Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Slow Cooker Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=548)
-   -   Crock Pot Apple Butter (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=374819)

Eesti 09-07-2010 06:45 PM

Re: Crock Pot Apple Butter

And then what do you eat it with? I don't think I have had it before?

TuneMyHeart 09-07-2010 06:52 PM

I eat it in place of jelly. It's really good.

WI Mama05 09-07-2010 07:00 PM

I was just gonna ask if you can freezer-can it instead of pressure. That's the only way I know how :bag

DoulaClara 09-07-2010 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WI Mama05 (Post 3320090)
I was just gonna ask if you can freezer-can it instead of pressure. That's the only way I know how :bag

:yes

Maggirayne 09-07-2010 07:19 PM

How do you freezer can?

Ajani, it wasn't your blog, it was someone else's. Sorry.

I just got plums tonight, so now I need to go look. Lol!

I love apple butter and peanut butter sandwiches. :yum On toast or bran muffins too.

Ajani 09-08-2010 06:14 AM

Pressure canned? I did boiling water for 10 minutes (half pint jars). Found that here, among other places (I don't recommend her "inversion method" though).

ncsweetpea 09-08-2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimming with sharks (Post 3318232)
I love to do it overnight so that it's ready to can first thing in the am (I'm a morning person! :tu)
Peel, core, and chop apples. 14 Large apples fit in my crockpot. Add 1 Tbsp vanilla. Cook apples for 8 hrs on low. Massh up apples. Add 2 tsp cinnamon, 2 c white sugar, 1 c brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp ground up cloves. (I only add 1 c brown sugar normally that's way sweet enough!) Thwen can and process for 10 minutes. :rockon :yum

Do you process it under pressure or in a water bath? And while we're talking apples and canning...can (like that pun???) you give us your apple pie filling recipe. (Amy, this is worth making too!)

Serendipity 09-08-2010 09:30 AM

bump

I want to know how to pressure can anf freezer can:yes

DoulaClara 09-08-2010 11:03 AM

My pressure canner came with awesome, clear directions for pressure canning. I could go grab my instruction booklet later!

Ajani, I think the cooperative extension only rec's hot water canning for things that are highly acidic or jellies/jams that are thinner. I would hot water bath can it if it would be eaten within 3 mos, but I know it wouldn't go that fast here (just because I can in lg quantities, for the most part).

Serendipity 09-08-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoulaClara (Post 3321472)
My pressure canner came with awesome, clear directions for pressure canning. I could go grab my instruction booklet later!

Ajani, I think the cooperative extension only rec's hot water canning for things that are highly acidic or jellies/jams that are thinner. I would hot water bath can it if it would be eaten within 3 mos, but I know it wouldn't go that fast here (just because I can in lg quantities, for the most part).

Ah, so you have to actually buy a pressure canning device. Hmm...maybe I should look into investing in one :D

swimming with sharks 09-08-2010 06:07 PM

I've hot water bath canned my apple butter for the last three years and we're all fine. :shrug3 I never really thought about it not working. We also hot water bath can applesauce, peach butter, and peaches, but not pumpkin butter. :think

I"ll type up the apple pie filling recipe after I finish folding my laundry (I need to add up my points for the challenge :giggle)

simplegirl 09-08-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimming with sharks (Post 3322370)
I've hot water bath canned my apple butter for the last three years and we're all fine. :shrug3 I never really thought about it not working. We also hot water bath can applesauce, peach butter, and peaches, but not pumpkin butter. :think

I"ll type up the apple pie filling recipe after I finish folding my laundry (I need to add up my points for the challenge :giggle)

Yum. Ok, so *what* does that entail. I need play by play exact directions or I will mess it up somehow :shifty :bag

swimming with sharks 09-08-2010 06:33 PM

boil water in a BIG pot.
Put clean jars in big pot and let boil for 10 mins
put lids and rings in smaller pot and boil also
Take jars out of boiling water, pour hot applesauce/apple butter/whatever into jars.
Wipe top of jar and threads with wet washcloth.
Pull lid out of boiling water and put on top of the jar.
Tighten ring on jar.
Once they're all filled and lids are on, put the jars in the boiling water canner and "process" (fancy word for boil) for however many minutes called for in the recipe.
VOILA.... yummy stuff for the long cold hard winter so Pa doesn't have to hitch up the horses to take everyone to Walmart to buy jam filled with HFCS. *curtsy*

simplegirl 09-08-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimming with sharks (Post 3322430)
boil water in a BIG pot.
Put clean jars in big pot and let boil for 10 mins
put lids and rings in smaller pot and boil also
Take jars out of boiling water, pour hot applesauce/apple butter/whatever into jars.
Wipe top of jar and threads with wet washcloth.
Pull lid out of boiling water and put on top of the jar.
Tighten ring on jar.
Once they're all filled and lids are on, put the jars in the boiling water canner and "process" (fancy word for boil) for however many minutes called for in the recipe.
VOILA.... yummy stuff for the long cold hard winter so Pa doesn't have to hitch up the horses to take everyone to Walmart to buy jam filled with HFCS. *curtsy*

so "put the jars in the boiling water canner"....is that the same BIG pot you were boiling in the first step or are you actually refering to a canning specific pot??? and since i only have the recipe on here, how long would you boil applebutter for? thank you thank you thank you!

Earthylady 09-08-2010 07:51 PM

This sounds fabulous! i can't wait to try it!