Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=422)
-   -   The Writer's Jungle. Worth it? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=521981)

Soliloquy 02-04-2017 04:43 PM

The Writer's Jungle. Worth it?

I have the opportunity to purchase "The Writer's Jungle" for a good price from a friend. Do you think it's a useful book to have?

ViolaMum 02-05-2017 12:57 PM

Re: The Writer's Jungle. Worth it?

I think it really depends on what you're looking for.

It really is all about her philosophy, and less about specific lesson plans. If you need a Big Picture Map, the Writer's Jungle will give that to you. You get a road map of how writing develops, what to look for, and how to coach kids through each stage. She describes each writing stage and gives you an activity to do with your kids to help them develop in that particular stage, but you have to choose the day to day assignments. I found it wonderfully inspirational.

It's not so much a Writing Program that teaches specific forms (like the 5 paragraph essay) as how to get your kids to write and to become persuasive and compelling writers in their own unique voice all across the board - History, Literature analysis, Creative Writing, etc. (If you have an unschooling mindset, it's even more appealing.)

Soliloquy 02-05-2017 01:01 PM

Thank you. Hmm. I noticed it's really, really expensive to buy it new. I wonder why if it's just her philosophy of writing?

ViolaMum 02-05-2017 01:13 PM

It's huge.

Bravewriter has online classes and the first two classes are each one chapter of the book.

There ARE exercises. She takes the time to explain each one with all the Whys and Wherefores and you can modify each one to fit your kids. We've done some of them more than once. The Keen Observation exercise I did a couple of times with my oldest and am planning to do it again this week. It's a model for getting her to really think through a subject before she writes. If you need a day to day This is What to Write lesson plan book, that's what the other programs (like Partnership Writing) are all about.

Soliloquy 02-05-2017 03:30 PM

Thank you, that is helpful. I don't want a day to day plan, at least not now.

Soliloquy 02-16-2017 09:10 PM

I did buy it from her and have started to read it. I'm really glad I bought it. :)

AngelaVA 02-19-2017 12:15 PM

The Writer's Jungle. Worth it?

I think if you get a good price it's worth it, but a lot of the content can be gotten for free on her blog and it's more philosophical than practical. My preferred products from Brave Writer are the age specific ones: Jot It Down, Partnership Writing, the Wand, the Arrow etc.

Oh sorry just saw your update glad you are enjoying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 02-19-2017 03:49 PM

Yes, if someone has the time and a good laptop or tablet they probably don't need this. I only have my phone and if I had to piece it together from her blog it would never happen. I got it for $30. I don't know if I'd pay $90 for it but maybe after I implement it I'll think it's worth $90.

AngelaVA 02-19-2017 03:50 PM

Oh well done IMO It's well worth $30 especially considering you aren't able to fully access her blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tempus vernum 02-19-2017 07:13 PM

I'd love to hear more abt this. Extremely intrigued

Soliloquy 02-19-2017 09:26 PM

There are other threads on Brave Writer. I remember skimming them but not being in a place where we needed it.

www.bravewriter.com

ctab 01-21-2018 07:22 AM

Soliloquy,

Did you end up liking this book? Have you used any of her other products? I am looking at them for next school year.

Soliloquy 01-21-2018 01:53 PM

Yes, I have The Writer's Jungle. I started reading it but I put it down and haven't finished it. This is a good reminder to pick it up again.