Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Bosch Universal Mixer or ??? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523493)

Soliloquy 08-06-2017 03:54 PM

Bosch Universal Mixer or ???

My parents gave us a KitchenAid Stand Mixer for our marriage, almost 21 years ago. I loved it. I grew up with one. It was the good one, not the Artisan model. I broke it. :( It didn't wear out, I broke it trying to force the bowl up when it was full of frozen cookie dough. :doh We took it apart and it is, indeed, broken. :sigh

When we got married I rarely made bread and mostly used it for cookies, muffins, etc. Now I make sourdough bread pretty often and make cookies maybe once a month. I don't do muffins or anything hardly ever. So, the Bosch seems like the perfect choice, right?

There's also the Breville mixer which gets great reviews and is comparable to my old KitchenAid. And, I can get a professional model KitchenAid, 8 qt, for around $500 (retails for about $800.) The professional line is still made by Hobart.

Given that I make a lot of bread and would love to be able to mix more than 2 loaves, I think I'm leaning toward the Bosch. But this is an expensive purchase and I hope it's my last mixer.

Reviews? If you have a Bosch what attachments do you actually use?

Aerynne 08-06-2017 04:33 PM

Re: Bosch Universal Mixer or ???

I have the Bosch compact. We got it in 2005 and it's still going strong! I use the food processor. Our blender attachment broke and I don't recommend that one. Also if you use it to make something hot (like mashed potatoes) it will freeze up and you have to wait for it to cool down to work again. But the universal has a different design so it might not do this.

mommychem 08-06-2017 04:45 PM

I'm just here to mourn the loss of your Kitchenaid. :hug2

Llee 08-06-2017 06:26 PM

My mom's Bosch mixer was 15 years old when she gave it to a friend and bought a new one. I've had my Bosch since 2009 and it's doing well. I got the cookie paddles for it and the blender. If I were to get it today (and it looks like Pleasant Hill Grain has a great sale right now!), I'd get the baker's package.

Soliloquy 08-06-2017 07:23 PM

Thank you for the reviews.

I always mash potatoes by hand. I did read that the Bosch isn't good for hot things like meringue and marshmallows. I make those things maybe once every other year (if ever) and I can use my handheld electric mixer. I don't make dessert very often and, when I do, I refuse to do anything complicated. Pie, brownies, birthday cake, and cookies are the extent of what I'm willing to do for a dessert. I have a food processor that I love.

Lady Grey 08-06-2017 07:33 PM

I've had a Bosch Universal for 2 years. I make 5 loaves of bread at a time. (it can make 6, depending on your recipe and bread pan size) It can also make a HUGE batch of cookie dough, which I do several times a year.

I have the cookie dough paddles and a food processor attachment, because that was the package Costco was selling at the time. I've never taken the processor out of the box, but the cookie dough paddles are nice. If you are making a full bowl of cookie dough they recommend you switch to the dough hook once you add flour - I just start with it and it's fine.

tempus vernum 08-07-2017 09:50 AM

:hugheart im also here sad to see your kitchen aid broke :hugheart

RiverRock 08-07-2017 09:58 AM

I'm curious to see what you get. My Kitchen Aid is also 21 years old. Whatever I choose, it will have a bigger bowl than what I currently have. The option of two bowl sizes appeals to me, too.

Soliloquy 08-07-2017 10:52 AM

Here is the professional, 8 qt KitchenAid mixer. If you add to cart you can see the price.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/kit...KSM8990WH.html

RiverRock 08-07-2017 11:54 AM

I'm not so sure about the orange cord. ;)

Mine is the basic white Classic Series mixer. It's still working, but is starting to look a little ratty. Not enough of a reason to replace it, though. And...I love the white cord!

Soliloquy 08-07-2017 03:54 PM

An orange cord! :doh. Yes, that eliminates it for me. :lol. I wasn't leaning that way anyway.

What you have is the same model I had. It did a lot of hard work for me, over the years. My mom had the exact same one and she gave it away after my dad died. :doh She didn't want it on the counter even though she has tons of counter space. :(

Now that I'm thinking of it, maybe she put it in her basement ... I'll have to ask her.

Lady Grey 08-07-2017 04:57 PM

Yeah, I would have to find some white duct tape or something for that cord. :snooty

ViolaMum 08-08-2017 10:06 AM

RIP, Kitchen Aid. :(

Subbing to see what you end up with!

easygoinmomma 08-09-2017 09:48 AM

I have a Bosch and love it. Depending on how big I make the loaves I can make 3 or 4.

RealLifeMama 08-09-2017 12:44 PM

Also mourning your loss! So sorry!

How does a Bosch do with cake and icing?

My Kitchen Aid was a gift from DH's grandmother when DH and I were going to be married. She was so excited to give it to me, and I was so excited to receive one!

I love to know that the one with the orange cord is still made by Hobart.
Mine is likely on it's way out. It works OK motor wise most of the time (sometimes if I double dough, it will get hot.) However, the beater is always needing adjustment before every use or it scrapes the bowl. I don't know how much longer it will last.
I have had the "Bosch or KA" debate, too. I think I have even posted about it here before.

MelsKitchenCafe.com had a blog post comparing, but I haven't read it.