Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   Homemade pizza tips & combos (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=522890)

BestLaidPlans 05-18-2017 06:12 PM

Homemade pizza tips & combos

Tonight I was in a hurry to get the pizza made, so instead of chopping the veggies, I just threw some pico de gallo on with my chicken. It was yummy and so quick!!

Anyone else got a tip or favorite combination to share?

Aerynne 05-18-2017 06:15 PM

Re: Homemade pizza tips & combos

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestLaidPlans (Post 6085078)
Tonight I was in a hurry to get the pizza made, so instead of chopping the veggies, I just threw some pico de gallo on with my chicken. It was yummy and so quick!!

Anyone else got a tip or favorite combination to share?

jalapeno, pineapple, bacon with bbq sauce is fantastic according to dh (I don't eat bacon).

MegMarch 05-18-2017 06:36 PM

I like to put a little cheese on, then garlic and then more cheese. Helps it not burn. I also find that Aleppo pepper is really nice mixed in the sauce.

DH prefers calzones and I mostly just fill then with leftovers.

DD and her friend get to DIY. I put out an array of veggies, herbs and so forth for them to snack on and put on their pizza. They end up getting fairly adventurous.

Best tip - parchment paper!

MaybeGracie 05-18-2017 07:09 PM

We like chicken with mushrooms, basil, red onions, cheese, and honey garlic BBQ sauce.

charla 05-18-2017 07:14 PM

I like to pre-bake the crust so that it doesn't get soggy from the sauce. We make homemade pizza sauce: tomato sauce seasoned with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, oregano, basil, parsley, and parmesan cheese. It's sooo yummy. Our favorite is mozzarella, pepperoni, green peppers, mushrooms, black olives, green olives, and feta.

greengirl19 05-19-2017 06:57 AM

Back in the days of amazing homemade gluten filled pizza crust I'd make a double batch of dough and freeze it (before the rising period), then have some already ready to go for another day!

A combo I haven't seen listed yet is a white sauce (béchamel, or roux based) with lots of garlic, chicken and spinach (sometimes thinly sliced red onions too).

mamacat 05-19-2017 07:21 AM

I keep a bag of chopped kale or 2 in freezer at all time to add to things like sauces and omelets and pizza toppings. Pineapple,black olives are always yummy.also artichokes in can drained well before hand.

MaySunflowers 05-19-2017 07:46 AM

Sometimes I put dots of pesto and blobs of goat's cheese.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RiverRock 05-19-2017 11:10 AM

Oooh....these all sound delicious. An unlikely combo that I once had at a restaurant and then repeated at home is lightly steamed broccoli and chunked chicken breast that had been cooked with a bit of garlic on a thin crust.

Soliloquy 05-19-2017 12:55 PM

Sun dried tomatoes and onions braised in beer. :yum

Thinly sliced granny smith apple, onion, and gorgonzola.

charla 05-19-2017 01:26 PM

I used to make a spinach alfredo pizza with alfredo sauce, fresh spinach, fresh tomatoes, pine nuts, feta, and mozzarella. So yummy!

My favorite restaurant combo (where I can find a good gf crust) is all veggie leaning toward Mediterranean flavors: marinara, mozzarella, feta, spinach, sliced tomatoes, kalamata olives, artichoke hearts, red and green bell peppers, green olives, and basil. :yum

ViolaMum 05-19-2017 01:53 PM

DH preheats the pizza stone at 500 for an hour before baking thin-crust pizza on it.

He pre-bakes thick crust pizza in a sheet pan - 10 min alone, 9 minutes with just tomato sauce, and then 8 minutes with cheese and other toppings.

I like caremelized onions, black olives, and gorgonzola cheese.

My oldest dollops on ricotta cheese. I like to add pesto and olives to that, or spinach and chicken, peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Caramelized onions and fig jam is even yummy.

We keep a jar of garlic confit in the fridge that gets used often as a sauce or to coat the dough before adding tomatoes and cheese.

I'm the only truly adventurous one. My kids usually just do tomatoes and cheese, sometimes pepperoni or sausage. DH is intent on recreating his grandmother's pizza (traditional southern Italian thick crust). He won't eat any of my sweet-salty combos, or any with too many veggies. Several years ago I had a job near this little local pizza place that was run by an Italian woman with a thick accent. She had a saying - "One-ah pizza, one-ah meat!" - meaning she'd put only one type of meat on a pizza. There was NO WAY she'd make a pepperoni sausage combo, for instance. I had a co-worker that would go in and always, always, always (!) ask for some meat combo just to hear her say "NO! One-ah pizza, one-ah meat!"

Sparrow 05-20-2017 03:44 PM

My favourite when I could eat dairy was asiago with minced rosemary with grilled chicken and roasted red peppers.

Lena O. 05-25-2017 07:08 PM

Sometimes we like to use bbq sauce instead of tomato sauce. :yum

I love pineapple on pizza, but the kids think it's gross, so we don't have it very often.

knitlove 05-26-2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparrow (Post 6085312)
My favourite when I could eat dairy was asiago with minced rosemary with grilled chicken and roasted red peppers.

Adiago can be found made from sheep's milk, I can do limited amount of it occasionally with out reacting.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk