Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Hate to cause conflict with my church ladies. (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=442918)

gentletitus2mama 03-12-2012 06:49 AM

Hate to cause conflict with my church ladies.

I knew some of my mom friends at church used a schedule and have never said a word about it. But I posted the aap recomendation on facebook lastnight along with my well researched opinion and a few of the ladies commented or messaged me saying they are pretty offended I would post that link and that THEIR children did great and it was a life saver for their family. And I had one that said I should remove the offensive picture with the aap recomendations.:shifty I told them that I didn't mean to offend anyone but that after nearly 15 years of researching this issue and now that I am going to college for child development/psychology it's the one parenting topic that I choose to speak out about because it personally affected me and my family. I don't want to lose friends over this but:shrug3 I don't plan to remove it from my page either. But still for this peace lovin' mama it's hard to know that people are upset with me.

ThreeKids 03-12-2012 06:53 AM

Re: Hate to cause conflict with my church ladies.

:hug

mamajane 03-12-2012 07:00 AM

I'm sorry they're upset with you. :hug

IMO, if you had posted it on THEIR wall, maybe they could be offended, but you posted it on YOUR wall, and they are free to skim right past it if it doesn't appeal to them, ykwim? I think people need to stop cultivating a "spirit of offense" and not feel like they have to police what you post on your wall.

That said, I totally understand how conflict sucks for those of us who are sensitive to it, and I hope it blows over quickly.

WanderingJuniper 03-12-2012 07:17 AM

:hug Sorry you're dealing with this. FB is such a double sided thing. IRT someoen suggesting you "should" do something. I've said more than once to people who make such comments to me "Please do not "should" me. Thank you." And leave it at that. As for their offense, it is their choice. And, yes it is a choice to be offended. :hug It isn't like you posted something from an alternative minded source. It is a mainstream organization.
:hug

Llee 03-12-2012 07:58 AM

People told you to take it down off YOUR wall? Whoa.

LadyofReason 03-12-2012 08:49 AM

They can hide that individual story if it offends them so bad. You don't have to do a thing.

ArmsOfLove 03-12-2012 08:51 AM

it's incredibly unboundaried for them to tell you to take it off of your wall. And it's not like you are the AAP :doh

BabyMonsterMommy 03-12-2012 08:52 AM

What's the app??? :shifty

Otherwise, I can't stand conflict either, but at some point you just have to say, "I am not ultimately responsible for your feelings."

Ajani 03-12-2012 09:00 AM

Sounds like your post hit a nerve. I'd be rather pleased about that, personally. :shifty

Tengokujin 03-12-2012 09:03 AM

Your board your post. They can hide it from view if it bothers them. I do this regularly!:lol

SweetCaroline 03-12-2012 09:05 AM

brush off the haters..:shifty

seriously, i really really wish *someone* in the church would have told me that it was ok to NOT schedule,or to pick my baby up when he cried.

keep it up, dont feel bad.you never know who just got the approval to follow their heart

MidnightCafe 03-12-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyMonsterMommy (Post 4514080)
What's the app??? :shifty

Otherwise, I can't stand conflict either, but at some point you just have to say, "I am not ultimately responsible for your feelings."

AAP = American Academy of Pediatrics

I agree that this shows a serious lack of boundaries on their part and that people have the ability to choose whether or not to be offended. You have the right to speak out for something you feel strongly about, ESPECIALLY when backed by so much research and information.

twentysixcats 03-12-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajani (Post 4514100)
Sounds like your post hit a nerve. I'd be rather pleased about that, personally. :shifty

What she said!! :yes

:hug Way to go for standing up for it! I hate causing conflict too which is why I don't post about these types of things... I sometimes wish I had more nerve. :O

BabyMonsterMommy 03-12-2012 09:26 AM

Ooooohhhhhhhh!!!! I thought YOU were recommending an "app." I was like I WANT THAT!

ReedleBeetle 03-12-2012 09:58 AM

Good for you!! :rockon

ENFP moment here:
My sister tried to pull this "that offends me you shouldn't put it on your wall" crud with me. My response was "My FB is like my home....I can put anything I want on the walls and no one can expect me to change it...because it's mine. Now, if I come in *your* home and start redecorating and putting things on *your* walls....be offended....you would have every right. However, on my wall, just look away or don't comment if you don't like it." doesn't matter now...she doesn't have access. :shifty