Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Positive/gentle alternatives to Adventures In Odessey? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527521)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 08-21-2019 03:08 PM

Positive/gentle alternatives to Adventures In Odessey?

Im not sure this topic belings here, feel free to move it if you want.

We have 2 CDs of Adventures in Odessey, 4 stories. 3 of them include themes of parental abandonment. 2 of them feature a scene of a child being physically beat (not even just spanked) by a parent. 2 involve themes of EXTREME bullying at school. Theres not one story I am happy for DD to listen to.:shrug3

She really likes the voice acting and wants to listen to them in the car. I like the idea of a wholesome, Christian production for her to listen to but Adventures in Odessey is just too dark.

Jonathan park is not better, from the stuff I have heard. I remember hearing a very anti-female episode on there once. (specifically it was opposed to women working outside the home.)

So is there a gentle/positive Christian story series for us to listen to in the car?

Katigre 08-21-2019 03:27 PM

Re: Positive/gentle alternatives to Adventures In Odessey?

We've listened to almost all of the Adventures in Odyssey (talking 25+ albums - we stopped around the Green Ring Conspiracy) and have found that the programs from the 2000's and on were pretty gentle and surprisingly good on topics like parent-child relationships. Do you know when the programs you listened to were from? The early 90's ones were a lot more punitive, but there was a shift that happened in the writing later on that I appreciated.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

I didn't necessarily agree with everything in the episodes, but punitive parenting was not at the forefront of the programs in my memory. My kids really enjoyed them and if there was something that didn't fit within our family philosophy it didn't seem to be something they noticed.

In terms of 'not dark' stories...it's hard for me to think of ones that are less intense than Odyssey (we do a lot of audio books). One of my critiques of Odyssey is that it's a bit too sanitized/sacharrine in how it deals with issues.

MegMarch 08-21-2019 03:31 PM

PBS' new show Molly of Denali has podcast stories and so far, none have pinged my radar. They are secular, of course.

Following for other ideas.

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 08-21-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katigre (Post 6189939)
We've listened to almost all of the Adventures in Odyssey (talking 25+ albums - we stopped around the Green Ring Conspiracy) and have found that the programs from the 2000's and on were pretty gentle and surprisingly good on topics like parent-child relationships. Do you know when the programs you listened to were from? The early 90's ones were a lot more punitive, but there was a shift that happened in the writing later on that I appreciated.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

I didn't necessarily agree with everything in the episodes, but punitive parenting was not at the forefront of the programs in my memory. My kids really enjoyed them and if there was something that didn't fit within our family philosophy it didn't seem to be something they noticed.

In terms of 'not dark' stories...it's hard for me to think of ones that are less intense than Odyssey (we do a lot of audio books). One of my critiques of Odyssey is that it's a bit too sanitized/sacharrine in how it deals with issues.

Ill have to check and see when these ones were written. (They are in the car and its storming out. ;) ) Maybe I just got a couple bad ones? Do you know of any episodes in partcular that were pleasant?

Ill look into the Molly of Denali podcast. Not eveything we listen to is Christian.

marbles 08-21-2019 04:07 PM

These are not Christian, but they're kid adventures podcasts with positive themes:
The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian is about a group of explorer kids in space. They're on a mission to find a new planet and in the meantime they encounter various aliens and other humans with opposing agendas. It's funny, but they also get into serious situations. There are parents involved, and a big plus on this is inclusiveness. Most characters could be any race (legitimately, this seems so have been done on purpose) and there are multiple female characters, many of whom are in leadership positions.
What If World is totally silly stories that actually address a topic, like fears and emotions you don't like and discrimination and embracing who you are instead of focusing on what you aren't, etc.

The Tickle Momster 08-21-2019 04:21 PM

The Pond! It's really good. They have some videos/movies too.

lifeatthepond.com

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Sparrow 08-21-2019 04:23 PM

I agree with Katigre
My boys like them, I think the ones we had were 2005/2006
Only one scares Max, it’s called Gloobers or something.

Beth1231 08-21-2019 04:40 PM

Focus on the Family Theater did some amazing work on the Chronicles of Narnia series. We’ve listened to it many, many times. I know they did other books as well.

Quiteria 08-21-2019 06:35 PM

Narnia was frightening to mine at that age, though...I know it's beloved by many, and one of my own favorites, but we got to where Aslan was being sacrificed, and even knowing how it ends, one of mine refused to listen further at that scene.

Beth1231 08-22-2019 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiteria (Post 6189965)
Narnia was frightening to mine at that age, though...I know it's beloved by many, and one of my own favorites, but we got to where Aslan was being sacrificed, and even knowing how it ends, one of mine refused to listen further at that scene.

True, one of my kids wasn’t ready for that story for a long while and we listened to the other ones.

ValiantJoy07 08-22-2019 07:01 AM

The early Oddessy albums have some punitive talk. I also hate how the kids talk to each other at times, I do not like having negative sibling relationships modeled by a Christian resource. :-/

Like Katigre said the later albums (20+) are better, there is definitely a shift in the early 2000's.

http://www.aiowiki.com/wiki/Series_albums

I will say the story arc with Novacom are a family favorite my sensitive kids really enjoyed it at age 7-8+ my current almost4 year-old loves the show right now (but he kind of weeks out "scary" stuff).

gerberadaisy 08-23-2019 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbles (Post 6189947)
These are not Christian, but they're kid adventures podcasts with positive themes:
The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian is about a group of explorer kids in space. They're on a mission to find a new planet and in the meantime they encounter various aliens and other humans with opposing agendas. It's funny, but they also get into serious situations. There are parents involved, and a big plus on this is inclusiveness. Most characters could be any race (legitimately, this seems so have been done on purpose) and there are multiple female characters, many of whom are in leadership positions.
What If World is totally silly stories that actually address a topic, like fears and emotions you don't like and discrimination and embracing who you are instead of focusing on what you aren't, etc.

OK, I know nothing about podcasts so how do I go about finding The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian? Just google? Is it on a specific website? We're studying astronomy this year & this might go along nicely with that. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beth1231 (Post 6189953)
Focus on the Family Theater did some amazing work on the Chronicles of Narnia series. We’ve listened to it many, many times. I know they did other books as well.

I remember listening to these as an adult on the radio & getting excited every time I came across one. My kiddo loved me reading these last year. Maybe I need to check out the Family Theater version.

marbles 08-23-2019 03:07 PM

Gerberdaisy, here you go:
http://www.finncaspian.com/how-to-listen/

Forgot to say they're all about literature too, that's a major theme.

2sunshines 08-23-2019 03:21 PM

I agree with the others, we have listened to AIO for years and I don't really recall lots that is that concerning. I suspect you hit a few random ones.... Give it a try again!

The Pond is another one that we LOVED and the kids listened to a lot here.

Focus on the Family Theater does some really great drama audiobooks. But I think most of them are for older kids. :think I'm thinking primarily of Narnia, the Hiding Place. etc.

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord 08-27-2019 04:37 PM

Christian books is having a sale and I think it ends today.... Do any of these AIO look good? https://www.christianbook.com/page/k...t=Kids|1000490