Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) ) (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=447759)

Allison 05-01-2012 11:42 AM

Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

Here's the link to my handy-dandy chart about Paleo and Primal. Potatoes are Primal, but not Paleo.

Elora 05-01-2012 11:46 AM

I need more ideas for greens. My kids don't like them anyway that I've tried (which is not many...saute/grill with olive oil or salads). I'm not a fan of smoothies (sad I know but I hate washing the blender, I personally dislike drinking them, and my kids usually waste them)

I grew up where "veggies" meant opening a can of green beans and corn.

What veggies do you make/buy in the winter?

(if this is not the intent of this thread and i should spin, please just let me know!)

Soliloquy 05-01-2012 12:02 PM

For chocolate I add about 2/3 c honey per 8 ozs unsweetened chocolate. Let the chocolate cool about 25 minutes before stirring in the honey.

We eat WAY more vegetables than we did before. Asian foods are served over sautéed cabbage. Cauliflower has replaced potatoes. We have 2-3 veggies with dinner every night.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jujubnme 05-01-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elora (Post 4606442)
I need more ideas for greens. My kids don't like them anyway that I've tried (which is not many...saute/grill with olive oil or salads). I'm not a fan of smoothies (sad I know but I hate washing the blender, I personally dislike drinking them, and my kids usually waste them)

I grew up where "veggies" meant opening a can of green beans and corn.

What veggies do you make/buy in the winter?

(if this is not the intent of this thread and i should spin, please just let me know!)

Have you tried adding greens to certain main dishes? I do this with spinach a lot---add to spaghetti sauce (served on some kind of squash noodles), egg dishes like frittatas/quiche/scrambled eggs, stews etc.

For winter veggies, we make roasted vegetables a lot... broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, sweet potato or carrots (less frequently). I love "kale chips" (torn kale tossed in olive oil, baked in a 300F oven for 10-15 minutes and sprinkled with sea salt)... ds isn't so fond of the kale chips and the Brussels sprouts.

Castle On A Cloud 05-01-2012 12:20 PM

subbing for ideas.

Mamaka 05-01-2012 01:25 PM

SAD = standard American diet

Primal differs from paleo in that it allows some high quality dairy, dark chocolate, and some wine. Depending on who you talk to potatoes might or might not be eaten in a primal diet.

greengirl19 05-01-2012 02:09 PM

We've been eating traditional foods for a little more than a year. A few months ago we figured our G is casein-sensitive and cut dairy. Now I'm praying about doing GAPS or something because there are still random reaction signs. It's all so confusing. And to be doing it on a budget, oy! I'm not quite to the processing part of this journey yet . . .

there are so awesome looking recipes on everyone's boards!

tempus vernum 05-01-2012 02:39 PM

Nutritarian would probably make me ill :giggle Even though I liked being a vegan because meat still kind of grosses me out :shifty, I am finding the further I go forward, the more of my health problems were related to legumes. I can tolerate nuts but in moderation. Too much and . . . yeah, just like the legumes :sick

I am SHOCKED that I can tolerate navy beans because any others are apparently HORRIFYING for my system. I am prayerfully considering lentils because they are supposed to be easier on the system than navy beans :think :pray4 and I am CRAVING hummus (and there is a hummus recipe with lengtils)

Soliloquy 05-01-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greengirl19 (Post 4606749)
We've been eating traditional foods for a little more than a year. A few months ago we figured our G is casein-sensitive and cut dairy. Now I'm praying about doing GAPS or something because there are still random reaction signs. It's all so confusing. And to be doing it on a budget, oy! I'm not quite to the processing part of this journey yet . . .

there are so awesome looking recipes on everyone's boards!

GAPS is really hard at first but SO worth it! Dairy could be back in your lives via GAPS :yum Do you know about the fb group?

Mamaka 05-01-2012 04:55 PM

Allison, that's a fantastic blog post about outlining the differences between paleo, primal and TF. :tu :clap

crunchymum 05-01-2012 05:10 PM

Oh wow. I was surprised at how yummy this was!!! And the kids seemed to like it, too. I know snowpeas aren't exactly primal or paleo, but it was good. :)

I haven't missed grains yet, at all. :shrug I do think I'm over eating a bit, everything has been yummo. :shifty I haven't missed sugar, either. :think

This is the first time ever I've done grain free, I'm thinking maybe I was really scared for no reason. :giggle of course, I know it's easy when it's not in the house, I'm sure I'll be singing another tune when faced with an Aunt Anne's soft pretzel. :giggle

Katigre 05-01-2012 05:28 PM

Snow peas can be primal :yes. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/are-p...beans-healthy/

Soliloquy 05-01-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot (Post 4606042)
Well, we did well for the cookout. I didn't buckle and eat any potatoes, and neither did DH. We enjoyed our meal, and I drank a good bit of Kefir. Haven't had any of the Kombucha though, and the inlaws didn't try it. FIL tried a sip of the kefir but preferred not to drink it. DH complained about his, the kids kept drinking the kefir like it was better that store bought juice, though at the end of the meal asked for soda. (You win some, you lose some.) We watered it down for them.

:cheer

In recent years, we stocked up on flavored mineral water or sparkling juice if our kids were going to be surrounded by soda. In the past year, though, we haven't had to, they just don't care, it's like cigarettes to them.

Amy 05-01-2012 06:53 PM

We're moving towards traditional foods. I've recently learned how healthy and easy it is to make our own peanut butter! I plan on doing our own applesauce as well this week. I made sourdough bread today and I'll be making multigrain muffins in the morning. I have a neighbor who sells his chickens eggs for $1.50/dz. I'm looking forward to doing more and getting rid of more prepackaged stuff.

Can someone tell me why packaged applesauce costs so much less than the apples it takes to make it? Its ridiculous!

Petie 05-01-2012 07:35 PM

I just ordered the Primal Blueprint book. I did this mainly because cutting out Gluten worked for a while, but I'm having issues again, and I saw a newscast that stated that often times cutting out all grain can help. So I'm going to see if that helps. Wish me luck. I have a 15 yr. old who fights me on every dietary change made in this house. The littles don't care, he throws a fit and will take his own money to stock up the pantry with the foods he wants. Then gets onto the kids if they eat any of it.