Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Pressure Cooker Recipes *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=547)
-   -   pressure cooker? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=398148)

Punkie 02-27-2011 12:08 PM

Re: pressure cooker?

Not a make/model, but I'd absolutely recommend getting stainless steel rather than aluminum.

Abinsmom 02-27-2011 01:34 PM

I have a 7qt. Kuhn Rikon and a family of 4. There are several different sizes depending on your needs.

knitlove 12-16-2013 05:17 PM

Come joing the 2013/2014 thread http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=495110

Abinsmom 12-16-2013 05:55 PM

I'm glad to be a part of this new thread! I love my PC and use it a lot, especially this time of the year -- soups stews, roasts, whole chickens -- it's all yummy.

mezzBreath 12-16-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abinsmom (Post 5580762)
I'm glad to be a part of this new thread! I love my PC and use it a lot, especially this time of the year -- soups stews, roasts, whole chickens -- it's all yummy.

ooohhhh... tell me how you cook whole chickens!!????

Abinsmom 12-16-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mezzBreath (Post 5580921)
ooohhhh... tell me how you cook whole chickens!!????

Okay, typical 3-4lb. chicken, whole, I quarter a large onion, roughly cut 2 large carrots, and 2 stalks of celery. Add 4-6 cups of water. You can add seasonings, too -- salt, pepper, marjoram, thyme are my most frequent. Put all into pot, secure the lid, and bring to high pressure. Once at high, reduce to medium and cook 5 minutes for every pound of meat, which usually translates to about 20-25 minutes, just to be safe. Remove from heat, reduce pressure (I usually run the whole pot under cold water), take the lid off. Remove chicken and allow to cool so you can work with it (taking meat off bones, etc.). The stock is lovely and you can work through whether you want to keep the cooked veggies or not (I do, then pulverize them and make a thicker broth from the stock and veggies). The meat tastes great and of course can be used for lots of things. I usually do this to make soup (add back to the broth about 2 cups of chopped chicken and then boil in some noodles), then freeze the rest of the chicken meat I have picked from the bones.

Abinsmom 12-17-2013 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaVA (Post 3706932)
I have thought about one of these... I almost feel like a traitor to GCM but I just don't like crock pots or the way food turns out in them. I was thinking a pressure cooker would be a good alternative for pot roast and things like that.

I don't have a crock pot, either! I did for a long time, but once I got my PC, I realized how washed-out the flavors are in a crock pot. So when my crock pot died last year (yes, they actually die -- mine was probably 25 years old!), I didn't replace it. And have never regretted it.