Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=601)
-   -   whats the history like in sonlight? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=422477)

mom2afew 09-06-2011 05:43 AM

whats the history like in sonlight?

I know i'm a little late in getting stuff for my kids, but i have some work books we'll use in the mean time till i find what i think will work for us.

I like that Sonlight has lesson plans and everything all set, and it sounds like good Christian stuff from what i've read. But the part i'm wondering about is that its american, and i don't know how much they focus on American history. it sounds like not to much and more of a world history approach which i like. So i'm just wondering for those that use it, how do you find it?

tigerlily 09-12-2011 01:19 PM

Re: whats the history like in sonlight?

Well, their history is literature based -- so you'll be reading literature about the time periods, people, and events instead of just dry text.

Are you concerned about American history b/c you're not American?

We've only started with core A, so I don't know much about the later cores -- Are you wanting to do an American history core this year? My understanding of Sonlight is that it is not entirely USA centric -- that there is an emphasis on native American cultures and South America as well.

If you concern is b/c you are outside the US, then you would probably want to substitute history of your country for the American history cores.

If I'm just adding to your confusion, hopefully this will bump for someone else to see and help you with better.

mom2afew 09-12-2011 05:51 PM

we're canadian, and we're just doing k this yr so its not such a big deal but i was curious about it. what you said helps, its nice to know its literature based!

We actually bought Rod and Staff's grade 1 program, it looked like it would cover a non reading kid and basiccly teach to read in a yr and it was sooooo much cheaper. i hope its worth it. lol

tigerlily 09-13-2011 04:00 PM

There are several Canadian homeschoolers on the Sonlight forums. I know there are options for the core D and E years that cover American history (not from Sonlight, but they sub their own stuff in).

AmyDoll 09-13-2011 06:55 PM

Core D & E (3rd and 4th grade) are American History books are about the pilgrims and the settlers in the americas - it starts out with Mexico and indigenous peoples (sp) It's very American focused - we read a lot about Boston & Virginia, all really good literature Newberry award winning books, classics but USA. This year we're starting out with the Gold Rush but our Geography Unit is starting in South America. I would think you could sub out books fairly easily and it wouldnt be an uncharted course.
Before that - for PK/K easy peasy - it's world history and the books are Usbourne books which have a very European feel imo. I wouldn't call those early years USA-centric at all. We did PK-4 last year and Im doing a K/1st mashup for my 5yo

RaisingRoyalty 06-08-2014 08:09 AM

We have used Sonlight all the way to high school level and I enjoy the variety in the cores - some focus on world history, others on American history, Eastern Hemisphere nations (a great core) and then the same again more indepth at high school level.

Whether you live in the USA or not, I would still do at least one year of American history. So many great books and movies are American and when you understand where they fit in, they make so much more sense.
Moreover, America is a political superpower today and when you understand their country's history, it helps you understand them as a nation.

(Are you beginning to tell that we don't live in the USA?)
Since I never studied America at school, I have enjoyed the American cores in Sonlight. Now I even know where most of the states are situated geographically (more or less!):)

Likewise, if you are American, its good to learn about other nations of the world and I think Sonlight does a pretty good job of that too.