-2019 01:55 PM

Thanks ViolaMum! Is it important to use dried rather than canned chickpeas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katigre 07-15-2019 02:13 PM

We have a gluten free falafel mix that's really good. Let me see if I can find it.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

It was a Trader Joe's mix that was wheat flour free iirc.

The Tickle Momster 07-15-2019 02:14 PM

I choose not to fry my falafel. Takes too long and I need to many with my crew. I dollop them onto stoneware baking sheets and bake. I can make about 18/sheet.

knitlove 07-15-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tickle Momster (Post 6186328)
I choose not to fry my falafel. Takes too long and I need to many with my crew. I dollop them onto stoneware baking sheets and bake. I can make about 18/sheet.

How long do you bake them? how hot?

The Tickle Momster 07-15-2019 07:49 PM

Made them tonight. :yum 350* for about 20 minutes. They should be firm and crusty to the touch.

I have to quad the recipe to feed my troops. I'll see if I can find the link.

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Here it is. It's a crock pot recipe. I just adapted it for the oven.

ViolaMum 07-16-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicki_T (Post 6186325)
Thanks ViolaMum! Is it important to use dried rather than canned chickpeas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES!! I made them for years with canned beans, because, well, that's what all the recipes said to do. But they NEVER , EVER tasted like the falafel stands. Or our favorite Middle Eastern restaurant. The texture was always off. I usually baked them, tried frying once or twice and they just fell apart. So I gave up.

Then I taught a Cooking Around the World class at our homeschool co-op a couple of years ago. As I was doing my research, I found a couple of ethnic cookbooks that used dried beans in falafel. I tried it out and the difference was astounding. It was one of those "Eureka!" moments for me.

I've never tried baking them, but that's certainly a possibility. In that case I think I'd make patties as opposed to golf balls. I so seldom fry anything that I usually splurge on the calories and just make them authentic. Get a big enough pot and you can fry a lot at once. They don't have to be hot when served.

bananacake 07-16-2019 01:58 PM

I've made this one, which I can't eat anymore:
https://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/2...el-recipe.html

I absolutely love falafel!

knitlove 07-16-2019 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6186363)
YES!! I made them for years with canned beans, because, well, that's what all the recipes said to do. But they NEVER , EVER tasted like the falafel stands. Or our favorite Middle Eastern restaurant. The texture was always off. I usually baked them, tried frying once or twice and they just fell apart. So I gave up.

Then I taught a Cooking Around the World class at our homeschool co-op a couple of years ago. As I was doing my research, I found a couple of ethnic cookbooks that used dried beans in falafel. I tried it out and the difference was astounding. It was one of those "Eureka!" moments for me.

I've never tried baking them, but that's certainly a possibility. In that case I think I'd make patties as opposed to golf balls. I so seldom fry anything that I usually splurge on the calories and just make them authentic. Get a big enough pot and you can fry a lot at once. They don't have to be hot when served.

This is really e to know. I am excited to try it with soaked but not canned beans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6186382)
I've made this one, which I can't eat anymore:
https://www.ayearofslowcooking.com/2...el-recipe.html

I absolutely love falafel!

What allcant you eat in it the wheat? Can you do the egg?

ViolaMum 07-16-2019 06:07 PM

If it's the egg, I'd try it without and bake them in the oven. There's no egg in traditional falafel. It's the slow-cooking that could require it as a binder, but then again, there are plenty of egg subs out there that might work, too. A whole egg would add fat and soften the texture of the falafel while adding some rise and binding. Baking powder might be enough.

(But really, BK you should fry them. :duck Falafel is meant to be fried. It's just not the same. It's like baked donuts vs Kane's. No comparison. :giggle Seriously, let me know sometime and i'll make them for you!)

Vicki_T 07-16-2019 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViolaMum (Post 6186363)

That's useful - thank you!

bananacake 07-18-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6186390)
This is really e to know. I am excited to try it with soaked but not canned beans.

What allcant you eat in it the wheat? Can you do the egg?

We used GF bread, but I can't do eggs.

It's not at all authentic to use egg or bread :giggle But I won't deep fry them, simply because that's way too much work and wasted oil :bag So I needed another option.

knitlove 07-18-2019 11:03 AM

The one time I made falafel work. I cooked it in my waffel maker it was great! Waffled falafel!

knitlove 08-09-2019 07:16 PM

I started my chick peas soaking when I started dinner ( 3 hours ago) with the intention of making falafel for lunchhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ac63f63dbd.jpg

knitlove 08-10-2019 01:17 PM

They worked out great!!

I must admit I didn't get them I put them.in the oven in a very generously oiled sheet pan and brushed oil on the top.

I though they were wonderful. I even got some.almond milk yogart and made taziki sauce.

The children however did not enjoy them. Early bird wouldn't even try it.

ViolaMum 08-13-2019 08:11 AM

Yay! Glad it worked out.

Sorry your kidlets didn't appreciate them. :hug2

My oldest used to turn her nose up at falafel, but asked for them for her birthday dinner this year. So there's hope! (Of course, she insisted they were the authentic, fried variety. :rolleyes)

knitlove 08-13-2019 12:27 PM

The kids not liking them isn't all bad it means I get to eat them for lunch today.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...22bb8b10f9.jpg