Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=438)
-   -   Chia seed (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=448540)

ShangriLewis 05-08-2012 03:24 PM

Chia seed

Anyone using chia seed? My store finally had some. There is a lemon cake recipe on the bag. I think I am going to pick up stuff for that next trip.

I am have been making chia pudding with vanilla hemp milk. It looks like ugly tapioca:giggle. I like it and my little kids will eat it.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Here is the bread recipe http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes.php?recipe=1773

cbmk4 05-08-2012 05:22 PM

Re: Chia seed

Subbing for more ideas.

I recently got some and use them in smoothies.

ShangriLewis 05-08-2012 05:43 PM

I was thinking of making something like this http://www.mammachia.com/. I saw it on a YouTube video yesterday.

mommylove 05-08-2012 06:01 PM

LOVE Chia seeds. :heart

thrillofhope 05-08-2012 06:44 PM

I've just been adding them to smoothies. How did you do the pudding? Just the milk and chia?

ShangriLewis 05-08-2012 10:31 PM

Yes just seeds in a mason jar and cover with milk. Seems like there are a lot of ratios. Just make sure you let it sit and stir it or shake it a few times or it can clump. It is super filling. Love it! They expand more than I thought.

ArmsOfLove 05-08-2012 10:48 PM

I made the chia pudding the other day and it was pretty yummy. I tried carob and I'm going to do cocoa next time. It needs some sweetener for sure. :think

sent the link for the lemon bread to dh :yum

Atarah 05-08-2012 10:52 PM

three words: homemade chia pets

:duck :hiding
Posted via Mobile Device

ShangriLewis 05-08-2012 11:12 PM

I sing it when I eat my pudding:giggle

teamommy 05-09-2012 09:30 AM

Smoothies. We sprinkle them on oatmeal or on pb toast for breakfast. I have not tried baking with them but I know you can substitute them for some of the flour; I think the ratio is 2/3 c. : 1 c. flour.

I love them because they are so filling.

WanderingJuniper 05-09-2012 09:42 AM

:yum
Ways I use chia:
-pudding - I have tried a few. choc. pb. coconut milk is my favorite.
-smoothies
-part of my hot cereal (oats, ground nuts, dried fruit & chia)
-Endurance sports drink or just as an addition to lemon water when I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to eat regularly while I am out.
-in baked oatmeal breakfast bars
I have to get more. I only have enough left for my sports drink and I am really craving some pudding. :yum

cbmk4 05-09-2012 10:38 AM

Wanderinjuniper, can you give us a recipe for your pudding?

flowermama 05-09-2012 10:46 AM

I just started using them recently! :) I like the ideas shared so far!

They are good as an egg replacer in baked goods. I've been putting the equivalent of two "eggs" in my recipes -- one tablespoon of chia seeds and 3 tablespoons of water for each one. . . . I've put them in cookies and muffins so far. I like them sprinkled on my salad.

I showed my kids the Chia Pet ad on youtube the other day because my little boy couldn't figure out why I was singing "ch-ch-ch chia!" :giggle

WanderingJuniper 05-09-2012 10:47 AM

Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Puding:
In a pint mason jar -
roughly 1/4 cup chia seeds
1 cup milk of choice - I preffer coconut milk for my pudding
1 TBSP of cocoa powder
1TBSP nut butter of choice - I like PB.
Shake it up and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Stir before serving.

I have found the longer I let it sit in the fridge the more I like it. :yes The Peanut butter needs to be melted down a bit if you want it to mix well throughout. I don't bother melting it but I also don't mind if the pb isn't mixed throughout.

thrillofhope 05-09-2012 04:02 PM

That looks so delicious!

WanderingJuniper 05-10-2012 06:49 AM

Thought of this thread last night at the store. They had a display of mamachia drinks.

Dovenoir 05-10-2012 07:24 AM

:poke so what other mixin's would you do with chia pudding?

(cocoa sounds amazing but not sure I should give it to ds)

WanderingJuniper 05-10-2012 07:35 AM

Ones i have tried and liked:
Vanilla and purred berries and a touch of honey
Banana and peanut butter
Orange creamsicle - OJ touch of vanilla and coconut milk

Fwiw, I can't get any of my kids to eat the pudding. It's a texture thing for them.

jenn3514 05-10-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper (Post 4622296)
Ones i have tried and liked:
Vanilla and purred berries and a touch of honey
Banana and peanut butter
Orange creamsicle - OJ touch of vanilla and coconut milk

Fwiw, I can't get any of my kids to eat the pudding. It's a texture thing for them.

I haven't tried these yet but am going to purchase them soon. Could you run them threw a blender? Would they still absorb the liquid? I have a texture sensitive child also, so I'm wondering if that would work?

cbmk4 05-10-2012 05:05 PM

My chocolate chia pudding is now in the fridge! I made it from cocoa, almond-coconut milk and chia seeds. I thought about using the dark chocolate almond milk (Silk) but maybe that will be the next batch. The kids are excited to try it and so am I!

HuggaBuggaMommy 05-10-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderingJuniper (Post 4622296)

That's what I think when I look at it...that it looks like

and I just can't bring myself to try it.

I have a jar of chia seeds. I use them for many things. But please, someone tell me, the pudding tastes better than it looks.

cbmk4 05-11-2012 06:33 AM

The verdict is out: mom like the chia pudding, the girls liked the taste but didn't care for the "fish egg" texture.

Since I love, love tapioca and bubble tea, it is no surprise to me that I liked the chia pudding. Can't wait to try a different flavor.

WanderingJuniper 05-11-2012 07:21 AM

I've been wondering if I could put the seeds through a grinder to make it smoother too but that would involve buying a separate grinder. My coffee grinder is firmly committed to only grinding coffee. :shifty

If you try grinding the seeds let me know how it turns out. :yes

It does not look appealing :no But if you like tapioca pudding or even rice pudding its not a big jump.

jenn3514 05-11-2012 07:51 AM

I just ordered the seeds so I will be trying it sometime next week. I'll let you know how it turns out. I also ordered a grinder for seeds and stuff because my coffee grinder is inside my coffee machine lol.

cbmk4 05-11-2012 09:30 AM

I wonder if the seeds are too tiny for a coffee grinder. I might try my mortar and pestle instead. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cherish 05-11-2012 12:54 PM

I've seen recently where people were making bubble tea using chia seeds rather than the higher calorie tapioca pearls. Has anyone tried doing that?

cbmk4 05-11-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherish (Post 4625097)
I've seen recently where people were making bubble tea using chia seeds rather than the higher calorie tapioca pearls. Has anyone tried doing that?

It might be ok, but even though my chia seeds were soaking in the pudding mixture for about 36 hours, they still had a bit of crunch in the center.

I really like the big pearl tapioca and wouldn't want to give that up. Chia seeds aren't exactly low in calories, but they do provide some good nutrition in the way of omega 3's and fiber.

cbmk4 05-12-2012 09:33 AM

Another use for chia seeds: egg replacer in my baked oatmeal. I had all the ingredients out and realized I was out of eggs. I put the seeds in some boiling water (same volume as two eggs) and after a short soak, stirred the gel slurry into the oatmeal mixture. I think it worked!

WanderingJuniper 05-12-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbmk4 (Post 4624733)
I wonder if the seeds are too tiny for a coffee grinder. I might try my mortar and pestle instead. I'll let you know how it goes.

:doh I didn't even think about my mortar and pestle. :rockon Thanks for the idea. :yes

HuggaBuggaMommy 05-12-2012 12:59 PM

Well, we tried it. Ds said he likes tapioca (he had it at a friend's house) so I made a small amount of chia pudding. No one here was a fan. :shifty

Cherish 05-15-2012 07:24 PM

I made the pudding, and loved it!
I did use dark chocolate almond milk, and I left out any nut butter. I also used stevia to sweeten it. I am going to play with the flavors and try a mango coconut version.

ShangriLewis 05-15-2012 07:26 PM

Mango coconut would be so good. With big chunks of coconut, too:think

Cherish 05-15-2012 07:35 PM

I hacked off the top of a fresh young coconut just today... I'm planning to use the coconut water as the liquid and chunks of the fresh coconut meat and mango to go in....I'm hoping I can wait the whole amount of time for this pudding to set up! ;)

ShangriLewis 05-15-2012 07:36 PM

Yummy

SubarbanHippie 06-18-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dovenoir (Post 4622267)
:poke so what other mixin's would you do with chia pudding?

(cocoa sounds amazing but not sure I should give it to ds)

If you have a craving for something savory you can mix water and chia seeds and throw in some spices (I like garlic and cumin) and either tamari or sea salt. Since chia seeds take on the flavors of whatever you put in them, you can pretty much add anything to them. :yes They're really cool.