Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Exposure to pertussis at summer camp (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=506695)

Firebird Rising 07-09-2014 11:04 PM

Exposure to pertussis at summer camp

Cameron got back from diabetes camp last Wednesday (he's a type one diabetic) and I just got an email that he had been exposed to pertussis there. They recommend a prophylactic course of antibiotics because he is considered immune at risk as a diabetic. He's going on a two week car trip to Seattle with my mom next week and I will not be with him. Should I try to get him in and at least have the abx on hand if something should happen while he's gone? What's your call? I know very little about that particular illness, unfortunately. He is unvaccinated at this time.

camperjen 07-10-2014 08:13 AM

Re: Exposure to pertussis at summer camp

We had pertussis about 4-5 years ago (my boys are unvaxxed), and I investigated a lot back then. It is a really horrible illness. Going back I still wouldn't vax, but seriously, it's really hard - it can be 3 months of coughing and/or choking.

The abx are still a guess whether it kills the virus or not, and it may or may not lessen symptoms if he DOES contract it. I also believe in minimal abx use.

That said, I'd go ahead NOW and let him run the course and take the abx (Z-pack, right?) if it might help minimize issues. It's pretty communicable and spreads easily. I assume you don't know *who* had it and whether they had close contact with your son? How old is your son?

mamaKristin 07-10-2014 08:22 AM

I'd be tempted to go the abx route just in case. And we're a low-vax, non-abx seeking family, FWIW (I think each of my kids have been on abx once in their lives :think)

My DD has only been sick with head colds since dx, but they have really done a number on sugars, and I wouldn't want her care in someone else's hands if she's sick. If this is the time that he'd be doing a road trip and it couldn't be delayed, I'd be doing the abx. Potential sickness, road trip, and main caregiver not there would be making me stressed.

ValiantJoy07 07-10-2014 08:32 AM

That is a rough call. I am extremely "antibiotics are a last resort" personally, but in this case I would consider them. :yes especially given that (I assume) he is on medical supplements for his diabetes I would be reluctant (or probably unable?) to try clay or activated charcoal daily for 2 weeks to ward it off. :yes

If it reduced his chance of getting sick with it I would do it, that is really some thing not worth dealing with, lid rather do a month of probiotics and fermented foods to build things back up than 3 months of vomit coughing. :shiver

Just my :twocents :O

Dtswife 07-10-2014 08:52 AM

I had it two years ago (fully vaxed as a child ftr) and had it for two months before abx (z-pak) clears it up. It's horrible. I would get them, and if he starts showing symptoms, you have them on hand. If he doesn't, flush them in a few weeks.

Sparrow 07-10-2014 08:55 AM

Another one to say get the abx just in case. I had it about 10 years ago. It's horrible.

mamacat 07-10-2014 09:50 AM

Would also have on hand if starts getting symptoms - in meantime would do lots of vit C foods and elderberry syrup and probiotics

camperjen 07-10-2014 10:08 AM

Once he has symptoms, he has pertussis and abx won't do a whole lot to lessen symptoms - he needs to take them now to do its best to get rid of any active virus in his body before it multiplies enough to make him sick.

We took abx a week into symptoms and my one son was still sick for months, and quite severely (turning blue almost once every day and coughing to vomiting a few times a day). Once you have the virus, you have to stop it in its tracks - once it starts on the cascade of symptoms, you can't really stop it.

Punkie 07-10-2014 11:27 AM

We are friends with several (vaccinated) families who caught it. In each case, the family members who started the course of antibiotics BEFORE they showed symptoms did much better. If you want to go that route, time is of the essence.

I would personally do immune-boosting herbs. Wishgarden Herbs makes a kids immune blend that includes yerba santa and several good immune boosters, like echinacea. They sell it at health food stores. There are quite a few herbs that are good once a person has pertussis, including wild cherry bark, thyme, mullein, yerba santa. I'd have those on hand, but we are a pretty herb-y family. ;)

Little Forest 07-10-2014 11:31 AM

Camperjen, it is actually a bacteria, not a virus.
Posted via Mobile Device

Firebird Rising 07-10-2014 02:18 PM

I didn't know it was a bacteria. I am on hold waiting to talk to his pediatrician office for an appointment.

cbmk4 07-10-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkie (Post 5799086)
We are friends with several (vaccinated) families who caught it. In each case, the family members who started the course of antibiotics BEFORE they showed symptoms did much better. If you want to go that route, time is of the essence.

Yes, best chance to prevent disease onset (by using antibiotics) is to take the Zithromax now.

flowermama 07-10-2014 04:37 PM

Yes, from what I've read it's best to take the antibiotics before the symptoms occur if you want to take them in order to help avoid getting sick or to help minimize the symptoms if you do get sick. If someone takes them after they get sick they say it's supposed to kill the bacteria so they are no longer contagious, though not make them feel better.

My kids took antibiotics after they had had whooping cough for quite awhile, after we found out it was whooping cough, so that they wouldn't be contagious. That way we could tell people "we found out they had whooping cough, but it's been take care of, and though they still have a cough, they are no longer contagious." My husband and I took the antibiotics, too, at the same time as our children did, even though we didn't get sick, just in case. It felt pretty weird going to the pharmacy getting antibiotics for 6 people!

mamacat 07-10-2014 04:38 PM

I have always heard that abx is effective before the cough starts - when the runny nose and minor cold symptoms first begin?

flowermama 07-10-2014 04:43 PM

I'll pray he doesn't get pertussis. (((hugs))) :pray4

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamacat (Post 5799183)
I have always heard that abx is effective before the cough starts - when the runny nose and minor cold symptoms first begin?

Oh! That does sound familiar! I guess I was thinking of the other symptoms.... the ones that make you really know it's whooping cough. :think I should have looked it up before I posted.

I hate linking to the cdc site, but here's what they say: http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/about/d...treatment.html

Quote:

Pertussis is generally treated with antibiotics and early treatment is very important. Treatment may make your infection less severe if it is started early, before coughing fits begin. Treatment can also help prevent spreading the disease to close contacts (people who have spent a lot of time around the infected person). Treatment after three weeks of illness is unlikely to help because the bacteria are gone from your body, even though you usually will still have symptoms. This is because the bacteria have already done damage to your body.