Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   How easy/non prep is Oak Meadows? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=470725)

Thankfulforgrace 01-08-2013 06:47 PM

How easy/non prep is Oak Meadows?

I'm looking for 1st grade.... Thanks!

GraemesMomma 01-08-2013 07:38 PM

Re: How easy/non prep is Oak Meadows?

:popcorn
The K program is very accessible, but it's a good bit of reading for Mama. I've not seen the 1st grade syllabus, though.

inesperada 01-08-2013 08:23 PM

I tried it for 4th grade this year and ended up ditching it because it was way more prep than I wanted to do. Ymmv.

allisonintx 01-08-2013 08:40 PM

It's much more parent intensive in the lower grades than in the upper ones.

The good part is that if you buy their supply kit, you have every thing that you need to do any of the projects.

Non parent intensive lower grades tend to be those that are computer or workbook driven.

Thankfulforgrace 01-09-2013 07:30 AM

Ok, thanks. I want to be involved but I feel so scattered that a lot of prep isn't so good right now. Now I"ll have to figure out a way to go ;)

Sweet Life 01-09-2013 04:20 PM

In case you're looking for suggestions, I have really liked My Father's World - we did the first grade curriculum, Adventures, and Exploring Countries and Cultures (kids hit this in the third grade, and enter a 5 year cycle of study). Most weeks I get by with little to no prep; especially true until my oldest hit third grade and we hit their 5 year cycle.

Thankfulforgrace 01-14-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Life (Post 5070239)
In case you're looking for suggestions, I have really liked My Father's World - we did the first grade curriculum, Adventures, and Exploring Countries and Cultures (kids hit this in the third grade, and enter a 5 year cycle of study). Most weeks I get by with little to no prep; especially true until my oldest hit third grade and we hit their 5 year cycle.

I forgot to come back to this... S did MFW and it looked to work sheet-y for me. The easy is appealing though!

SweetCaroline 01-15-2013 06:14 AM

:cup

Pragmatist 01-15-2013 08:03 AM

You should do Sonlight with us. :). Use the IG as a guideline and jumping off place.

wisdomjourney 01-15-2013 08:24 AM

I use OM first grade. It is more intense than K imo, but I am so far sticking with it. I like the way it approaches learning for my dc, so I guess that's incentive. :) I have been getting more interested in MFW, but not enough to fully research it yet. :shrug3 Also, since I did K with OM, I have a lot of the supplies already, and I like the crafting and festivals. I'm not so into worksheets. So it works for us right now. :shrug3

Thankfulforgrace 01-15-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pragmatist (Post 5082220)
You should do Sonlight with us. :). Use the IG as a guideline and jumping off place.

I've thought about it:think. But I'd have to buy all the books too as I'm so over library trips, fees and the library not having the books!

But I :heart waldorf... I kinda feel like if I don't get to unschool b/c I'm not confident right now at least I could do that... IDK. Such a big (expensive) choice!

sprout 01-15-2013 08:33 PM

just following along.

Katydid 01-15-2013 08:52 PM

We did part of OM 1st grade, and while there were some things I loved about it, it ultimately wasn't a good fit for us. I tried to do it "open and go" and I was caught unprepared a few times as far as having certain supplies on hand, etc. So if I were to do it again, I would definitely try to read ahead for the week to get a feel for what is coming up. But that was mostly laziness on my part. :shifty I think it is actually fairly straightforward AFA prep work goes. :shrug

I wish I could afford to buy each grade's syllabus just for the science. I absolutely loved the science in 1st. :heart

Ms_Dahl 01-15-2013 09:06 PM

We are OM users (used OM1 last year and we are in OM2 this year). I find the prep work/time very manageable. I have all the required supplies needed for the curriculum. I make sure to quickly glance at the next couple of weeks to give me a head's up of what supplies I'll need, what books I'll need to check out from the library to supplement the weekly lessons, etc. It's literally a quick 5 minute look-see and I'm all set for the week. If I find that I'm not up to a particular science lesson that week because of a supply issue, I simply shift the lessons around. I find it to be a flexible and easy curriculum. One of the reasons why I like it is that all the guess work of planning is removed for me and yet we have an authentic, creative, loving and warm approach to learning at the touch of my hands....I don't have to think too hard to supply this to my son, I just have to sit along side and create it with him.

I think if you aren't used to a curriculum like OM, there is definitely a learning curve to get used to.

GraemesMomma 01-15-2013 09:31 PM

Ms. Dahl, any chance you could approximate how many/how much extra materials are involved? I have parts of OM K but I'm curious how much more involved/extra stuff there is in om1 :)