Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Dessert *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=544)
-   -   'Healthy' cake recipe?? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=524547)

Vicki_T 01-06-2018 02:41 AM

'Healthy' cake recipe??

Dh is on a bit of a health kick at the moment and is trying to avoid food with added sugar (among other things). His birthday is coming up and I'd like to make some kind of cake or dessert which he would enjoy while still sticking to his diet. He's not a very adventurous eater and doesn't really enjoy things like dried fruit. In fact he's got a real sweet tooth and doesn't even like dark chocolate, so maybe this is an impossible task! But, if you have a recipe that may fit the bill, I'd be very grateful for it!

MaySunflowers 01-06-2018 03:55 AM

Re: 'Healthy' cake recipe??

You can use alternatives to sugar in recipes, but might have to look up the right measurements as they are not always the same as sugar. Xylitol is one option (its not artificial, its tree based).

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

2sunshines 01-06-2018 05:48 AM

I bake these muffins regularly and they're a fave of my kids (if fact i have a batch in my oven right now!). Sweetened with banana. No added sugar except depending on what kind of or if you add the chocolate chips. We always do cause my kids love them (we do dark chocolate) but I think this recipe would be just as good without and with nuts or something instead.

Even if you added traditional chocolate, since it's the only sugar in the whole recipe it'd be pretty minimal.

https://www.bakerita.com/chocolate-p...anana-muffins/

Quiteria 01-06-2018 07:02 AM

I don't have a recipe now, but I've made whole wheat carrot cake sweetened with apple juice concentrate.

I think the banana muffin/cake sounds better.

I've made chocolate banana bread before, which was cocoa powder as part of the dry ingredients. I added chocolate chips to make it decadent, but you could do with just the powder if that helps.

Maedchen 01-06-2018 07:46 AM

If you want to just 'look' cake like, type in
fruit arranged to look like a cake on google and look through how they made decorations out of fresh fruits.

For whipped icing, you could whip coconut into a whipped topping. (Watermelon is expensive this time of year, you could do a sponge cake and decorate with fruit.) Use almond/coconut flour.

Vicki_T 01-06-2018 07:48 AM

Thanks, these are great ideas :tu Do the muffins taste like banana? I should have mentioned that dh doesn't particularly like banana bread/cake :doh

MaySunflowers 01-06-2018 07:50 AM

When I am rushed abd make banana muffins with bananas that are only juuuust turning yellow ot has far less of a banana taste.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quiteria 01-06-2018 08:19 AM

The really chocolately banana bread I made hid the taste somewhat, but that recipe had chocolate chips and sugar, so probably fewer bananas.

They're one of the sweetest fruits. Carrots and apples are probably next in line if he likes those better, and maybe white grape juice though I haven't seen it used much. Applesauce cake rarely tastes like apples, so maybe a spice cake with that if he doesn't like carrot cake? There are probably chocolate versions. I've made pumpkin chocolate cake where it was hard to identify the pumpkin, but that was with boxed cake mix, so full sugar. :bag

I know there's chocolate avocado frosting, but I don't know how it's sweetened.

2sunshines 01-06-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicki_T (Post 6123860)
Thanks, these are great ideas :tu Do the muffins taste like banana? I should have mentioned that dh doesn't particularly like banana bread/cake :doh

The banana works as the sweetener rather than as a flavourer. I do have one child who claims to not like banana bread who loves these. I'd say the flavour is more peanut butter and chocolate, though I'm sure you can taste the banana. It's just not at all the dominant flavour.

Vicki_T 01-06-2018 09:25 AM

Great, those banana recipes might work then, especially if they end up tasting chocolatey. If not, the apple ones will be next in line. I might have to do a few trial runs - not so great for my waistline though :lol

Aerynne 01-06-2018 09:57 AM

What about using Date sugar? It’s just powdered dates I believe.

Quiteria 01-06-2018 10:37 AM

Try the samples as muffins/cupcakes if you have room in your freezer. Then you can thaw individual servings as a treat for the kids instead of having to eat up cake after cake all at once.

Vicki_T 01-06-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiteria (Post 6123877)
Try the samples as muffins/cupcakes if you have room in your freezer. Then you can thaw individual servings as a treat for the kids instead of having to eat up cake after cake all at once.

Good plan :tu

bliss 01-06-2018 07:31 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Fat-F.../dp/0895296306
This cookbook is *great*. It subs fruit and other goodies for sugars and fats, and I've made almost everything in it and have yet to find a dud.

Soliloquy 01-06-2018 07:52 PM

Is honey an option?

I've baked lots of desserts using date sugar, honey, maple syrup, or fruit puree as the sweetener. They're delicious. Lots of blogs are dedicated to "no refined sugar."

Otherwise, a great dessert is fresh berries with cream.