Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   kombucha 101 thread! (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=423094)

Stiina 09-20-2012 12:22 PM

Re: kombucha 101 thread!

does he like to eat them or just the idea? I bet they are soooooooooooooo good for you!! I'd totally encourage it. :giggle

shekinah 09-20-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newday (Post 4862919)

my son thinks the baby scobys are candy or something, he always wants to eat them :shiver

They are like gummy worms to me!!

HadassahSukkot 09-20-2012 01:35 PM

I dried some I had (I keep a backup now) in the oven one day and gave the kids one each - they were kind of like candy. I don't think I could stand giving them to them as is. That just really makes my tummy feel upside down thinking about it. :paranoid

dakotablue 09-20-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot (Post 4863252)
I dried some I had (I keep a backup now) in the oven one day and gave the kids one each - they were kind of like candy. I don't think I could stand giving them to them as is. That just really makes my tummy feel upside down thinking about it. :paranoid

How did you dry them? (like temp and stuff)?

Curious for when we eventual getting going here.

newday 09-20-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shekinah (Post 4863247)
They are like gummy worms to me!!

that is exactly what he says! :lol

HadassahSukkot 09-20-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotablue (Post 4863324)
How did you dry them? (like temp and stuff)?

Curious for when we eventual getting going here.

I put the oven on something between 60-80°C and propped the door open and kept checking on them until they looked like really thin peanut brittle. :shrug3 Then I cooled them when I was certain they were no longer gummy, and sniffled at it, broke a piece off to try, and offered it to the kids who gobbled it down thinking it was candy. :giggle :shifty

JenLovie 09-21-2012 05:10 AM

I think I need to buy a 2nd container to start a second brew since I'm wanting to drink more than 1 bottle a day. I also think I need to get some pH strips to check my brew (where? Drug store?). I :heart KT.

solatido 09-21-2012 06:24 AM

So... how thick does the scoby have to be??? :pacing I wanna start brewing!

Oh, I saved some plain bucha from the bottle I got to grow a scoby and shared it with DH. He likes it as much as beer! He wants to start brewing on a large scale :giggle

But doesn't it have to be refrigerated after a few days of secondary fermentation? I am thinking we would do better to have 3-4 batches going, all started a week apart (after I am done giving away babies for a while).

dakotablue 09-21-2012 07:28 AM

How much alcohol is in Kombucha?

I mentioned it to my MW and she said something about not being able to recommend it because of FAS. :scratch

HadassahSukkot 09-21-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Q. Does finished kombucha contain alcohol?
A. Yes, as with all cultured and fermented foods, a small amount of naturally occurring alcohol is typically present in the finished product. Although the amount will vary from batch to batch, the amount should be quite small (usually about 0.5%). There have been reports of alcohol levels exceeding this range in cases where the kombucha has been mixed with fruit juice for flavoring, bottled and allowed to sit for excessive periods of time.
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/kom...-questions-faq

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Quote:

The recent voluntary recall has sparked concern over Kombucha’s alcohol levels. When you brew at home, primary fermentation (pre-flavors) alcohol content will likely be less than .5%. Should you decide to add flavors, that level could elevate due to the naturally occurring sugars reactivating the yeast. To test your ABV – alcohol by volume – you can purchase a hydrometer at your local brewing supply store.
http://www.kombuchakamp.com/basic-kombucha-faq

---------- Post added at 06:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

Quote:

Are kombucha alcohol beverages? A. TTB’s initial testing of kombucha in the marketplace reveals that many of these products contain at least 0.5 percent alcohol by volume. These products are alcohol beverages and are consequently subject to regulation. Some kombucha contain less than 0.5 percent alcohol by volume and may continue to be marketed as non-alcoholic beverages.
It is important to note that regardless of the alcohol content of the finished beverage, when kombucha contains 0.5 percent alcohol or more by volume at any time, it must be produced on qualified premises subject to TTB regulation.
http://www.ttb.gov/faqs/kombucha-faqs.shtml

Stiina 09-28-2012 08:11 PM

y'all are going to be so proud.

I drank kombucha yesterday. :mrgreen

I bought the GT's kind that starts with "S" (can't remember) and it was cranberry flavoured. I thought it smelled like my sister's old rental house :giggle- kind of musty and wine-y and dusty-sweet. :think I didn't especially like it but I found myself chugging it and then wondering why there was only half of it left. :haha So i guess I like it! :cheer Except near the end I got some of the floaty scoby in my mouth and that was naaaasty. But I did it! I drank kombucha!! YAY KARISA!!! I'm going to take such good care of your scoby. :heart

shekinah 09-28-2012 08:30 PM

Oooohh that is exciting!! :rockon :rockon Your taste will probably acclimate to it as well the more you drink it and can have fun with the flavours.

solatido 09-29-2012 05:49 AM

I have to resist the impulse to buy it when I am at Whole Foods. I have bought two bottles since starting my SCOBY but got 'em partly for the bottles (glass, good seal, able to take some pressure, twisty lids). DH and DS are both hooked too. It kinda gave DS a stinky diaper though :sick

I enjoy (semi sweet to sweet) wine and hard cider though, and plain KT tastes just like raw cider a week after pressing :yum

So my vessel is ready, I have tea, and am just waiting for the stupid SCOBY to thicken :hissyfit Fall has hit here so growth is soooo slow. It is only about 1/4 inch still :pacing

dakotablue 09-29-2012 07:42 AM

Yeah, I have this film, it was at the top, sank. its solid:scratch but not getting much thicker...

Not sure if I should try again? keep waiting? I can't get Kombucha locally

shekinah 09-29-2012 07:56 AM

How long has it been in there so far? Can you add a bit more sugar?