Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   Hurricane Irma (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=523714)

greengirl19 09-05-2017 03:27 PM

Hurricane Irma

Have we started a thread yet? Any S. Fl mamas - are you getting ready?

We are potentially in the path, depending on if it swings east or west and will likely get 'something'. We're just outside of the evacuation zone for our area and will likely stay unless it is holding it's strength after landfall. We're as prepared as we can be. We went through a pretty much direct hit by a much weaker Matthew last year. Our biggest concern is a long term power outage, not the electricity so much as that our neighborhood water system does not have a backup generator so we'll be without running water. We have lots of water storage, but sanitation gets to be the main concern :yes But I know people in S Fl who are looking at much much worse potential conditions as the shear wind speeds of the storm are incredible :hunh

homesteadmama 09-05-2017 03:31 PM

Re: Hurricane Irma

We are in Charleston, SC, and I am prepared to evacuate or hunker down. We just moved here, so this whole hurricane thing is new to me. Feeling a little [emoji51].

greengirl19 09-05-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homesteadmama (Post 6105029)
We are in Charleston, SC, and I am prepared to evacuate or hunker down. We just moved here, so this whole hurricane thing is new to me. Feeling a little [emoji51].

I grew up hearing about it with family in Fl but ti's totally different living it as an adult. I can imagine it's really crazy if you're new to it! I have no concept of earthquakes, snowstorms or any significant cold weather or anything like that and they scare me. Our part of the coast isn't supposed to get storms but it looks like the odds are changing!

bananacake 09-05-2017 05:17 PM

I have a friend whose DD is going to school down there. They were able to book a flight to get her north. It sounds quite serious.

KarenBoo 09-05-2017 08:06 PM

We live in central FL, but we are on vacation in Colonial Williamsburg right now. We won't go back home until the storm has passed, (which means extending our vacation and that gets expensive because we are in a timeshare now. After that time is up, we have to find money for a hotel.) but I wish I had brought more of my valuable/difficult to replace things with me (hard drives, homeopathy, essential oils, my laser, etc.!) All small, all hard to replace!

But, it's crazy in central FL now with hurricane prep. All stores are out of water, and people are having trouble finding propane. All generators are sold out, and stuff like that is going on. People are trying to decide whether to stay or go. And really, you have to make a decision like that before you really know what's going to happen. Once you get about a day away, the roads jam up and there is no gas to be found.

Atsirk 09-05-2017 08:44 PM

Depending on how things look Thursday will determine if we evacuate. DH has to stay for work so if it looks like we'll need to evacuate I'll go before it's mandatory! I already made tentative plans to go to Atlanta.

mommychem 09-05-2017 08:53 PM

Praying for you all. I'm not directly in the path, but we are still being cautious as these things can change course at any time. DH works for a boat company along the Mississippi River. They are prepared to tie everything down when the course is better known. He may need to go into work on Sunday to make preparations. :pray4

knitlove 09-06-2017 03:32 AM

I have been watching Irma for almost a week. Praying.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mamacat 09-06-2017 05:29 AM

We are in Gville with 2 youngest kids and have a son in Jax and 2 married dds down in Polk county. One dd is evacing and going to AL.The other was going to evac today and head to a cousins in GA and pick me up alomg with our 2 YAs here but is not going to right now because of uncertainty of course of storm. Hoping she may still come here where winds wouldnt be as strong hopefully and not so low as where they are?

Pragmatist 09-06-2017 08:00 AM

My sister lives on the east coast of Florida and was hit by Matthew last year. She has a friend inland that they stayed with last year and will stay again this year. Might be more of a direct hit but better to be away from the ocean.

Singingmom 09-06-2017 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenBoo (Post 6105105)
We live in central FL, but we are on vacation in Colonial Williamsburg right now. We won't go back home until the storm has passed, (which means extending our vacation and that gets expensive because we are in a timeshare now. After that time is up, we have to find money for a hotel.) but I wish I had brought more of my valuable/difficult to replace things with me (hard drives, homeopathy, essential oils, my laser, etc.!) All small, all hard to replace!

But, it's crazy in central FL now with hurricane prep. All stores are out of water, and people are having trouble finding propane. All generators are sold out, and stuff like that is going on. People are trying to decide whether to stay or go. And really, you have to make a decision like that before you really know what's going to happen. Once you get about a day away, the roads jam up and there is no gas to be found.

You may want to reserve a hotel farther inland now since Williamsburg is only an hour from the coast. You could run into similar trouble in VA as people there prepare.

Atsirk 09-06-2017 12:12 PM

Looks like we'll be evacuating unless the models change drastically in the next 24 hours.

I really hope my parents decide to evacuate too.

We're under a state of emergency here. DH will be recalled to the fire department in the next couple of days. Hopefully they will cancel school on Friday. If not I'll be keeping E out of school anyways and we'll head to safety

mamacat 09-06-2017 01:31 PM

We were gong to hea north of Atlanta but now looks like GA could be affected to :(

KarenBoo 09-06-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Singingmom (Post 6105201)
You may want to reserve a hotel farther inland now since Williamsburg is only an hour from the coast. You could run into similar trouble in VA as people there prepare.

Yes, we won't be sticking around past Sunday. Our timeshare is paid up until then, and Sunday will be fine enough to leave here. We'll probably reserve another timeshare 2 hours inland from here. DH doesn't want to make that call until Friday though.

We went to Costco yesterday, and nobody is out buying water or anything yet up here. From my friends in FL, it's pretty chaotic!

homesteadmama 09-06-2017 03:59 PM

Here in Charleston, you can't find gas, water, even emergency type things are selling out or sold out. It looks likely that we will get hit by Irma. We are leaving this weekend if so.