Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Vegetable & Fruit Gardening, 2018 (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=525068)

Soliloquy 03-31-2018 08:06 PM

Vegetable & Fruit Gardening, 2018

I planted sugar snap peas today. I didn't finish, the toddler was getting fussy. Tomorrow will be busy but I hope to finish on Monday and get spinach planted, too.

I am still looking for kale seeds. All I've found so far is curly kale, we like the lacinato or whatever it is. It's too early to plant much else here. I have to order strawberry plants. I should've done that a long time ago!

charla 04-01-2018 10:43 AM

Re: Vegetable & Fruit Gardening, 2018

Dd and I planted our bag garden on the deck last week with kale, spinach, lettuce and radishes. They are already starting to come up! I forgot to mark which was which so I will have to wait a little longer to tell some of them apart. The only one I can tell is the spinach. :doh:lol We've eaten at least four batches of asparagus so far from the small asparagus patch. I love fresh asparagus so much. :yum

momma2girls 04-01-2018 11:14 AM

I get to share here this year!! I am putting almost everything in tonight and tomorrow. I have peppers, lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, and zucchini. We can’t wait for some of the new additions this year. I’m actually a few weeks late in planting a few of these so I am hoping we get produce from those at all.

Soliloquy 04-01-2018 11:55 AM

Whoa, tomatoes in the ground! It must be warm there.

It's snowing today. And accumulating. :lol. I'm sure it will be gone in a few days but I'm glad peas don't mind snow.

knitlove 04-01-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6135074)
Whoa, tomatoes in the ground! It must be warm there.

It's snowing today. And accumulating. [emoji38]. I'm sure it will be gone in a few days but I'm glad peas don't mind snow.

It snowed here but didn't accumilulate.

I am looking for some veggies I can grow in hanging pots in my porch. It is the only spot that gets enough sun once things leaf out in a few weeks. Any one have any ideas?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2sunshines 04-01-2018 05:06 PM

I can't wait to get to my vegetable garden this year!!! I took last year off because my mother died very unexpectantly in May and it just threw everything off. :( But I'm ready to go again!

I don't do from seeds, but rather plants so I can plant later.

I'm thinking I'll do similar to previous years. Heirloom tomatoes (a couple of varieties), zucchini, and a few varieties of herbs for sure. I still need to choose a few other veggies to grow. :think Depends what looks good at the farmer's market when they sell the plants. I try to think of things that I get a lot of use out of. :think Maybe peppers or kale or lettuce. :think

Soliloquy 04-01-2018 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6135093)
It snowed here but didn't accumilulate.

I am looking for some veggies I can grow in hanging pots in my porch. It is the only spot that gets enough sun once things leaf out in a few weeks. Any one have any ideas?

Just about anything! You can buy tomatoes already in hanging pots at Home
Depot, I'm sure other stores have them, too. Strawberries come in hanging baskets, too. If it gets hot enough, you can grow bell peppers. Lettuce, spinach, etc. and herbs should do really well, too. Lettuce and spinach don't need as much sun and prefer cooler temps so you could hang those in a shadier spot, if you're short on sunny spots.

knitlove 04-02-2018 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6135101)
Just about anything! You can buy tomatoes already in hanging pots at Home
Depot, I'm sure other stores have them, too. Strawberries come in hanging baskets, too. If it gets hot enough, you can grow bell peppers. Lettuce, spinach, etc. and herbs should do really well, too. Lettuce and spinach don't need as much sun and prefer cooler temps so you could hang those in a shadier spot, if you're short on sunny spots.

Oh maybe I will look and see it I might could grow some lettuce in the back! That would be fun.

Hanging on the front porch I get maybe 4 hours of sun, probably more like 3. The whole back yard is dappled at best.

But I have lots of time to do research, I can't put things out in pots untill memorial day. We are still getting down in the mid 20's every night this week.

MaybeGracie 04-02-2018 03:50 PM

Today we planted spinach, lettuce, peas, carrots, and broccoli in our garden. I plan to continually plant (every three weeks). I'm paying my kids $2 per bucket of weeds this summer in hopes of keeping up with that better than I usually do.

On our balcony, I will be planting green onions, mixed greens, basil, rosemary, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Hope to have that done over the next couple of weeks.

Soliloquy 04-02-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6135130)
Oh maybe I will look and see it I might could grow some lettuce in the back! That would be fun.

Hanging on the front porch I get maybe 4 hours of sun, probably more like 3. The whole back yard is dappled at best.

But I have lots of time to do research, I can't put things out in pots untill memorial day. We are still getting down in the mid 20's every night this week.

The nice thing about hanging pots is you can put them in the garage if you get an unexpected late frost. It's still cold here, too. It snowed AGAIN today! :scratch

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

I am definitely digging up all our blackberry bushes. Not looking forward to that. The thorns are deadly. They were "thornless" but we had our chickens in the garden one summer and they dug up all around the crowns and, I discovered, that causes the crown to send up new canes that are full of thorns. :doh

I do love fresh blackberries so I may buy more thornless ones.

I have a wild black raspberry bush growing in the back yard. It's in a pretty shady area and I'm trying to decide if I want to risk moving it to a sunny area. Maybe when it's bigger.

knitlove 04-03-2018 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soliloquy (Post 6135271)
I am definitely digging up all our blackberry bushes. Not looking forward to that. The thorns are deadly. They were "thornless" but we had our chickens in the garden one summer and they dug up all around the crowns and, I discovered, that causes the crown to send up new canes that are full of thorns. :doh

I do love fresh blackberries so I may buy more thornless ones.

I have a wild black raspberry bush growing in the back yard. It's in a pretty shady area and I'm trying to decide if I want to risk moving it to a sunny area. Maybe when it's bigger.

Maybe it is just a Vermont thing ,but where I am people will list things like this for free on Facebook market place or chraigs list. I see plants like this all the time that are free if you come pull them up. It might be worth it to see if you have any takers, it could bless some one else and you could not have to pull them yo your self.

Lady Grey 04-03-2018 07:13 AM

We put in two tomato plants and several strawberry plants. Plus cucumber, okra and watermelon seeds. There were supposed to be zucchini seeds but those were misplaced so I may just pick up a plant soon. I still need to get a basil plant, which I usually buy from Trader Joe's.

Soliloquy 04-03-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6135292)
Maybe it is just a Vermont thing ,but where I am people will list things like this for free on Facebook market place or chraigs list. I see plants like this all the time that are free if you come pull them up. It might be worth it to see if you have any takers, it could bless some one else and you could not have to pull them yo your self.

You're right, I see that around here with rhubarb, iris, etc. I don't know if anyone would even want them. The toughest gloves I have aren't enough. But it's worth trying.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

I'm making a list so I don't forget.

From seed:
Zucchini, maybe
Lettuce
Spinach
Kale
Dill
Basil
Cilantro
Italian parsley
Sugar snap peas
butternut squash
broccoli
red cabbage
stringless bush beans

Plants:
Tomatoes
June bearing strawberries
Cucumbers
Jalapenos

I need bird netting for the grapes

Dig up blackberries
Dig up ever bearing strawberries

2sunshines 04-05-2018 03:55 AM

oh yes! Thanks for the reminder! I definitely want to continue to add some perrennial fruit bushes/trees this year. We already have thriving rhubarb and planted a peach tree a few years ago. Thinking of adding some blueberry and/or raspberry bushes somewhere. :think

tempus vernum 04-07-2018 09:31 PM

We r doing a small garden. It’s been a few years :think I think 3? Since my brain injuries.

My initial list

Spring:
Tomatoes
Peppers
Bush beans
Cucumbers in hanging planter
Lettuce on hanging planter

Fall:
Garlic

That may be it :think we r needing to keep it small and manageable.