Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=438)
-   -   Vegan without eating soy? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=453487)

breezy88 06-30-2012 02:12 AM

Vegan without eating soy?

Can you be a vegan and not eat soy? I don't want to eat any soy? No tofu? No soybeans, soy milk etc.

I don't care if their is a remote trace of soy as long as it's organic.

I don't know if this is possible...is it? Can you be a healthy vegan without soy? And what about for my kids? Do they need soy if they are vegan?

Help.

I know nothing.

Also......does anyone know how I can find out which organic egg companies are the best as far as ethical treatment of animals....same goes for dairy.

But I think meat is out for us now because the meat industry makes me sick.

---------- Post added at 02:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 AM ----------

Ok..i posted this in recipes by accident..
admin can you move it to the support forum....thanks.

ShangriLewis 06-30-2012 05:57 AM

Re: Vegan without eating soy?

Yes you can. There are people allergic to soy and they make it work. A variety of foods is what is healthy. I think people have been conditioned to see meat and dairy as the mainstay of the diet. So, they think they need soy as a vegan mainstay. But, all plant foods are vegan. Veggies, fruits, grains, nut, seeds, beans all contain the building blocks we need to maintain and grow awesome bodies!

---------- Post added at 05:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 AM ----------

Compassionatecook.com has some great podcasts if you like to listen to information.

What can we help you do to get started? Menu planning, meal ideas, snack ideas, child pleasing ideas.

thrillofhope 06-30-2012 11:37 AM

I'm doing it. I, too, don't mind little bits of soy, but I certainly don't want to base my diet on soy. I guess I can't say I'm vegan, yet. *mostly* vegan might be a better description. :wink My meals are based on vegetables, grains (usually rice, quinoa, or bread), and legumes (beans of all sorts, peanuts). I have some nuts and seeds occasionally, as well. Soy is really only a part of the meat/dairy replacement products, and if you don't eat those there's no worry. But even if you want replacements, there are nut based milks and cheeses, wheat meat, etc. You can pretty easily avoid obvious soy if you don't mind it as a small ingredient (like soy lecithin as the last ingredient, yk?).

HTH!

Kiara.I 06-30-2012 11:46 AM

For eggs your best bet might be to buy local. Go *visit* the farm and see how the animals are treated. They might not be "organic" (as in certified organic) but the farming practices might well be as good or better than what's required for organic, you know?

teamommy 06-30-2012 12:07 PM

Yes, as long as you eat other beans and a variety of vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts.

I don't eat all that much soy and I could definitely eliminate if I had to for some reason.

HuggaBuggaMommy 06-30-2012 02:12 PM

Yes, you can. I don't eat soy - unless it's trace (which happens sometimes), or fermented tamari (rarely). No tofu, no soy-based meat replacement. I try to stay away from processed foods altogether, and most soy is highly processed.

TraceMama 06-30-2012 06:04 PM

:cup

L-Boogie 06-30-2012 11:30 PM

Yes! I don't have a diet based on soy :no Not at all. I have kept soy sauce :yum It's fairly easy to base your meals around beans/lentils and a mix of veggies :yes Most supermarkets now have almondmilk :rockon

I can't imagine that anyone would want to eat tofu everyday anyhow :yuck

breezy88 07-01-2012 12:39 AM

Why can't I find organic almond milk? or almond butter?

This is hard for me because I only want to eat organic food. So for example I saw the earth balance stuff at Safeway today but it's not organic....do they make an organic one?

Kiara.I 07-01-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breezy88 (Post 4724305)
Why can't I find organic almond milk? or almond butter?

Don't know about almond milk (though you could make your own.) But organic almond butter is available. Try Superstore. The one near me usually has it. And there's that other health food store that's quite close to you that should have it.

L-Boogie 07-01-2012 12:48 PM

They make organic earth balance :yes not sure what stores you have near you that would carry it though.
I can't afford to eat *all* organic, so I'm not much help there. Almonds are way more expensive when I buy organic, so I just don't worry about it :shrug

Anyone know if the almond butter at Costco is organic? I think it might be. :think

ShangriLewis 07-01-2012 12:54 PM

You can always ask your store. You might have to buy a case, but mine always gives a 10% discount. It just needs to be in their warehouse and in their computer.

Llee 07-01-2012 01:10 PM

Have you looked to see if there is a co-op near you?

breezy88 07-02-2012 11:40 PM

I am near the bellingham food coop

thrillofhope 07-03-2012 05:45 PM

I think there's an organic Earth Balance, and I know there's a soy-free one, but I don't know if the two intertwine, yk?