Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   Household notebooks (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=336577)

TrinMama 12-11-2009 09:29 AM

Household notebooks

I want to have one, now that our family is 6-people big and there are so many things to keep track of! I was reading this today http://notebook.organizedhome.com/di...ehold-notebook. Sounds great~

do any of you do this?

RiverRock 12-11-2009 09:46 AM

Re: Household notebooks

I did something similar for a couple of years. I based my planner on the Control Journal concept by Fly Lady. I loved it. The best suggestion that I used was to make daily schedules that fit into clear plastic page protectors. Using a dry erase pen you can cross the items off your list and then wipe it clean when the day is done. I think I'll go read your link more thoroughly to glean new ideas to help me tweak my system.

Mama Calidad 12-11-2009 10:02 AM

I have something similar that I affectionately refer to as "my brain". This is what mine "looks" like:

Before any tabs are my daily or weekly planning pages. Whichever I happen to be using ATM. I have to switch these up routinely when I start getting bored with them. :O

First tab is "Calendar". These aren't "here and now" calendars. These are for dates beyond my current planner pages. I have a page each with yearly calendars for 2010, 2011 and 2012. I have monthly calendars for each month of 2010 and 2011. I throw away the monthly page after I transfer the events to my planner page AND recurring events to the next year's monthly calendar page.

Then, I have a tab for "Faith". Bible reading schedules, articles I want to read, quotes that I want to look back at, etc.

Finance. Checking journal. Bank statements (I scan Jan-June and July-Dec statements when I've accumulated a set, store them on a memory card and shred the statements then, so I never have more than 5 months of statements in the binder at once.) I also have receipts in this section for warranted items that I may need in the future. I glance at them when I scan statements to see what can be discarded.

Home: Holiday planning pages. Cleaning pages will go here when/if I drop out of the HBChallenges.

H/S. H/S planning stuff and ideas get parked here periodically.

Meals. Meal planning forms. Grocery shopping list forms. Recipes that I want to try out before transferring to a card to put into my recipe binder.

Medical: Medical records. Lab results. Insurance information. Medication dosing charts (tylenol, motrin, etc.)

Reference: Address and phone numbers. Birthday list. Account/reward numbers.

Gentle Journey 12-11-2009 10:08 AM

I have a home management binder. I :heart it.

I have it filled with inspirational pictures. Each section is tabbed, with a pic that makes sense with the section.

I have my daily schedule, cleaning schedules, meal plans, shopping lists, a list of what is needed to make each meal, my usual recipies so I don't have to flips through different books all the time, contacts, inspirational articles.

I also have all the schdules and charts on my comp so I can edit and reprint if needed. Or for my shopping list, I have it down with everything I need right down to smallest ingredient. So then on shopping day, I just delete all the things I have on hand.

Sihaya48 12-11-2009 11:29 AM

I have one that I really love and I've posted several posts on my blog about it. I haven't finished that "series" yet, but you're welcome to check it out: http://oneweirdmama.wordpress.com/ta...ment-notebook/ Scroll to the bottom to start at the first post.

Katydid 12-11-2009 11:56 AM

coming back to this...

TraceMama 12-11-2009 12:20 PM

I need to do this too, I think. :yes Donnayoung.org has a lot of printables and ideas for making pages for a binder too. :) Thanks for all the other links to look at!

Katydid 12-11-2009 02:47 PM

http://www.aholyexperience.com/2008/...g-journal.html

Here is the idea that has really spoken to me. I can be rather flighty and I also have perfectionist tendencies, so this has worked out really well for me so far. :)

TrinMama 12-11-2009 04:06 PM

wow..there is so much to read, and so many choices from these great links!

newday 12-11-2009 04:09 PM

subbing

Naxi 12-12-2009 05:59 AM

I have just done the Organised Christmas 6 weeks to an organised Christmas. (Related site to the Organised Home one you mentioned TrinMama.) I loved it.

I am making up a Household Notebook in the new year. I have started some bits and pieces, but I am really going to work on it after Christmas (I am slowly digging myself out of the hole in which *ahem* 30-odd years of disorganisation has buried me!)

I will slowly check out these other sites, too, and pick up the tips that work to build it for me. Thanks for all the links!

Nat

momyshaver 12-12-2009 04:22 PM

I have a binder that I have used... I have been slacking so much this semester when I probably could have used it the most :doh I have dividers for months and put a calander in each month. A pocket pack for a calculator, pens, and scissors. I had sections for vaccination/health (where I had a signed waiver for each of my children JIC we needed it), tips from HSLDA about your rights and if a social worker shows up at the door, etc. with the HSLDA number JIC we need to call... stuff like that. It does help some..but I also tend towards flighty and perfectionist..so go figure:scratch subbing to come back to this... I would like to do a good 'spring cleaning' with things once this semester is over.

saturnfire16 12-12-2009 07:14 PM

I want to come back to this, because what I've using works, but doesn't sound nearly as much fun.

TrinMama 12-30-2009 06:54 AM

I'm finally getting around to putting mine together. I think I'll be making up some of my own pages, since for some things, I'm not finding pages online that I like. I think it will take me all day in between the other things I have to do.

WI Mama05 12-30-2009 07:02 AM

I have one that needs revamping :cup