Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gentle Discipline *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=420)
-   -   Spitting Toddler (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=524647)

ValiantJoy07 01-18-2018 06:27 PM

Spitting Toddler

The two year old is spitting. He will just stop and spit food, water, drool on the floor and cackle. I make him help clean up the mess (which at 2 is appealing to him, he likes being big and helping :doh :giggle). He responds really well to playful parenting and playful redirection but I am totally drawing a blank.
Ideas?

Love_Is_Patient 01-18-2018 06:36 PM

Re: Spitting Toddler

"oh no, we spit in the sink!" redirected to the proper spot. And I remove food/drink for the moment.

MariJo7 01-20-2018 11:27 AM

Sounds like he sees spitting as a funny game. Has he seen "big boys" spitting?

everybody's mother 01-21-2018 04:29 AM

I second the idea of making a special place they are allowed to spit, for us it was a general "outdoors game" reminder. And we would often take them outside for spitting contests, or to experiment with different substances, lol. Of course, we live in the boonies....so if you are in a more populated area, maybe a houseplant they can spit in?

ValiantJoy07 01-21-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariJo7 (Post 6126453)
Sounds like he sees spitting as a funny game. Has he seen "big boys" spitting?

nope. It started after a stomach bug so I am wondering if he's processing that in his own way? He finds it quite entertaining.:doh

MariJo7 01-22-2018 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 (Post 6126565)
nope. It started after a stomach bug so I am wondering if he's processing that in his own way? He finds it quite entertaining.:doh

Perhaps he is doing just that. Perhaps a special "spitting plant" or a "spitting pot" would be something indeed. Or just the toilet.

Anyway, he is not going to do this forever.

Pragmatist 01-22-2018 01:21 PM

Redirect, teach your spitting rules, and pray for patience. This too shall pass. :hug2

ValiantJoy07 01-22-2018 04:45 PM

I know my middle 2 went through this stage, but it was a couple days and usually only fluid, he is a lot slower at outgrowing his experimental stages and he tries them in ways they couldn't because he has so much more access to areas of the houshold they didn't at this age. I am exhausted. I want to lock everything down but it would drastically reduce the older kids access too and I am not comfortable doing that.:doh

Soliloquy 01-24-2018 08:51 PM

At age 2 I don't know if there's much you can do other than wait and hope. They are so completely in the moment. And, if it's fun, it's fun. There's only one perspective on everything. Certainly try to redirect but time may be the best remedy.

Lena O. 01-24-2018 10:27 PM

Both of my boys went through this. I just redirected and waited for them to outgrow the phase.

MariJo7 01-25-2018 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pragmatist (Post 6126742)
Redirect, teach your spitting rules, and pray for patience. This too shall pass. :hug2

I liked "Teach your spitting rules"! :haha:roll

bananacake 01-25-2018 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariJo7 (Post 6127198)
I liked "Teach your spitting rules"! :haha:roll

:haha Me too! My "spitting rules" are yelling, trying not to gag, being totally disgusted and wondering how to make them stop :lol

tempus vernum 01-26-2018 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 (Post 6126565)

Are you positive it’s for fun?? Is it potentially due to a physical issue.

My dd2 went through this but a lot older (started at 8 I think?) and then started clearing her throat. FOR months and she couldn’t articulate why but just kept saying she needed to spit. The first doctor told us it was behavioral but months of this and we thought it was physical. Our naturally oriented physician treated her first for Candida/reflux and that helped a little bit BYt turned out it was a combination of reflux and post nasal drip from allergies. It could also have all been from her goiter. All 3 resolves fixes it.

When She starts doing it again, either her reflux is coming back or her allergies are flaring.