Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Co sleeping in the Bible (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=136228)

ladybug 04-07-2008 06:38 PM

Re: Co sleeping in the Bible

those verses are great!!
We cosleep here too!!! Love this thread!!!!

melissa_aka_mom 08-17-2008 08:51 PM

those are great! thanks for sharing, I never caught that before!

Serafine 08-17-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons
I thought this was cool. I don't know if it's been posted before.

Luke 11:5-7

5Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, 6because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.'

7"Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.'

Dh found that when he was researching co-sleeping and AP before we had kids...since it went against everything we had ever been taught. GOd used it to seal the decision in His mind. :heart :heart

Atarah 08-18-2008 12:52 AM

Prayer from my Jewish prayer book: (of ancient origin)
A prayer for when the new mother leaves the birthing bed: "May it be You will, Adonai, my God and the God of my forefathers, that You prepare sustenance for Your servant, this infant, with an abundance of milk - his requirement, whatever he may lack. Place in my heart the [correct] time to nurse him in order to give him what he needs. Lighten my sleep so that when he cries, You may open my ears so that I hear him immediately. Rescue me - that my hand not fall onto him while sleeping, and he die, Heaven forbid."

Breastfeeding and sleeping sharing is assumed. It is a request that God make the mother a responsive mother.

blessed2bmommy 09-25-2008 01:53 PM

ooooooooooo I love that! Super neat! Thanks for sharing!

shehaights 11-16-2008 10:38 PM

I've ran across those verses a time or two, we also co-sleep and breastfeed, I don't debate the issue with others, (it's not worth it to me) I simply smile and say, well, when we're ready. They can think what they like, we're doing what is right for our family. And btw I loved that prayer, so beautiful!

Englishgirl 11-17-2008 02:33 AM

I think I read somewhere that Ezzo uses the verse about Solomon as an argument against co-sleeping. That's so not the point of the story! More babies die in cots right? He also I think uses the fact that Jesus slept in a manger! Honestly I don't think the bible tells us where our babies should sleep but I think it assumes co-sleeping because that was the cultural norm. It certainly doesn't say that co-sleeping is wrong.

Heather Micaela 11-17-2008 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Englishgirl
I think I read somewhere that Ezzo uses the verse about Solomon as an argument against co-sleeping. That's so not the point of the story! More babies die in cots right? He also I think uses the fact that Jesus slept in a manger! Honestly I don't think the bible tells us where our babies should sleep but I think it assumes co-sleeping because that was the cultural norm. It certainly doesn't say that co-sleeping is wrong.

ezzo is crazy
Jesus was set in a manger that night. Even as a co sleeping mom, my newborn does-nothing-but-sleep brabd new babies were better off sleeping seperate those first hours while I recovered. And then when I would feed I would fall asleep holding them. But the first half day they slept fine in the bassinet.

shehaights 12-02-2008 08:44 PM

Speaking of the story of Solomon, I DVR TBN's animated series, one was the story of Solomon, the same thing! It pretty much enraged me, I can't quote it, but the mother of the living child points to Pricilla and says, basically, I told her over and over she was sleeping too close to her child. It had also showed Pricilla with her child very close, and the other Mother had her child almost lying separately, like in a manager type thing. I was pretty upset to see what I would've assumed to be a safe cartoon challenging our beliefs :(

Epiphany 12-02-2008 10:06 PM

That's awesome, I always love hearing that something you're doing anyway turns out to be biblical. LOL!! I love co-sleeping with my boy and husband. Except for my boy hogs the bed! Ha ha.
Quote:

One of my favorite shirts is "Jesus was breastfed"
I want one!!!!

ArmsOfLove 12-02-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

the manger in the Sukkah was not like the feedbox you see in nativities, though. It was a big hay bed for the animals and Mary would have been sleeping with him :heart

pastelsummer 12-02-2008 10:31 PM

oh yes I love the references in the bible to co-sleeping and breastfeeding! My dd sleeps by herself most of the night she always has but the first time she cries she sleep the rest of the night with us! Or if she is sick she just sleeps with us all night! ANd I love it!!

IslandHome 12-03-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
the manger in the Sukkah was not like the feedbox you see in nativities, though. It was a big hay bed for the animals and Mary would have been sleeping with him :heart

Thanks for explaining that! I had always wondered about the 'manger' thing.

We read the passage in Luke in church a few weeks back and DH and me felt like standing up and saying 'hey, see that, it even says it in the bible' because we're kind of sick of the looks we get when we say DS sleeps with us.

momyshaver 01-23-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmsOfLove
Quote:

Wow, I had never read that before. That is so cool; thanks for sharing.

littlelady 03-06-2009 09:36 PM

Love this....the Jewish prayer posted earlier is beautiful and I like the info about the manger...all great info to have. We bed share with both of our children. One of my favorite times of the day is watching them peacefully fall asleep.