Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Slow Cooker Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=548)
-   -   make your own yogurt (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=353031)

Chaos Coordinator 04-01-2010 03:03 PM

make your own yogurt

hmmm doesn't look like this particular board gets much use...

but i just made my own yogurt using a recipe i posted on my recipe blog here - www.creativelywic.blogspot.com - its a really cool trick if you ask me :)

also if anyone has any good WIC recipes i'd love to try them and post them if you'd send them to me!

AngelaVA 04-01-2010 03:41 PM

Re: make your own yogurt

Do you think this would work with coconut milk yogurt?

Chaos Coordinator 04-01-2010 06:56 PM

i....have no idea. hah. i dont get the science behind it. i didn't think it would work but lo and behold when i checked back 8 hours later, i had yogurt!

WanderingMom 04-01-2010 08:02 PM

Oh yes, I make a batch of crockpot yogurt about once a week. I got the recipe from Passionate Homemaking.

sweetpeasmommy 04-01-2010 08:47 PM

I really, really want to try with coconut.

I Love Jesus 04-04-2010 06:45 PM

Holy smoke, that sounds like a science fair project! :)

Rea T 04-04-2010 06:49 PM

What a great idea! I make mine in my oven but I like this idea as well and may have to try it sometime, especially since I could make a larger batch at once.

I like your blog...what a fantastic idea.

Llee 04-04-2010 07:01 PM

I got his off of the crockpot365 and it's been great. http:// crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

If you read through the comments, I think they talk about some of the quirks. I know that my kitchen can't get cold during the process or the yogurt is too runny.

ArmsOfLove 04-05-2010 11:33 PM

I actually have a yogurt maker and I love it--I keep reminding myself that I need to make yogurt :doh It's very very simple. I use yogurt starter and soy milk and the actual "making" takes about 5 minutes most and then they cook for 8 hours without me :grin

AngelaVA 04-06-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove (Post 3004356)
I actually have a yogurt maker and I love it--I keep reminding myself that I need to make yogurt :doh It's very very simple. I use yogurt starter and soy milk and the actual "making" takes about 5 minutes most and then they cook for 8 hours without me :grin

Wow how cool, I had no idea such a thing existed. Have you ever tried the coconut milk kind? My kids love those (don't really care for the soy ones) but they cost like $2 a container so they only get them once in a blue moon.

Peacemama 04-06-2010 12:43 PM

I will try your recipe, I have yogurt machines I found at yard sales but it doesnt make nearly enough for my brood :) Nice idea for a blog!

tinyheaths 04-12-2010 01:18 PM

I make it every other week using the crocpot365 way love it:heart

Forsynthianicki 04-12-2010 01:47 PM

My Mom's been making her own yogurt for a couple of years. I finally tried it last week and we have been enjoying it. Here recipe and method is a little more complicated. I think I will try yours, Thanks.

mummy2boys 04-16-2010 10:14 PM

I have a yoghurt make that I re-discovered yesterday and we just made a batch of Boysenberry youghurt...Yummy!! Will have to do it more often

Thanks for the link to your blog Jess....the recipe looks great :smile

camelfam 04-29-2010 06:32 PM

I also make yogurt in the crockpot from the crockpot365 blog. I used some of the comments to tweak it, like adding only two tablespoons of yogurt. It is so super simple. I strain it through a cheese bag and it is thick like greek yogurt and yummy!

DancingWithElves 04-29-2010 06:43 PM

i *just * was posting in a thread on crockpot coconut yogurt :think

klpmommy 09-05-2010 12:57 PM

I want to try this.

Niphredil 09-05-2010 03:34 PM

Okay, I'm so jealous you all are getting this to work. Mine never, ever turns out. :(

Great blog idea, though. I wish there were more entries.

Chaos Coordinator 09-05-2010 08:23 PM

i know, i stopped getting wic and ran out of inspiration. if you have some recipe ideas feel free to send them to me and i will post them.

and i can get the yogurt to work, but when i freeze it, it thaws totally gross looking, and i cant stomach using it. so i haven't repeated the recipe.

DancingWithElves 09-06-2010 05:11 PM

well, i still had to use the thermometer, b/c the temps were way off just based on waiting times :shrug3 when my coconut milk one was done, but tasted great, but it was very runny. i still used it up, though.

i'm about to try the spunky coconut cashew milk recipe, and i'll "brew" it in the crockpot, but in a water bath with yogurt inside of a jar.

i'll let you know how it worked.

iheartsam 09-06-2010 05:18 PM

:popcorn

BriansLovie 09-07-2010 11:59 AM

I make mine in the crockpot. I use Stonyfield Farms Organic WHOLE plain yogurt, with Homestead Creamery WHOLE milk (not creamline). If I use those two together, I get nice thick yogurt. I have tried using plain fat free yogurt or ultra pasteurized whole milk and it wont turn out. It will be only slightly thicker than milk.

I put half gallon of HC milk in crock pot on low for 2 1/2 hours, with lid on. After 2 1/2 hours, turn off and leave covered for 3 hours. After 3 hours, whisk in one cup of whole plain yogurt. Put lid on, cover with a thick towel and leave overnight at least 8 hours. I usually leave mine about 10 hours. I love it :)

DancingWithElves 09-15-2010 11:48 AM

SUCCESS!

i made raw cashew milk yogurt and it was great.

1. soak 1 cup cashews 12-24 hrs
2. blend on "soup" setting on blendtec with some salt and sweetener with max amount of water for the jar (we have the xl jar, so like, 42 oz of water)
3. pour into mason jars with heaping tsp of silk plain yogurt in each (you can sub whatever culture, i'm sure) dissolve 1 packet of gelatin in a tiny bit of hot water (scant 1/4 cup) and pour into jars, shake like a polaroid picture ;)
4. set those into a crock pot full of warm water and set it on "warm"
5. fogedaboudit! for about 8-16 hrs
6. remove, shake again, refrigerate
7. it gets better and better each day it sits in the fridge :yum