Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=417)
-   -   Prefolds....i want to love them, but i don't (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=514090)

2TMama 06-03-2015 07:12 AM

Prefolds....i want to love them, but i don't

I reach for my pockets WAY more often......it just feels like the prefold wicks the urine & they are encased in it :-/. I do a microfiber insert with a newborn prefold as the 2nd layer to stuff the pockets...and it doesn't have that same icky "encased in urine" feel....

Is anyone with me? :shrug3

ValiantJoy07 06-03-2015 07:27 AM

Re: Prefolds....i want to love them, but i don't

I much much much preferred prefolds to pockets. But I bought my pockets in 2008 and I know they've come along way since then. I feel like I could n ever get my pockets clean, they always smelled and were a pain in the neck to strip.

My prefolds were a breeze to strip and an afternoon in the sunshine had them smelling fresh and brand new.

mommychem 06-03-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 (Post 5921693)
I much much much preferred prefolds to pockets. But I bought my pockets in 2008 and I know they've come along way since then. I feel like I could n ever get my pockets clean, they always smelled and were a pain in the neck to strip.

My prefolds were a breeze to strip and an afternoon in the sunshine had them smelling fresh and brand new.

Me too. :hug

2sunshines 06-03-2015 11:31 AM

I cloth diapered for many years between all four kids, and honestly, I went the full gammit of my preferences.

There was a time that prefolds were my absolute die hard faves. In fact, for a time, flats was it for me.

There was also a time that I fell in love with the simplicity of pockets. And another time for fitteds. :giggle

And my fave has not always been the same for different kids at different stages.

That's why I LOVE that there are so many cd'ing systems out there. :heart

Earthmummy07 06-03-2015 11:40 AM

I will always love prefolds for introducing me to cloth, and for their simplicity. But other than that? They are just not my favourites :no I have some but will reach for pretty much everything else first.

I always struggled with pockets leaking around the leg, but I think that's because I didn't find them until the toddler stage and I needed so much padding in them it pulled away from the legs.

twentysixcats 06-03-2015 12:30 PM

I tried a bunch of types of diapers, and pockets were by far my favorite. However, I have horrible water and not a great washer, so I struggled with smell in my pockets. I ended up switching to prefolds and felt that I gave them a really serious try... but ultimately I disliked them and quit cloth altogether.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

ECingMama 06-03-2015 05:12 PM

I loved prefolds with my first. I loved fitted with snaps with her too.

I loved preemie prefolds with my second (outgrew at 5 months when he hit 10 lbs). Switched to all in ones. Trim fit but too stinky. Used anyway. Loved fitteds.

Mother ease, Sandy's. Best ever. My top choice if had to choose one.

I like that we have so many choices.

ValiantJoy07 06-04-2015 05:40 AM

I did love my Thirsties fitted with dd1. Sadly they barely lasted to dd2 but they washed better than my pockets. The thing I don't like about prefolds are that dh more or less refuses to help with diapers when we Cd with prefolds, he finds it too complicated and cumbersome. :sigh
I haven't decided what I will do for this baby. I love the idea of diapers, having less chemicals on my kids skin... But it seems to perpetually and completely upset the delicate ecosystem that is my laundry schedule.:-/ It's not like i expect to keep up, but not drowning would be preferable.:giggle

houseforjoy 06-04-2015 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 5921763)
I cloth diapered for many years between all four kids, and honestly, I went the full gammit of my preferences.

There was a time that prefolds were my absolute die hard faves. In fact, for a time, flats was it for me.

There was also a time that I fell in love with the simplicity of pockets. And another time for fitteds. :giggle

And my fave has not always been the same for different kids at different stages.

That's why I LOVE that there are so many cd'ing systems out there. :heart

this exactly this for me. and each time i was in love with a new way of diapering i was always convinced "this is it!! i'll never do anything else!!" :shifty:giggle

ShangriLewis 06-04-2015 10:33 AM

My husband has a horrible gag reflex. He hardly ever changes diapers. I keep disposables for him.

I have to buy new diapers for this one and I am going with prefolds and duo covers. They are so much easier to care for.

2TMama 06-04-2015 08:10 PM

Heather!!! I am SO out of the loop! I did not know you were expecting...so congrats! :D

ShangriLewis 06-04-2015 09:34 PM

Yeah. I have been quiet about it.

2TMama 06-05-2015 08:49 AM

:heart hugs to you! How many weeks & will you/did you find out gender?

ShangriLewis 06-05-2015 08:54 AM

I should be due December 16. I haven't even seen a doctor yet [emoji14]

AsTheDeer 06-05-2015 12:08 PM

I love prefolds and flats in the first few weeks but after that its shaped nappies and wraps all the way. I have some pockets and all in one types but always find they need massive padding out or leak within the hour.