Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Salads & Vegetable Dishes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=540)
-   -   Prepping Salad? Time-Saving Tips? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=519644)

bananacake 06-27-2016 02:13 PM

Prepping Salad? Time-Saving Tips?

I like to have salad most nights. Nothing fancy - romaine and maybe spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, any other random veggie we might have, a hard-boiled egg if we have one, fermented sauerkraut and olive oil. The thing that prevents me from doing salads daily is all the chopping. Lettuce is the only thing I think could be prepped for a few days and would stay fresh. Bagged salads are cost-prohibitive.

Any time saving tips on prepping salad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esperanza 06-27-2016 02:28 PM

Re: Prepping Salad? Time-Saving Tips?

We definitely prep veggies when we get them and just keep them in tupperware. Broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, carrots, etc. I am not sure tomatoes would work well but other firmer veggies are fine. I like to chop them up when I get them, otherwise I never get to it. Then they are just in the fridge and easy to open and dump.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Peppers could be cut ahead too

charla 06-27-2016 02:36 PM

On the advice of one of my friends, I used to tear (not cut with a knife) a head of romaine and a head of leaf lettuce, dry it in a spinner and store for about five days in a good sealing Tupperware bowl in the fridge. The key is not to use any of the rib parts of the lettuce because they go bad so quickly, just use the leaf part.

Now it just seems easier for me to chop up a couple romaine hearts quickly and add the dressing ingredients and other salad ingredients on top and toss.

esperanza 06-27-2016 02:52 PM

Oh yes, salad spinners are nice! Cauliflower can also be cut ahead.

2sunshines 06-27-2016 03:22 PM

Yeah most salad veggies can be cut up ahead of time and stored effectively in an air tight container in the fridge.

knitlove 06-27-2016 04:25 PM

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...gnwaAgjz8P8HAQ

I have loved this product from the time I was in middle school when it was a start up in Houston. They really work. I can cut up veggies and keep them for a long time. Romaine lettus cut up with a knife will keep a week.

mommylove 06-27-2016 05:57 PM

My MIL makes a ginormous bowl of greens every Sunday. I think she adds shredded carrot, celery & possibly peppers to her mix of greens. :think In individual containers, she preps wetter veggies like cucumbers, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, etc. Every night, she sets everything out and people can make their own salads. When an ingredient is out, it's out for the rest of the week. :giggle

Aerynne 06-27-2016 07:50 PM

Bagged salad is not as expensive at Costco. That being said, I usually don't buy it.

I do buy bags of shredded carrots. They're not expensive and SO much easier!

I also like to add things to salad that aren't produce and are easier to have on hand prepared- canned beans, craisins, canned mandarin oranges, etc.

ECingMama 03-06-2017 08:52 PM

Have you tried the salad in a jar idea?

I made four today. Ate two. :shifty (I ran out of greens, so the second one only had homemade dressing, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, and chicken.)

2sunshines 03-07-2017 02:55 AM

I know this is an old thread, but since it popped back up just wondering if you found any solutions or if this was still something that you were struggling with?

My first thought when I read the OP again was to use child labour? :shifty Is that an option?

bananacake 03-07-2017 05:40 AM

I definitely still need more help in this area. Jarred salads are a GREAT idea for me because I generally weigh and measure my food. Something that holds me back from eating enough veggies these days is I hate to measure all the little bits :bag If I had a standard recipe I followed, or I did 3-4 jars at once, that would be a perfect solution!

My kids are really not great with knives :shifty But I definitely need to teach them to wash and prep in other ways without using 100 gallons of water each time. That said, my kids actually do a lot of chores already. But so do I, I guess!

Aerynne 03-07-2017 12:30 PM

Putting dry paper towels into chopped vegetables keeps them from going bad as fast (especially lettuce or anything else leafy). When the paper towel gets wet, take it out and put in a new one.

ECingMama 03-07-2017 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6071941)
I definitely still need more help in this area. Jarred salads are a GREAT idea for me because I generally weigh and measure my food. Something that holds me back from eating enough veggies these days is I hate to measure all the little bits :bag If I had a standard recipe I followed, or I did 3-4 jars at once, that would be a perfect solution!

My kids are really not great with knives :shifty But I definitely need to teach them to wash and prep in other ways without using 100 gallons of water each time. That said, my kids actually do a lot of chores already. But so do I, I guess!

I tried 3 of the 4 THM salads in a jar, and they are fantastic! I will be making 10 every Sunday! (7 for me, 3 for hubby) Really wish I'd tried this last year!

bananacake 03-07-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6072015)
Putting dry paper towels into chopped vegetables keeps them from going bad as fast (especially lettuce or anything else leafy). When the paper towel gets wet, take it out and put in a new one.

I never would have thought of this because we do not buy paper towels. However at the last freezer meal day I hosted, I warned the ladies I did not have any paper towels and they brought me like 9 rolls :haha I supposed you could use dish towels as well :think

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECingMama (Post 6072024)
I tried 3 of the 4 THM salads in a jar, and they are fantastic! I will be making 10 every Sunday! (7 for me, 3 for hubby) Really wish I'd tried this last year!

Are some dairy free?

ECingMama 03-07-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bananacake (Post 6072025)
I never would have thought of this because we do not buy paper towels. However at the last freezer meal day I hosted, I warned the ladies I did not have any paper towels and they brought me like 9 rolls :haha I supposed you could use dish towels as well :think

---------- Post added at 03:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 PM ----------

Are some dairy free?

yep! all of them! I bought some sheep's cheese to use in mine as a garnish though. (Sam's sample)

Do you still have the cookbook? I know it was drama.

http://darciesdishes.blogspot.com/20...dressings.html

Looks like she has a big list here. It's not specific to make-ahead jars, though, so I'll keep looking.

I am doing simple dressing. Oil. Vinegar. Spices. I did do the slim belly jelly one, but I already had it made.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

http://letslassothemoon.com/2014/12/...n-jar-recipes/

!!

just took out the THM in my searching :)