Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   low grade fever?? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527977)

lavenlove 01-13-2020 04:35 PM

low grade fever??

I’ve been running a low-grade fever off and on for a few months now. I saw two different NPs during that time for sinus infection/upper respiratory infection, and I’ve also seen my endocrinologist. (I’ve got Hashimoto’s hypothyroidism). I just don’t feel great but I’m not sick enough to lie in bed for a few days to recoup. My mom brought up that I might be depressed (I’ve taken Zoloft for most of the past 9.5 years, since my first was born and I had terrible PPD. I don’t think she said this in relation to my temperature, even tho she’s aware I’ve been running higher than “normal”.

My kids have been sick a lot this past 8-9 months - my middle and eldest had the flu for 10-12 days in the spring (no flu shots for them at that time), my eldest who normally doesn’t get sick had strep in the summer, my middle and youngest had a fever virus in October, and all three got the flu over Christmas break. I thought we were finally over it, but my youngest (3 years old) spiked a fever last night, and my middle (6 years old) had a fever of 100.4° when I picked him up from school. I checked bc he felt warm, but I was supposed to take him for a flu shot this afternoon and I knew they wouldn’t do it if he had a fever.

What’s going on?! This is more sickness than my family has ever had. I don’t know if it’s just “our turn” or if there’s an underlying issue. Should I be concerned about my elevated temp? Has anyone experienced something like this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ValiantJoy07 01-14-2020 05:15 PM

Re: low grade fever??

What is your temperature running at? What did the endocrinologist say about your thyroid and how it's functioning? Did they have any thing to say about the elevated temperature?

That would probably be my starting point. Did blood work show elevated white blood cells like you're fighting some infection in the background?

As for getting sick all the time, any changes in your home? Any mold issues? New schools? New stresses? Is getting the flu-shot a new thing for you guys? That can cause some extreme stress to the immune system for some people (my body reacted with prolonged and extreme inflammation to several major organs after receiving certain vaccines as a teen).

Start at any of those that seems the most obvious, any changes and follow the rabbit trail. :hugheart

Also focusing on nutrition can really help, upping vitamin C, D3 and K2 in the months of being indoors more due to extreme temperatures.

ECingMama 01-14-2020 07:38 PM

This year’s flu shot doesn’t match the strains going around, so there’s no rush.

lavenlove 01-15-2020 03:10 AM

low grade fever??

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 (Post 6201242)
What is your temperature running at? What did the endocrinologist say about your thyroid and how it's functioning? Did they have any thing to say about the elevated temperature?

That would probably be my starting point. Did blood work show elevated white blood cells like you're fighting some infection in the background?

My temp is often elevated- running at 100.1°-100.5°-, sometimes 99 something, but almost always above 98.6°. I have a brand new Braun tympanic thermometer (for the ear), which I bought to replace our 4-year old Braun that big the dust.

Endocrinologist said I’m probably fighting a virus, but that my temp didn’t have anything to do with my thyroid. (Not sure if she understood how long the elevated temp has been going on...I honestly think it’s been months.) My TSH was fine, in fact it was the lowest it’s been in 3 years, I think. I started taking Cytomel (replaces T3)in addition to Synthroid probably 8ish months ago. Didnt check white blood cells with that blood work, but I guess that would be a good next step.

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 (Post 6201242)
As for getting sick all the time, any changes in your home? Any mold issues? New schools? New stresses? Is getting the flu-shot a new thing for you guys? That can cause some extreme stress to the immune system for some people (my body reacted with prolonged and extreme inflammation to several major organs after receiving certain vaccines as a teen).

New school - yes, my 3yo dd started preschool at our church, and my son started kindergarten at the same elementary school as my eldest dd. So they’re definitely exposed to more germs than before, even tho my son was in preschool (at another church) before.

No known mold issues; however, there is a place in the base of one cabinet in our kitchen that could have mold. It’s an exterior wall and the AC unit is on the opposite side. We replaced it a few months ago but the old one didn’t drain properly, so the interior of the cabinet has water damage and there’s a a dank, musty smell. There is a spot that I assumed was mildew, but maybe it’s mold - white and fuzzy, not black mold. Cannot afford to rip out the cabinets and redo (I wish!!!)but we should probably figure out how to take care of the damaged spot. I have one of those charcoal moisture absorbers in there and spot no longer seems damp.
Problem is that the spot that’s damaged is some kind of particle board or MDF - so it’s rough and unfinished. Should I use bleach or vinegar to clean it? I’d have to basically soak the affected area and get a fan to try to speed up drying, I think.

Our master bath shower was leaking and caused the wood floor in the hallway to buckle, so we’re in the process of renovating that. Fortunately have an insurance claim. Spring flu and strep happened before that was opened up. I don’t think there was any mold.

My husband had surgery on his elbow at the end of September, then had eye surgery in November that was a 3-week ordeal. Son has had a few issues adjusting to kindergarten. So YES to stressors!!!

Flu shot - not new for 3yo bc she had it last year; my older two probably hadn’t had it since they were 2 or under. 6yo DS hasn’t had it yet since he had random temp of 100.4° when we were supposed to go. Last one I had was probably when 3yo was born as her bday is October. I think it’s a rough flu season - my niece and nephew who had the flu shot right at the beginning of the season have both been ill with probable flu- not confirmed. My doc even said lots of kids he’s seen with flu did have the vaccine.

ValiantJoy07 01-15-2020 09:46 AM

All those new school germs usually mean a sick year :( but next year will likely be better. The flu shot is only around 30% effective most years unfortunately, it's all guess work what strain will be prevalent and most years they get it wrong.