Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=438)
-   -   Chia seed (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=448540)

WanderingJuniper 05-10-2012 06:49 AM

Re: Chia seed

Thought of this thread last night at the store. They had a display of mamachia drinks.

Dovenoir 05-10-2012 07:24 AM

:poke so what other mixin's would you do with chia pudding?

(cocoa sounds amazing but not sure I should give it to ds)

WanderingJuniper 05-10-2012 07:35 AM

Ones i have tried and liked:
Vanilla and purred berries and a touch of honey
Banana and peanut butter
Orange creamsicle - OJ touch of vanilla and coconut milk

Fwiw, I can't get any of my kids to eat the pudding. It's a texture thing for them.

jenn3514 05-10-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper (Post 4622296)
Ones i have tried and liked:
Vanilla and purred berries and a touch of honey
Banana and peanut butter
Orange creamsicle - OJ touch of vanilla and coconut milk

Fwiw, I can't get any of my kids to eat the pudding. It's a texture thing for them.

I haven't tried these yet but am going to purchase them soon. Could you run them threw a blender? Would they still absorb the liquid? I have a texture sensitive child also, so I'm wondering if that would work?

cbmk4 05-10-2012 05:05 PM

My chocolate chia pudding is now in the fridge! I made it from cocoa, almond-coconut milk and chia seeds. I thought about using the dark chocolate almond milk (Silk) but maybe that will be the next batch. The kids are excited to try it and so am I!

HuggaBuggaMommy 05-10-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper (Post 4622296)

That's what I think when I look at it...that it looks like

and I just can't bring myself to try it.

I have a jar of chia seeds. I use them for many things. But please, someone tell me, the pudding tastes better than it looks.

cbmk4 05-11-2012 06:33 AM

The verdict is out: mom like the chia pudding, the girls liked the taste but didn't care for the "fish egg" texture.

Since I love, love tapioca and bubble tea, it is no surprise to me that I liked the chia pudding. Can't wait to try a different flavor.

WanderingJuniper 05-11-2012 07:21 AM

I've been wondering if I could put the seeds through a grinder to make it smoother too but that would involve buying a separate grinder. My coffee grinder is firmly committed to only grinding coffee. :shifty

If you try grinding the seeds let me know how it turns out. :yes

It does not look appealing :no But if you like tapioca pudding or even rice pudding its not a big jump.

jenn3514 05-11-2012 07:51 AM

I just ordered the seeds so I will be trying it sometime next week. I'll let you know how it turns out. I also ordered a grinder for seeds and stuff because my coffee grinder is inside my coffee machine lol.

cbmk4 05-11-2012 09:30 AM

I wonder if the seeds are too tiny for a coffee grinder. I might try my mortar and pestle instead. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cherish 05-11-2012 12:54 PM

I've seen recently where people were making bubble tea using chia seeds rather than the higher calorie tapioca pearls. Has anyone tried doing that?

cbmk4 05-11-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherish (Post 4625097)
I've seen recently where people were making bubble tea using chia seeds rather than the higher calorie tapioca pearls. Has anyone tried doing that?

It might be ok, but even though my chia seeds were soaking in the pudding mixture for about 36 hours, they still had a bit of crunch in the center.

I really like the big pearl tapioca and wouldn't want to give that up. Chia seeds aren't exactly low in calories, but they do provide some good nutrition in the way of omega 3's and fiber.

cbmk4 05-12-2012 09:33 AM

Another use for chia seeds: egg replacer in my baked oatmeal. I had all the ingredients out and realized I was out of eggs. I put the seeds in some boiling water (same volume as two eggs) and after a short soak, stirred the gel slurry into the oatmeal mixture. I think it worked!

WanderingJuniper 05-12-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbmk4 (Post 4624733)
I wonder if the seeds are too tiny for a coffee grinder. I might try my mortar and pestle instead. I'll let you know how it goes.

:doh I didn't even think about my mortar and pestle. :rockon Thanks for the idea. :yes

HuggaBuggaMommy 05-12-2012 12:59 PM

Well, we tried it. Ds said he likes tapioca (he had it at a friend's house) so I made a small amount of chia pudding. No one here was a fan. :shifty