Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=421)
-   -   Gangbangers and Gluesticks (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=213719)

bliss 07-30-2007 09:39 AM

Gangbangers and Gluesticks

I had a facinating conversation this weekend, that I thought might interest y'all.
Unfortunately, we live down the street from a gang hangout. Saturday, I was playing in the front yard with Turkey, and a group of guys were having a loud discussion in front of the gang house. I was tuning them out for the most part, when I heard the phrase, "gluestick trick". Well, for the millionth time in my life, curiosity killed the cat, and I boxed up my courage and walked across the street. "Hi!" says the little white housewife. "Hey!" say the thugs. :giggle "Hey, can I ask you guys a question?" "Um, sure?" "I heard you talking about a 'gluestick trick' - what do you mean by that?" They all look at each other, hem and haw a little, then one says, "Well, you wanna *mess* somebody up pretty bad, you hit them with your fist, they go to the cops, they're all bruised up, right? You take a gluestick, like for a glue gun, you use that, it *messes* your boy up right, but there's not a mark on them! It's like magic or something, they don't leave a single bruise, but it hurts like a [non-repeatable] and it can tear into the muscle and *stuff*." Another guy at this point asks me why I want to know, "Your man getting rough on you or something?" and laughs - I said no, I knew of people that spanked their kids with them, and that whole group of nine or ten hard-core tattooed thugs who had been laughing and talking while this was going on, went dead silent. I got a whole round of these: :hunh and finally one said, "If my baby's mama ever took a glue stick to him, she would never see him again. That is *messed* up."

Pretty interesting? Perhaps we should enlighten the "glue-stick spankers" that they are using a gang form of abuse and torture - wouldn't that be "conforming to the world"? Interesting that even these boys see something inherently wrong in hitting a child with one.

Aisling 07-30-2007 09:43 AM

Re: Gangbangers and Gluesticks

Wow, bliss!! :jawdrop :think :/ :cry I'm going to file that story away. Interesting how you can find wisdom and gentleness in the most unlikely places, isn't it?

LadybugSam 07-30-2007 09:43 AM

wow

Nightingale 07-30-2007 09:44 AM

wow...just wow :jawdrop

allisonintx 07-30-2007 09:47 AM

:jawdrop

hey mommy 07-30-2007 09:49 AM

Wow......

RubySlippers 07-30-2007 10:15 AM

:jawdrop another wow! :bheart

poleidopy 07-30-2007 10:22 AM

:jawdrop Wow.

Jenny 07-30-2007 10:23 AM

Blue Aurora 07-30-2007 10:23 AM

Oh my.... :jawdrop ....all those poor babies...

ReedleBeetle 07-30-2007 10:26 AM

I would like to say something different, just for the sake of being a little different....but all i can think of is....

W.O.W :jawdrop

Dana Joy 07-30-2007 10:39 AM

bliss have i ever told you that i think you are the coolest little white housewife in the world :heart

i wonder if the thugs learned from the pearls or vice versa? :think

so sad!!!

bliss 07-30-2007 11:36 AM

awww.....thanks :heart
I wondered the same thing. :yes2

Eowyn 07-30-2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Piadosa
bliss have i ever told you that i think you are the coolest little white housewife in the world :heart

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...e/yeahthat.gif

And yeah---wow. :jawdrop

happyhousewife 07-30-2007 11:50 AM

wow... you are brave!! Who on earth would spank their kids with a glue stick of all things????? :cry

MarynMunchkins 07-30-2007 11:52 AM

Wisdom from unlikely sources...:giggle

Cheyenne 07-30-2007 11:56 AM

:cry

HomeWithMyBabies 07-30-2007 11:58 AM

A wow from me, too. :jawdrop

Wonder Woman 07-30-2007 12:00 PM

:hunh :jawdrop

Ali 07-30-2007 12:04 PM

That is really...wow... I am filing that story away and the one earlier from Atarah about the similarities she found in the book "Creative Correction" to the phychological torture methods used by POW camps in her POW training.
I just can't believe that of all people, it's CHRISTIANS who do these things. :scratchI just don't get it...

happyhousewife 07-30-2007 02:53 PM

I'm sorry I have never heard of anyone spanking children with glue sticks. Where did you hear that Christians do it???

Aisling 07-30-2007 02:55 PM

i know a few... :nak2 :(

Wonder Woman 07-30-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhousewife
I'm sorry I have never heard of anyone spanking children with glue sticks. Where did you hear that Christians do it???

It's a relatively common thing among ezzo and pearl followers :(

Mother of Sons 07-30-2007 02:58 PM

Remnant Fellowship also. Wasn't that how the one child died?

hey mommy 07-30-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyhousewife

I had never heard of it until I came here... i'd never heard of The Tripps or Pearls before coming here either though...

happyhousewife 07-30-2007 03:04 PM

That is just insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I am blessed that I know hardly anything aboutTripps, Pearl and Ezzo. I did read the babywise book once but it didnt make any sense to me. :shrug It all just felt wrong.
That makes me :bheart for those children.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons
Remnant Fellowship also. Wasn't that how the one child died?

:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

lavendermama 07-30-2007 04:16 PM

Wow you have guts to go across the street and ask! But I am wondering- how do you spank a kid with a 4inch piece of gluestick? I must not be imagining it correctly.

NoodleMom 07-30-2007 04:20 PM

People actually use a glue stick to hit their kids?

Dana Joy 07-30-2007 04:22 PM

the craft gluesticks that you use for a glue gun- they are about 10 inches long :cry
they are touted by several pro spankers as the best way to spank without leaving marks.

kazoo 07-30-2007 04:24 PM

that's crazy... reminds me of the verse, something about God using the "foolish" of the world (in this case, the gang) to confound the "wise." :hunh

Wonder Woman 07-30-2007 04:28 PM

from surfing blogs...

Quote:

A child must learn quickly there are consequences to disobedience. A sting on the hand reaching for a knife is one of those consequences quickly learned. I made a little switch out of a glue stick cut long ways into quarters. One glue stick can yield 4, foot long switches when cut properly with a razor or box cutter. The little sticks are flexible, don't leave any marks, and provide just the right amount of sting to get a reaction from the child.
from E. Pantley:
Quote:

One parent complained that her 2-year-old remained disobedient despite "the constant stream of welts on her bottom from the glue stick."
Technically, Ezzo moms suggest glue sticks, and Pearl moms suggest plumbing pipes. :/

Katigre 07-30-2007 04:35 PM

The glue sticks are flexible, so you kind of use it like a rubberband, i think. Holding one end in your hand and pulling the other end back in an arc and then letting go so it 'flicks' and stings when it hits the child's skin. It's not the same hitting action as a wooden spoon. And i know people who do Ezzo who use them :(.

ETA: By 'gluestick' we mean the long, thin, milky white ones you put in hot glue guns and buy at craft stores. Not the short Elmer's Glue sticks kids use smear glue on construction paper.

Katherine 07-30-2007 04:38 PM

the people I know who use them don't flick.. they hit with them. :cry

Katydid 07-30-2007 04:48 PM

Add me to the "wow" crowd.... :hunh :no2

Carrie in PA 07-30-2007 04:55 PM

Well, here's another WOW! Bliss, I'm so glad you had the courage to ask them.

If the "biblical spankers" really want to be bliblical, then what's with the glue stick? I believe those were invented in the 20th century and would not be confused with a rod. :shrug :mad

scottishthistle 07-30-2007 05:19 PM

never knew that, though I thought the "gangbang" part was going to be about something else :jawdrop. I don't get how anyone could do that to a child

Synesthesia 07-30-2007 05:36 PM

I don't either...
I'm speechless.

Ali 07-30-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

I have only every heard the use of glue sticks or plumbing line or those little leather strap "spankers" in Christian circles. And every time one is mentioned, it's pointed out how it doesn't leave a mark and that's the reason for using that particular item. I have personally never heard those things discussed by non-Christians (not that non-Christians don't use them, just that Christians are really the only people *I* ever hear discuss spanking in depth - how to do it, with what, for what offenses, not in public, etc).

HuggaBuggaMommy 07-31-2007 06:18 AM

Just adding my own *wow* :no2

ReedleBeetle 07-31-2007 07:24 AM

I, in shock, had told a friend about this....she said, "Hmmmmm, I don't see how that is much different than a switch. "B" (her teenage daughter), her school is allowed to spank her. If they need to spank her, they will call me at home and either they can do it, or I can come in and do it." I said, "What if you don't agree with the spanking?" She said, "I got spanked at school and it never hurt me. I got spanked one time for singing a country song at school (Christian school)." I said, "Even IF I spanked, it would NEVER be ok for the school to spank my kid and it would NEVER, EVER, EVER be ok for them to spank for singing a country song!!!! Just tell them to stop!" She said, "Oh, if they hadn't spanked me I would have just done it again. I would have said, "No biggie, they will just tell me to stop again. The boys at our school used to do things on purpose to get spanked because our principal was a young woman about 22-23 yrs old and she is the one that spanked us, so they would do stuff just to get her to spank them." the school never caught on to what the boys were doing, because they were just spanking "as the Bible says" and not paying attention to what was REALLY going on. Nice, huh? :sick