Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Joyous Homekeeping *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   small holes in t-shirts (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=508162)

esperanza 08-30-2014 08:23 AM

small holes in t-shirts

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I have a recurring, very frustrating problem of finding small holes in my cotton shirts. The odd thing is that they are often in the same place, right in the middle, near the belly button/waist area. I'm so tired of finding holes in my shirts!!

I only seem to find the holes around that area, though I haven't fully inspected the shirts. No belts that they are getting caught on, not finding holes in other clothes to think it's something with the washer, no evidence of bugs or moths. I hang these shirts to dry, so nothing with the dryer. I still wear the shirts, but now that I'm working I feel like I need to wear shirts without holes, which sadly leaves me with very few options. What in the world could be going on?!

I should also add that I've found some random holes in ds' clothes too, though I'm not sure if it is connected. Nice brands like Carters or Gymboree, and all of the sudden one day there is a small hole. I don't think it is anything he is doing to put holes in his clothes.

ValiantJoy07 08-30-2014 10:10 AM

Re: small holes in t-shirts

This has been happening to a few of my shirts as well recently. :popcorn

believer 08-30-2014 10:25 AM

Mine do that too. I think it is because I have a thick waist and I think it is from pants with a button or something underneath the shirt, plus I am short and sadly, my stomach is counter height and often brushes up against the kitchen counters when I am working in there.

ValiantJoy07 08-30-2014 10:42 AM

The only thing I can think of is possibly Velcro causing it to happen in certain loads that dad's dress up stuff isnwashed with. But it's odd that it's the same spot. Well actually a pair of brand new shorts got all rubbed weird in the front zipper area as well. :scratch

BarefootBetsy 08-30-2014 10:58 AM

Mine do this too and I don't understand why :(

2sunshines 08-30-2014 11:06 AM

I know you said you don't think it is washer related, but I'll throw this out as a possible idea.

When you wash items with zippers, are you zipping them up before putting in the wash? Things like jeans, or zip up sweatshirts? I found that the rough zippers can cause damage to other clothes so now I always zip and button everything up before throwing in the wash.

Seems it would affect more than just your shirts, but worth throwing out there.

Pragmatist 08-30-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by believer (Post 5821937)
Mine do that too. I think it is because I have a thick waist and I think it is from pants with a button or something underneath the shirt, plus I am short and sadly, my stomach is counter height and often brushes up against the kitchen counters when I am working in there.

I think this is it. A group of moms and I were discussing this and we all get holes in the same spot on our shirts. We decided it was from rubbing against the kitchen counters all the time. Wear an apron, save a shirt. :lol

MegMarch 08-30-2014 01:25 PM

I agree about counters. I think it happens more when I wear pants from Old Navy too:shrug3

2sunshines 08-30-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pragmatist (Post 5821975)
Wear an apron, save a shirt. :lol

:lol Aprons are fantastic anyway. :yes So good excuse to wear them. :rockon

believer 08-30-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2sunshines (Post 5822021)
:lol Aprons are fantastic anyway. :yes So good excuse to wear them. :rockon

I can wear one in the winter, but not in the summer. It is just too hot. It won't really cool off here until November.
We have two seasons - summer, and not summer. Not summer runs from Nov. until around April or May. The rest of the year - it is summer.

2sunshines 08-30-2014 04:18 PM

Ah yes. I'm in Michigan. So we have two seasons. Winter. And winter with a bit of warmth. ;) So aprons are useful year round. I have more than my share. :giggle I am in love with them.

BarefootBetsy 08-30-2014 04:35 PM

:think I haven't noticed any rhyme or reason or pattern at all to the tiny holes in my family's t-shirts. They're even in the baby's t-shirts - for example, on the back of the one he's wearing now :scratch

milkdud 08-30-2014 05:11 PM

I found teeny, tiny bugs on my clothes that were eating holes.

BarefootBetsy 08-30-2014 05:33 PM

Yeah, we've had moth larvae before that have eaten little holes in the clothes, but these are new clothes and we got rid of the moths a long time ago. Also, moths only ate the natural fibers, not the t-shirts, IIRC.

esperanza 08-30-2014 06:05 PM

Yes, ds' shirts are getting holes too, and some on the back of his shirts (so no wear near the kitchen counter! :giggle). Interesting thought on zippers- I don't close them but can try that. I don't think dh is getting any holes, and the clothes are washed together, but I'm not sure he'd notice. :wink I can try the aprons- that makes sense. I can see ds pulling at it all the time though, and it seems like it would be a pain to wear it all day with taking care of a 1 year old. I do have a couple that I like though.
No evidence of any bugs, but I know that they can do this. Appreciate the ideas!