Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Husbands Job (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=526158)

Godslilgirl225 10-04-2018 04:10 PM

Husbands Job

Hey ladies, I hope this is the right place to post this question!
I need ideas. My husband stopped out of college studying network technologies to dive headlong into youth ministry. We've been living the ministry life for 10 years now. Well, he completely and totally burned out 6months ago. His new "normal job" is 12-15hour days with very very little pay. Its been what we're calling the "best worst job ever", haha! Best in the sense that he is valued and has a chance to breathe and have an end to his work days. But its the worst because we're broke as a joke, and his days are exhausting and LONG. His days were long in ministry too, but he had flexibility during the week sometimes. This is work from clock in until you clock out at a face pace and the hours are at the mercy of a demanding route.
All of that to ask...I need ideas of what types of jobs to look into. He doesn't believe he is worth anything outside of youth ministry and is pretty defeated. (He would also benefit from counseling but can't go because of work hours at this point...) Not having a degree limits him, but he has an incredible resume full of experience and references that trump that. I'm confident of this! Something outside of truck jobs, route jobs or factory lines! Does such a thing even exist???

Singingmom 10-04-2018 07:26 PM

Re: Husbands Job

Do you have an Amazon warehouse near you? There will be packing jobs, especially as the holidays approach, but maybe that's too close to factory work.

Places like Fed Ex and UPS train people to drive fork lifts to load and unload trucks.

What about a retail store like Target or Home Depot, somewhere he enjoys the atmosphere?

Is he still interested in Network Technologies? (I have no idea what that is!)

With his experience with youth, maybe he'd want to work at something like a YMCA.

I'm not sure if these jobs would pay well enough. :think I know around here Home Depot starts new employees at about $10/hr and Fed Ex at more like $16.

heartofjoy 10-04-2018 09:43 PM

What about being a firefighter? My dh is one and he stated at age 30. They usually pay better than youth ministry with better benefits of you work in a big city. You won't get rich doing it though!

Selling real estate? Might not pay right away though. Selling cars might be better. I have acquaintances that do both and make better money than my dh.

Would he like managing a restaurant or store? I don't think they always have to have degrees depending on the company. He could start at the bottom and work up.

Bank teller?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quiteria 10-05-2018 12:19 PM

Sent you a message.

Soliloquy 10-05-2018 12:55 PM

My local Home Depot is now starting at $13 an hour and they will quickly promote anyone with a great work ethic who is a "people person." Target has also just raised their starting pay, Wal-Mart, too.

Home Depot does have tuition reimbursement, too, once you have worked there a full year.

He'd never work longer than 8 hours a day there. It could be a great thing for him while he looks at other options.

And yes, lots of retail stores and distribution centers are hiring for the holidays right now. They often keep on the good workers after the holidays.

What does he love to do in his spare time? (when he had spare time)

eoconnel 10-14-2018 04:09 PM

Has he thought about restaurant management? He would get to use his people and helping skills, though the hours can be crummy.