Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Cloth diapers and which laundry detergents to use/avoid - a wonderful chart! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=162905)

called2bfree 06-08-2010 05:24 PM

Re: Cloth diapers and which laundry detergents to use/avoid - a wonderful chart!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roma (Post 508033)
i didn't try tide free and clear because all free and clear didn't work. i have super hard water. i'll try sun i guess.

We love Rockin' Green and it was designed for hard water. Great for the stinkies, too!

delightedmama 07-08-2010 06:23 PM

Re: Cloth diapers and which laundry detergents to use/avoid - a wonderful chart!

Does anyone make their own detergent? I stuck to the list and all was well while Stateside, but I'm back in China and can't find a detergent that doesn't make the dipes repellent. Lots of leaks (that are more like spills, since it's not that the diaper's soaked, it's just not soaking it in!)

BTW I don't have any ingredients like borax or glycerin, and I don't know what washing soda is so I don't know whether I have it!! I do have bar soap, baking soda, and vinegar, though the BumGenius directions say not to use vinegar... I don't understand why, and I've written but not heard back.

mumsark8 07-15-2010 01:22 AM

This buy far is the best list I've seen.thanks.

flowermama 03-01-2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delightedmama (Post 3193693)
Does anyone make their own detergent? I stuck to the list and all was well while Stateside, but I'm back in China and can't find a detergent that doesn't make the dipes repellent. Lots of leaks (that are more like spills, since it's not that the diaper's soaked, it's just not soaking it in!)

BTW I don't have any ingredients like borax or glycerin, and I don't know what washing soda is so I don't know whether I have it!! I do have bar soap, baking soda, and vinegar, though the BumGenius directions say not to use vinegar... I don't understand why, and I've written but not heard back.

I know your post is pretty old, but I've been looking through the stickies this morning and saw your post and was wondering how things turned out. :hug Did you make your own detergent or did you find a store-bought type that worked better than what you were using? :think And did you ever find out why the BumGenius directions said not to use vinegar? :think

milkmommy 03-01-2011 11:39 AM

:giggle my cloth diapering experience is to use detergents totally NOT reccomended by these charts and avoid the reccomended ones like the plague. The worst stink and rash I've had with Margaret was with RnG... I use dreft on her diapers now and love it.
I'd use a greener detergent if it worked but I've yet to find any..
Deanna

eoconnel 03-01-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmommy (Post 3727999)
:giggle my cloth diapering experience is to use detergents totally NOT reccomended by these charts and avoid the reccomended ones like the plague. The worst stink and rash I've had with Margaret was with RnG... I use dreft on her diapers now and love it.
I'd use a greener detergent if it worked but I've yet to find any..
Deanna

:yes Same here.

delightedmama 03-02-2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowermama (Post 3727905)
I know your post is pretty old, but I've been looking through the stickies this morning and saw your post and was wondering how things turned out. :hug Did you make your own detergent or did you find a store-bought type that worked better than what you were using? :think And did you ever find out why the BumGenius directions said not to use vinegar? :think

Ooo, thanks for checking in!

As far as what works, I found that soapnuts are commonly used in Chinese traditional medicine so I bought a half-kilo for less than even the cheapest detergents, and began washing in soapnut liquid. I have to use cold water most of the time but once a month I fill up buckets with hot water (boiled or from a different source) to do a hot-water wash, which seems to work to "strip" any build-up.

The BumGenius guys said that vinegar can mess up the elastic. I'm not sure how that'd be worse than a drier, which we don't use but they say is okay to do. But we haven't needed to try the vinegar anyway so it's alright!

milkmommy 03-02-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure how that'd be worse than a drier, which we don't use but they say is okay to do. But we haven't needed to try the vinegar anyway so it's alright!
a dryer is fine. I dryer dry all my diaper covers ect on hight heat and I have some that have been in my stash/possion since 2003 :giggle. You just dont want to pull at covers diapers elastic when hot allow them to cool. I've also made vinager a fairly regular part of our CD rountinue with out any issues.

Deanna

flowermama 03-02-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delightedmama (Post 3729599)
As far as what works, I found that soapnuts are commonly used in Chinese traditional medicine so I bought a half-kilo for less than even the cheapest detergents, and began washing in soapnut liquid. I have to use cold water most of the time but once a month I fill up buckets with hot water (boiled or from a different source) to do a hot-water wash, which seems to work to "strip" any build-up.

Oh, that's great to hear! Thank you so much for the update. :rockon

Quote:

The BumGenius guys said that vinegar can mess up the elastic. I'm not sure how that'd be worse than a drier, which we don't use but they say is okay to do. But we haven't needed to try the vinegar anyway so it's alright!
I hadn't heard that before. :think I'm so glad what you've been doing is working for you!! :tu

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmommy (Post 3729910)
a dryer is fine. I dryer dry all my diaper covers ect on hight heat and I have some that have been in my stash/possion since 2003 :giggle. You just dont want to pull at covers diapers elastic when hot allow them to cool. I've also made vinager a fairly regular part of our CD rountinue with out any issues.Deanna

That's good to know! Since 2003, wow! Thanks, Deanna!

delightedmama 03-03-2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmommy (Post 3729910)
You just dont want to pull at covers diapers elastic when hot allow them to cool. I've also made vinager a fairly regular part of our CD rountinue with out any issues.

Thanks for the info -- that's so good to know! Are these AIOs? I'd still like to do vinegar since I'm washing her other clothes with the diapers and it makes clothing softer, sometimes an issue since we line-dry.

milkmommy 03-03-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delightedmama (Post 3732242)
Thanks for the info -- that's so good to know! Are these AIOs? I'd still like to do vinegar since I'm washing her other clothes with the diapers and it makes clothing softer, sometimes an issue since we line-dry.

My current stash consists of 2/3 prefolds and various wraps and 1/3 pockets.. In the past I've had fitted AIOs pockets flats prefolds pretty much BTDT all.

Deanna

2TMama 07-09-2013 07:46 PM

Reviving an old thread....curious on more responses from people making laundry soap (ivory/washing soda/borax) & washing cloth dipes with it :yes

2TMama 03-03-2014 08:40 AM

bump!!!

Elspeth 03-03-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2TMama (Post 5369977)
Reviving an old thread....curious on more responses from people making laundry soap (ivory/washing soda/borax) & washing cloth dipes with it :yes

When it was cost-effective for me to do it, I washed all my laundry including my cloth diapers with homemade laundry soap. It was 1c borax, 1c washing soda, and 1/2c oxyclean. It worked really, really well for a while, and then I switched because the cost of the ingredients became more than the cost of ECOS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by natuke (Post 2620845)
I have been using ecos for both loundry and diapers. Now it looks like it's the wrong choice :/

what's wrong with it?

I mean even free and clear is marked with a red star :/

ECOS is marked 4 stars if it's the free & clear kind. I buy that one at Walmart for roughly $8. I have used the ECOS with coconut softener/lavender scent and honestly I haven't seen a huge difference except needing to strip the dipes more often, but I don't know if needing to strip them more often is due to the detergent or the fact that DD has toddler pee now as opposed to baby pee.

DD also had a terrible reaction to Charlie's Soap. It was like the diapers were burning her skin. :( I know it doesn't happen with every baby, just putting it out there.

mrskellyray 10-19-2014 03:45 PM

I found arm and hammer works really well!