Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   I know you guys love the berkey...but (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=353447)

iheartsam 04-04-2010 09:42 PM

I know you guys love the berkey...but

it doesn't eliminate flouride. :think Our city's water is flouridated and I want it out. :yes So, if you have a berkey AND your water is flouridated, what do you do? Or, why would you still choose it if you had flouridated water? I was actually interested in a whole house water filter but the guy I talked to (local filter store) said whole house filters don't eliminate it either, because the water has to go through so quickly. :shrug3 Any thoughts? Suggestions? TIA!

Heather Micaela 04-04-2010 09:44 PM

Re: I know you guys love the berkey...but

:popcorn This is one reason why we still use bottled.

Herbwifemama 04-04-2010 09:44 PM

Get a fluoride filter for it: http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkeypf2.htm

Actually, that's one of the main reasons I want a berkey- because it's one of the only water filters I've found that DOES filter out fluoride.

NovelMama 04-04-2010 09:58 PM

Yes, you have to buy a separate set of filters, so your water is getting filtered twice. That's the whole reason we bought a Berkey, because our city back in CA was increasing the fluoride they added to the water. They're sort of expensive, but worth it.

iheartsam 04-05-2010 06:23 AM

I guess I got misinformation from the local guy who doesn't sell them. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by that! :giggle I will go directly to the site and check it out. So, if you do love your berkey, why? AND if you got a berkey and DON'T love it, why? One of my concerns is the fact that it takes up counter space. What has been your feeling about the size and space issue?

Sweet Life 04-05-2010 06:37 AM

I like it because it does an excellent job of filtering water with the black carbon filters, it's gravity fed, doesn't require hookup to power or water pressure. i.e. it works just as well in my kitchen now as it would during a power outage or if we took it camping with us :shrug3

We don't have a lot of counter space :no and we have a Royal Berkey (relatively large one). It really doesn't take up that much room. I keep it right next to the sink so it's easy to fill. My only complaint is that my kids are drinking *way* more water now and I am the only one that remembers to fill it up. ;) We are working on adding it to our chore list so my helpers can fill it too. We fill it twice a day (and it's really not a big deal, just annoying when it is empty :yes)

Here is a helpful FAQ.

And FWIW we purchased ours from James Filter and they were awesome. :tu

NovelMama 04-05-2010 06:54 AM

WE LOVE ours. We bought a stand that has a shelf beneath it so you can store things under there--makes up a little bit for the size of its footprint. ITA with Sweet Life--we drink way more water now because it tastes SO good, but then you've got to remember to fill it! We keep a big plastic pitcher handy next to it to fill it with, since I can't lift it back onto its stand when it's filled at the sink. (Though DH can.)

Thanks for the filter link, Sweet Life!

hopeforchange 04-05-2010 07:04 AM

i need a filter. we are currently buying the filtered water from walmart, and while it's only 37 cents a gallon, i'm sure it's cheaper to have your own filter, plus it's easier.

i've been considering dr. mercola's filter. i didn't realize there was a fluoride filter for the berkey.

the berkey would be easy in an apartment too, right? b/c you can move it from one place to the other with you?

Havilah 04-05-2010 07:07 AM

Wow. I didn't realize they were so expensive. :(

Sweet Life 04-05-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeforchange (Post 3002306)
the berkey would be easy in an apartment too, right? b/c you can move it from one place to the other with you?

:yes

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Havilah (Post 3002314)
Wow. I didn't realize they were so expensive. :(

The berkeys?

The initial investment probably seems steep if you are comparing to a filter like the PUR water pitchers.

But here's the deal ... add up the cost of the PUR filters you use over a year and compare it to the cost of a travel berkey (about $200) and you'll see that there is not that much of a difference in cost. For a much better filter. And a great stainless steel system that goes with it. :shrug3

If you can front the money it's well worth it. :yes

Auroras mom 04-05-2010 08:57 AM

So it does have filter available that remove fluoride? I thought only reverse osmosis systems could do that? I may have to get one,if this is truly the case.

Sweet Life 04-05-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auroras mom (Post 3002583)
So it does have filter available that remove fluoride? I thought only reverse osmosis systems could do that? I may have to get one,if this is truly the case.

:yes

flouride filters
2nd ones down

schmamy 04-05-2010 03:29 PM

:popcorn