Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Bible versions? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=524131)

kiloyd 11-07-2017 06:28 AM

Bible versions?

I have the NIV Life Application Bible and like it. I want to buy a bible for my oldest two. Looking at the Life App. NLT bible.

What version do you have or like?

FlyingBlueKiwi 11-07-2017 07:05 AM

Re: Bible versions?

Be aware that not all versions that call themselves translations are translations. For example, the NLT is a loose paraphrase. Many women here, including me, would argue that their translation of the Proverbs "rod verses" for example, are a very bad translation. :shrug3

charla 11-07-2017 08:41 AM

I grew up with the NIV so I like it because it is familiar to me. I also have an NLT and I like it and that is what my kids use.

Hermana Linda 11-07-2017 09:25 AM

I like the Amplified version. Other than that, the King James (rejecting the heretical doctrine that it is inspired.)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

light of mine 11-07-2017 09:34 AM

The ESV is my favorite version. I think it is solid and the language is easily understandable.

knitlove 11-07-2017 10:25 AM

I find charts like this helpful when I am looking for new transitions.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...69b147920e.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lena O. 11-07-2017 12:33 PM

NKJV and NLT

Soliloquy 11-07-2017 01:59 PM

CEB is my favorite, hands down.

I like the newest version of the amplified Bible for extra context.

The Tickle Momster 11-07-2017 02:07 PM

Our church recommends NRSV. It can be hard to find in study bible format.

I like NIV and the Message for personal reading.

A bible school friend recommended NASB to me years ago. I like it too.

Honestly, I have not found significant differences in the passages overall meaning. I have found the flow to be an issue for some. For example, I do not like the NIrV. And the graphic above explains why. It's written at a 3rd grade level. Super short sentences and very basic language.

For your children, if you can find the translation you like in an Inductive Study Bible from Kay Arthur, the study helps and extra room per page are really great!

kiloyd 11-07-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi (Post 6114831)
Be aware that not all versions that call themselves translations are translations. For example, the NLT is a loose paraphrase. Many women here, including me, would argue that their translation of the Proverbs "rod verses" for example, are a very bad translation. :shrug3

Good to know!

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by light of mine (Post 6114848)
The ESV is my favorite version. I think it is solid and the language is easily understandable.

Will look at that one. My daughter is 13 and want this to be her possible forever Bible. Son too. None of that fluffy "teen bible" or "girl bible", etc.

---------- Post added at 03:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6114887)
CEB is my favorite, hands down.

I like the newest version of the amplified Bible for extra context.

What is the CE? ETA: found it in the chart!

Our church just got the CSB, which apparently was HCSB. I don't care for it.

---------- Post added at 03:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

My head is swimming! So many versions!

charla 11-07-2017 08:31 PM

Do you have access to a christian bookstore? I wonder if you could go in and look through the different translations looking at some of your favorite passages to get a feel for what might be best. Or actually I guess you could read parallel versions on Bible Gateway or blueletterbible.org to get a feel for what you think your kids might like. :think

bananacake 11-08-2017 08:47 AM

For a young person, I would buy NLT. It is actually a translation, not a paraphrase, from what I understand. CEB, Message, Living Bible would all be considered paraphrases.

Soliloquy 11-08-2017 09:48 AM

Here is one review of the CEB with pros and cons.

http://www.authenticlight.org/2010/0...bible.html?m=1

Jeanette598 11-09-2017 08:47 PM

Yes, NLT is a translation, although much more toward the "thought for thought" side than the more literal "word for word" translations like NASB and others. NLT was put together by a big team of scholars and essentially replaced The Living Bible, which was a one-person paraphrase. It tries to retain some of the freshness of The Living Bible but more accurately reflect the original languages. (I used to work for the publisher. :))

Personally, I like NLT for devotional reading and ESV for Bible study. But both of my kids have NIV, which I think is a good middle ground if you're only going to use one version.

If you go to Biblegateway.com, you can look up a passage in multiple versions. I'd suggest looking up something familiar, like Psalm 23. That will give you a good feel for readability, differences in wording, etc. :yes

ECingMama 11-09-2017 09:35 PM

There is a really nice chart that I can't find. A friend posted it on FB last year. I am trying to find it. Sigh.

I have memorized so many verses from the NIV that the others don't sound right to me.