Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Time for a new vehicle! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=528602)

kiloyd 06-11-2020 08:34 PM

Time for a new vehicle!

You all know I can't make a big decision (or most any decision) by myself. :giggle

I have slowly been working on picking what I want, hoping to replace my van near the end of the year. BUT, my 2007 Odyssey overheated last night and we had it towed the 2 miles to the mechanic. This morning mechanic told me it was the radiator and thermostat...about $550. We said do it. They replaced radiator and discovered it is more. Possibly electrical, having to do with the control panel, might need to take it to the Honda dealer. We will most likely not do that.

I test drove a 2020 Odyssey today and a 2016 Chevrolet Traverse (only one they had). I like both. Need to drive a newer Traverse to compare. It has a new body style.

I want 2017 or newer. Haven't completely ruled out brand new, but most likely want 2-3 years old.

I need to sit 6-7 people. We have never used the 8th seat in my van, almost did last year but didn't need to.

I really really like my van, pretty much the only reason I am looking at the Traverse is I would like a bit higher ground clearance. Last year I pulled my bumper half off on one of those concrete parking bars. And 5 or so years ago pulled off the plastic under carriage cover on a concrete parking bar at Chick-fil-a.

My kids are college, rising 10th,8th and 2nd grader. And a 12 month as my main babysitting child.

The Traverse has pretty good storage room behind the 3rd row, not as much as Odyssey but good as SUV's go.

What else to think about?

graciousmomma 06-12-2020 12:23 AM

Re: Time for a new vehicle!

We just got a Toyota Highlander in December. We are liking it so far. Ours can seat 8, but many are 7 passenger models. Everyone we have heard who has one really likes them.

heartofjoy 06-12-2020 07:32 AM

I would look at Traverse reviews specifically looking at reliability. I have a friend that keeps replacing her GMC Acadia (same car) because of all sorts of crazy issues. I don't understand why she keeps getting the same car! I get that they are roomy and exactly what she wants but she's been stranded so many times and out so much money!

Dh and I have owned chevy, gmc and chrysler cars for 20 years and this year we finally had enough with all the repairs and replaced with Toyotas. Chevrolet is especially known for mystery electrical problems in their cars for the last 15 years.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciousmomma (Post 6220819)
We just got a Toyota Highlander in December. We are liking it so far. Ours can seat 8, but many are 7 passenger models. Everyone we have heard who has one really likes them.

We got a 2016 Highlander that seats 8 and I love it. The only thing that was an issue was I had a weird blind spot but I corrected it by sitting on a cushion. I'm really short!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

amommy23 06-12-2020 08:00 AM

My mom had a traverse and found it hard to park. She wasn’t sure if there was some issue in the power steering of hers or if it’s just that traverses are hard to park (She ended up trading in for something smaller). If you test drive a new one, you might want to pull into a parking lot and try parking a few times to see how that goes.
I drive a basic Town and Country which is fine and gets us where we need to go, but borrowed my in-laws’ newer Honda Odyssey (2 or 3 years old) in December to drive through Christmas lights because we needed the 8th seat. It drove like a dream and a couple of the features like the blind spot alert were pretty neat.

kiloyd 06-12-2020 11:37 AM

My parents have an Equinox and really like it. My dad slightly wishes they got a Traverse that is a little bit roomier.

There is not good visibility out the back window. But I have been driving an Odyssey for 13 years!

I think I am leaning toward the Traverse mostly for more ground clearance. Need to go drive a newer one thought to compare.

ETA: my dad told me something helpful. When he got a new truck he first thought to himself "I really liked my old truck". I will TOTALLY cry and miss my van no matter what I get!

ECingMama 06-12-2020 03:44 PM

Given your kids ages, I'd look at Enterprise Car sales for a newwr, used van. Whe had ours 5 years. No issues.

kiloyd 06-12-2020 08:36 PM

So...I have a Traverse for over night. I gave it the grocery store test tonight and it passed. My kids all want me to get the Traverse. :giggle

I think I want to drive an Odyssey again to compare.

They both drive nice!

mipennsn 06-14-2020 05:41 AM

We got a 2016 Traverse last summer replacing a T & C. Ours is 8 passenger. I’ve sat in all 3 rows and found the ride comfortable. I have a kid on a permit, so I have spent a lot of time in the 2nd row. You can’t go wrong with either choice (my sister has an Odyssey).

kiloyd 06-14-2020 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mipennsn (Post 6221018)
We got a 2016 Traverse last summer replacing a T & C. Ours is 8 passenger. I’ve sat in all 3 rows and found the ride comfortable. I have a kid on a permit, so I have spent a lot of time in the 2nd row. You can’t go wrong with either choice (my sister has an Odyssey).

:):heart

I think I have decided Traverse. A 7 passenger.

now....deciding on cloth or leather. I prefer cloth but limited choices in bucket 2nd row and cloth. considering I could get a seat cover for the driver seat. But I'm not crazy about leather for car seats, even though I am almost done with car seats

knitlove 06-14-2020 08:47 AM

I had leather seats in Texas in collage, it was horrible because they would get so hot. I kept burning my leggs whenever I wore a skirt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kiloyd 06-14-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6221032)
I had leather seats in Texas in collage, it was horrible because they would get so hot. I kept burning my leggs whenever I wore a skirt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

We live in SC! And I do use a reflective visor.

DH says get what I want, the money saver in me says get 1-2 years old with leather and buy seat covers for at least the front seats.

ViolaMum 06-14-2020 02:56 PM

I'd go for the leather so I could have bun (seat) warmers. :shifty

But I live in New England.

Llee 06-14-2020 03:13 PM

I adore leather for clean-up abilities and seat-warmer abilities.

mipennsn 06-15-2020 04:06 AM

Cloth can also have seat heaters.

Virginia 06-15-2020 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mipennsn (Post 6221077)
Cloth can also have seat heaters.

Yup! Mine does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk