Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Simplify your life challenge. (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=169450)

mommyTay 08-31-2007 12:04 PM

Re: Simplify your life challenge.

Quote:

I am going to pack up things I don't need and seal them into boxes and label with a general description of what they are. 0-12 months toys, 2T toddler clothes-summer, etc. Books, kitchen etc. It will be boxes that you can't see through and they will stay sealed. I am dating them too and when 6 months passes if I can't remember what's in there and I haven't missed it I am taking it straight to charity. Or, being labelled, will give appropriate things to people who need them, such as if anyone has kids. If I don't KNOW what's in the box, I CAN'T miss it.
Sounds like a great plan, :cheer I may do the same with some stuff around here, after I get rid of the obvious stuff.

In the past few weeks, I have gotten rid of 3 toddler beds, 2 cribs and 2 crib mattresses. Took 6 bags of clothes and shoes to goodwill and threw away 2 bags that weren't good enough to give away.
My dining room is looking so much better, just by getting rid of the over-abundance of shoes that kept creeping across the walkways! :woohoo

Next goal is to sort winter coats, hats and gloves.

Garland 01-01-2008 08:48 AM

I'm in too! Great idea! I need to go through the kids' toys now that the new Christmas ones are here. Hopefully I can get rid of some toys to donate to charity to make more room for the new ones.

And I'm definitely going to go through our coat closet (my first organization project of the year - which I'm going to post about on my new Get-Me-Organized website). I'll probably find coats and shoes that we've outgrown and no longer need cluttering up the house.

crunchyusmcluv 04-11-2008 07:09 PM

I am in. I have lots i could still get rid of.

sprout 05-12-2008 07:21 PM

We just took 7 bags to the Salvation Army and it felt great!

tinybutterfly 06-12-2008 01:04 PM

I am still decluttering. Making progress. Still have lots to do, but it is making a difference finally upstairs!

Also, since we are remodelling the bathroom, we have this big dumpster thing out front and dh put several large items I have wanted OUT of our basement for a long time in it! Also some things that have been in our yard are now in the dumpster!

There is a BIG pile of stuff again to take to Goodwill.

It has taken me a long time to get this far. I still have a long ways to go, BUT I am finally seeing progress, my upstairs is getting easier to take care of and I am not going to give up.

I still need to serioulsy work on stopping the flow of new things INTO our house.

We have decluttered before and ended up with clutter again.

This time I hope to keep it under control...well, once we GET it under control.

:)

bananacake 06-21-2008 04:04 AM

Is anyone still doing this?

I recycled 3 bags of old magazines last week & gave away a juicer on Freecycle :yes

GrowingInGrace 07-17-2008 12:38 PM

Yes, I am.

I donated a too large dining room table and chairs, a dishwasher, 6 bags of stuff with more on the way.

I'm giving my sister some toys for her 7 month old maybe tonight. I hope.

Quote:

Originally Posted by butterfly

I still need to serioulsy work on stopping the flow of new things INTO our house.

We have decluttered before and ended up with clutter again.

This time I hope to keep it under control...well, once we GET it under control.

:)

This is me too. I get things to a point I'm okay with, then all of a sudden, either I get the bright idea to rearrange furniture, or I get shop happy (usually garage sales or discount stores, so I "justify" it not be a terribly expensive habit, but it's a bad habit nonetheless)

hollymarie 06-30-2010 10:08 AM

I'm so in! I have been reading a book that has been inspiring me to minimize, give away, sell my possessions...so I will accept this as a challenge. I'm planning to find items that are in good condition to give away to the Salvation Army.

Grace78 04-19-2011 09:54 AM

It has been helping me to think of things in categories. My goal is to reduce my things by 50%, so I try to get rid of 50% (or more) in most categories...Yesterday it was parenting books. Today it's movies.

Anna3:16 07-20-2011 06:04 PM

Great idea- although i think i could double that..... :yes

joyousTXmama 10-23-2011 01:03 AM

I think I'll try this, too! I love the idea of a clutter-free life. One thing a day doesn't seem too intimidating. It will be like a little daily challenge :)

LittleMight 01-31-2012 02:00 PM

Anybody still doing this?

RiverRock 02-11-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleMight (Post 4437682)
Anybody still doing this?

I haven't checked out the original blog, but the part about getting rid of an item a day is appealing to me.

Are you planning on doing this, LittleMight? I'll join you and maybe we can inspire others to join in. :)

Maggirayne 03-03-2012 12:54 PM

There have been threads for getting rid of one item a day and one item for the year. :shrug3