Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   How does *your* garden grow? Show and tell! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=504493)

HuggaBuggaMommy 05-15-2014 06:15 AM

How does *your* garden grow? Show and tell!

I'm in zone 5, so Mother's Day is basically our frost-free date. This week has been garden week. I have one more section to plant (my melons, and maybe a few more tomatoes) and then I'm done. I do raised beds and square foot gardening, with lots of vertical growth.

I'll come back with pictures as soon as that last bed is planted.

I'd love to see your gardens, too! :rockon

NayneeNoo 05-15-2014 06:24 AM

Re: How does *your* garden grow? Show and tell!

:popcorn

I'll come back with pictures in a bit.

bentlaj11 05-15-2014 06:51 AM

I need to take some pictures... I mostly grow ants, though :giggle

NayneeNoo 05-15-2014 11:18 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps72be4472.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ps4ec8ff9d.jpg

First picture is strawberries. Second picture is a few strawberries I moved from the other side, 3 tomato plants and 2 bell pepper plants that I just planted seeds yesterday.

Sundance 05-15-2014 11:28 AM

subbing. Our garden is still under a light in our porch. We won't be planting out for a few more weeks yet. Our frost date is usually May 24, but its been a late spring & we just moved & have to plow up a garden, first & the land is still too wet to get on.

2sunshines 05-15-2014 11:31 AM

No garden yet, but we're getting close to it being warm enough. :rockon

My dh built me a raised garden bed this year so I'm going to plant mostly herbs, but also some kale and zucchini.

LadybugSam 05-15-2014 11:51 AM

:popcorn I just switcheds computer and all my photos are on the old hard drive :bag I'll get some when i move them over tonight...or i'll just take new pictures. I live in California so my garden has been in for a while now. Now the struggle is making myself go out there and water it twice a day in 100 degree heat :shifty

be back to this thread later. Your strawberries look really healthy Amy :tu

hold on, i found one! This was mainly to show off my new garden fence but i'm growing my garden in the side yard on the south side of my house. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps7b26a43a.jpg

I am doing a sort of square foot garden plan. I have carrots, dill, basil, 4 squares of green beans and i have one empty square where I pulled up some radish already and i'm not sure what to put in it for the summer season, the temperature is already climbing into the triple digits here. In my other box I have 3 varieties of tomatoes ( green zebra, Mr. Stripey :giggle and an Ace tomato) and a red bell pepper plant :) Behind that i have a cherry tomato plant in a large container. I also have a container of mint near the faucet

charla 05-15-2014 12:12 PM

I'm not sure what's wrong with my garden. None of my plants from seed grew. :scratch

I did get three and half bunches of asparagus before I accidentally let it go to seed while I was dealing with my concussion. :tu

HuggaBuggaMommy 05-16-2014 04:20 AM

It rained yesterday, and it's raining today, so I'm not sure I'll get to finish putting in my melons, but I did get the bed filled and one melon cage made (only seven more to go). We were at Lowes to pick up a couple things, and found a roll of livestock fencing - regularly $135, on clearance for $15 :jawdrop - perfect for making trellises and cages.

bentlaj11 05-18-2014 09:31 PM

http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/...ps022ef44c.jpg

The tomatoes and peppers. The squash, cucumbers and maybe watermelon are on the other side, but they aren't very big.

RiverRock 05-18-2014 09:48 PM

Yesterday I planted most of my garden. My children wanted more flowers, so sunflowers, lupins and nasturtiums take up almost an entire raised bed. There was still room for peas and snow peas.

In another raised bed I have beans, tomatoes (well the cages...the plants will be purchased soon), carrots and turnips.

A third bed has beets, gai lan and radishes. This bed also has chives, oregano and dill. I have a bit of room for more herbs, but not everything will fit. Some herbs will need to go in containers.

I still have potatoes, kale and delphiniums to plant. We are converting our sandbox for those. It might take me a few days to prep this new bed for planting.

I had been doing square foot gardening, but I removed the strings so I could properly weed and rake the soil. I want to add a lot of compost in the fall, so I don't want to put the strings back. The raised beds aren't planted very heavily, so I can focus on soil amendment. I will probably go back to square foot gardening because so much can fit into my spaces with this approach.

HuggaBuggaMommy 05-20-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverRock (Post 5764219)
I had been doing square foot gardening, but I removed the strings so I could properly weed and rake the soil. I want to add a lot of compost in the fall, so I don't want to put the strings back. The raised beds aren't planted very heavily, so I can focus on soil amendment. I will probably go back to square foot gardening because so much can fit into my spaces with this approach.

I don't use strings for my SFG. I just measure, draw lines in the dirt, and plant.

Still haven't had a chance to get my melons in. :sigh Hopefully Thursday or Friday (dd has a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and then we have Bible study).

I think I might take pictures anyway, and y'all can just pretend my melons are planted. :giggle

treehugginmama 05-20-2014 06:28 PM

We are planted. We did smaller this year. I will take pics tomorrow

sprout 05-20-2014 07:56 PM

this year I am bound and determined to do my garden justice. We just finished the perimeter fence from this years expansion. I have two rows planted out of the nine planned. The kids and I raked half a mountain side (no, really) to get two pick up truck loads of grass to add to the garden in hopes of it controlling the weeds.

I am really excited about the thought of canning all of this great stuff...if it doesn't kill me first!

Sundance 05-21-2014 11:05 AM

I finally took a few pics. Nothing is in the ground yet...still a bit to go before the risk of frost is passed & (as you can see by the pics) DH is still getting the garden ready to go. I wish I'd been able to plant peas and spinach & all that early, but we'll have to do that next year!

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...7d30be608d.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x..._142825617.jpg