Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   HELP! I need a Lego Solution (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529029)

ValiantJoy07 10-11-2020 07:33 AM

HELP! I need a Lego Solution

Ds1 (5) is Lego Obsessed. He pretty much plays with Lego from the moment he wakes up until the very last minute he goes to sleep at night.

A little about our situation:

A little about our house:

The problem:

I need some sort of way to section off a specific Lego place.
I could make a corner of the living room, dining room or office work. The master bedroom won't work because DH often works all night long and sleeps in and Ds1 never stops talking.:shifty I also need to have a space where I can escape from everyone. :giggle

I'm mostly looking for some sort of storage solution or way to zone this I have no idea where to start. I could spend a little bit of money or creating a space for him, it would need to be a SMALL space. I need a way to have a visual boundary that he sees and can contain the lego mess inside. I am tempted to buy a s sandbox lol.

If you read this far, bless you! Please help! :violin

Aerynne 10-11-2020 07:56 AM

Re: HELP! I need a Lego Solution

You have every right to create boundaries! I like a washing machine tray for legos. They can easily be pushed under a bed when not in use. They are about $20 at Home Depot. Cutting down, temporarily, on the LEGO collection may help, too.

amommy23 10-11-2020 08:18 AM

Do you have space anywhere to set up one of those little play tents for him to use?
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/FoxPlay-Rocke...ay+tent&sr=8-4

ValiantJoy07 10-11-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerynne (Post 6233771)
You have every right to create boundaries! I like a washing machine tray for legos. They can easily be pushed under a bed when not in use. They are about $20 at Home Depot. Cutting down, temporarily, on the LEGO collection may help, too.

Yup and that's why I made this post. we need to create a space so the boundaries can be enforced! :yes

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by amommy23 (Post 6233772)
Do you have space anywhere to set up one of those little play tents for him to use?
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/FoxPlay-Rocke...ay+tent&sr=8-4

That's a great idea! I think this could work well. He need his own little place to be. :yes

knitlove 10-11-2020 08:51 AM

How does he normally play with them?
At a table or on the floor?
Does he set them out infront of him or sit in the middle of them?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ValiantJoy07 10-11-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitlove (Post 6233777)
How does he normally play with them?
At a table or on the floor?
Does he set them out infront of him or sit in the middle of them?

He's kind of in the middle but he also likes to build scenes.:think I'm leaning towards getting 2 more Trofast drawers and adding them to the unit that we have and re-purposing it for Lego use. Also looking at this thing it would give a boundary and make cleanup really easy but wouldn't allow him to show off his scenes. :think

I looked at tents but I don't think we have enough space for one anywhere. :sigh I was also thinking about it and while having a cozy space would appeal to him he also needs to be able to see the TV. He really likes to watch those Prime Video stop motion Lego shows on the TV and builds along with them (he pauses every blessed step while he digs to find a matching piece).

knitlove 10-11-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 (Post 6233780)
He's kind of in the middle but he also likes to build scenes.:think I'm leaning towards getting 2 more Trofast drawers and adding them to the unit that we have and re-purposing it for Lego use. Also looking at this thing it would give a boundary and make cleanup really easy but wouldn't allow him to show off his scenes. :think

Yes that bucket - mat thing is very similar to what I was going to suggest if he likes to sit in the middle of them. There are some others that are more bag-like. I made a similar one for blocks when mine were little.

It sounds like you have a great plan to solve both the how to contain loose peices and him in process and the how to display the scenes for a while aftwards.

CelticJourney 10-11-2020 03:04 PM

Best I can think of is two small book cases, one corner. The book cases face into the corner and create the third and fourth wall for his 'boy cave' as well as a place to store the legos ?

ECingMama 10-11-2020 03:59 PM

If it’s just for 3 months, move where everyone sleeps?

All 3 girls in master plus homeschool stuff.

Room for hubby. And you. ;) hubby desk.

Room for Boys.

Playroom.

Or some other combo.

marbles 10-11-2020 06:45 PM

I was also going to suggest Target cube bookshelves to create a corner for him. You can have some cubes open for display and some cubes with boxes.

ECingMama 10-11-2020 07:42 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E9...SSB&th=1&psc=1

rjy9343 10-12-2020 09:05 PM

I had a similar issue with my son's love of legos and the way they take over the house. I bought a long flat rectangular storage box and told him to build in that box. I gave him another smaller box for the legos he needs to get out of his way so that he has room to build without taking them out of the box. He does a decent job of keeping his creations in or right beside the box as long as I remind him. He's also good with putting them into the box after he builds them as long as no one takes them apart.

ValiantJoy07 10-13-2020 07:17 AM

Quote:

Room for Boys.

Playroom.

Or some other combo.
No I don't think so the boys need to be in with us and the other bedrooms wouldn't even fit our king sized beds, they are TINY. Ds1 has a full sized mattress so we can sleep with him (or ds2 can sleep with him) and it won't fit in any of the other bedrooms either. If the other bedrooms were just a tiny bit bigger it would definitely be a good idea to consider. :yes

Quote:

Best I can think of is two small book cases, one corner. The book cases face into the corner and create the third and fourth wall for his 'boy cave' as well as a place to store the legos ?
That's a great idea! I do have 2 small book shelves that are kind of in random spots/not happy about where they are. I wonder if I could move his computer desk out of the office and rig up a Lego Corner for him. :think

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Quote:

Room for Boys.

Playroom.

Or some other combo.
No I don't think so the boys need to be in with us and the other bedrooms wouldn't even fit our king sized beds, they are TINY. Ds1 has a full sized mattress so we can sleep with him (or ds2 can sleep with him) and it won't fit in any of the other bedrooms either. If the other bedrooms were just a tiny bit bigger it would definitely be a good idea to consider. :yes

Quote:

I was also going to suggest Target cube bookshelves to create a corner for him. You can have some cubes open for display and some cubes with boxes.
Quote:

That's a great idea! I do have 2 small book shelves that are kind of in random spots/not happy about where they are. I wonder if I could move his computer desk out of the office and rig up a Lego Corner for him. :think