Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Gardening *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=431)
-   -   Will my rosemary come back? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=495157)

Psyche 12-15-2013 08:23 PM

Will my rosemary come back?

I've never grown it before so I'm not sure. It's mostly protected (covers planter built into the porch) but some sleet which turned to packed ice got on it last week for about five days.

It doesn't look pretty. :(

I water it today to see if that would help. I had hopes it would spread in the years to come. I read somewhere that it is a sensitive plant but I was under the impression that it was fairly hardy.

Does it die back in the winter? Will it come back or is it likely gone for good ? If it comes back, will it spread?

cbmk4 12-16-2013 05:37 AM

Re: Will my rosemary come back?

Mine has survived through a winter before (snow and ice laden), but it is much tougher and woodier the next year.

doubleblessings 12-16-2013 07:25 AM

Ours comes back. I would guess yours would as well. Not sure about places up north with long hard freezes.

GraemesMomma 12-16-2013 08:03 AM

Mine came back last year and it looked horrible - totally dead, actually, to my un-trained eyes :giggle It became the biggest rosemary bush I've ever seen. And now we had a freeze the first week of November (unheard of - we live in coastal NC!!) and it looks awful again :impouting All that to say, rosemary is super hardy, so I bet it will come back for you :)

Blue Savannah 12-16-2013 10:05 AM

I am in a long hard freeze zone, and it doesn't come back for me. But it was 20 degrees this morning, so I fed the chickens wearing a tshirt. :giggle

Even around here, it sometimes comes back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk HD

canadiyank 12-16-2013 10:09 AM

It depends on the variety. "Arp" is a variety that is particularly cold-tolerant but I think in your area pretty much everything would make it (if you're still where your avi says). I whack them back in the spring or it becomes quite a tree.

believer 12-27-2013 10:02 AM

:shrug3 Ours got covered in ice and still looks fine. I have no idea what "variety" it is though. I guess you just have to wait and see what happens to it.

Delaney 12-27-2013 10:05 AM

I think rosemary is a perennial. It should come back.

ForHim 12-31-2013 09:27 AM

Ok I live in a hot climate, but rosemary is one hardy herb. Cut them back A LOT when they are not flowering and you will prevent them from becoming woody and tough. Oh and just with our rosemary, we never water it. They don't seem to like wet feet.

RoseOfGrace 01-08-2014 10:22 AM

I've grown rosemary and other herbs for a while now (maybe 7 or 8 years? I forget). I first bought it from a local park that has an annual herb/flower sale each May, so I knew it was raised/grown locally and was likely to work well in my area (central Ohio). It does go dormant in the winter, but usually comes back just fine in the spring. It is good to cut it back a bit in the spring. Rosemary does get woody - that is normal. When using it fresh, you can cut of the freshest sprigs or use older woody pieces but then slide your hands along the stem to pull off the leaves for use in your recipe. I hope that helps!