Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Co-Sleeping & Nighttime Parenting *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Co sleeping in the Bible (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=136228)

Mother of Sons 10-12-2005 05:34 PM

Co sleeping in the Bible

I thought this was cool. I don't know if it's been posted before.

Luke 11:5-7

5Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, 6because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.'

7"Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.'

DogwoodMama 10-12-2005 05:48 PM

Re: Co sleeping in the Bible

I never noticed that before! Thanks for sharing that. :grin

Suzanne 10-14-2005 06:03 AM

Thank you! I may send that to my sister, who thinks cosleeping is sinful. :rolleyes

larsonwoman 10-16-2005 08:44 AM

I am so glad you posted that! I never noticed that before either although the guy was in the wrong for not giving some bread.!

lace421 10-19-2005 07:06 AM

I think I'm going to have to show my mother in law that:) I was just telling my dh that last night...just seems like as nice as she is about she's always saying how much better it would be if he slept in his own bed...

MaiMama 12-12-2005 11:09 AM

:rockon
very cool!

Aisling 12-12-2005 11:11 AM

I've always liked that verse :rockon :heart

OnlyBelieve 12-12-2005 11:12 AM

Wow!!! The Bible does address everything!!!
That is super cool!!

chelsea 12-15-2005 04:48 PM

Awesome! There's also the one about the mothers coming to King Solomon because they were cosleeping and one mother rolled onto the baby. Of course the non-co-sleepers would go crazy with that verse though, wouldn't they?! :rolleyes But the fact is that co-sleeping appeared to be the norm. After all, King Solomon didn't ask why they were co-sleeping, he just helped solve the problem!
I think I saw another co-sleeping reference but I can't remember where it is. I'll try and find it!

olivegod2 12-23-2005 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larsonwoman
I am so glad you posted that! I never noticed that before either although the guy was in the wrong for not giving some bread.!

I know, right! Cool!

olivegod2 12-23-2005 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chelsea
Awesome! There's also the one about the mothers coming to King Solomon because they were cosleeping and one mother rolled onto the baby. Of course the non-co-sleepers would go crazy with that verse though, wouldn't they?! :rolleyes But the fact is that co-sleeping appeared to be the norm. After all, King Solomon didn't ask why they were co-sleeping, he just helped solve the problem!
I think I saw another co-sleeping reference but I can't remember where it is. I'll try and find it!

I thought with that passage one of the baby's just died in the middle of the night. I didn't know she rolled on the baby. They were not only co-sleeping, but nightime breastfeeding! The Bible does address everything! :yes

chelsea 12-25-2005 11:49 PM

Quote:

I thought with that passage one of the baby's just died in the middle of the night. I didn't know she rolled on the baby. They were not only co-sleeping, but nightime breastfeeding! The Bible does address everything!
1Ki 3:19-21 "And this woman's child died in the night; because she overlaid it.
And she arose at midnight, and took my son from beside me, while thine handmaid slept, and laid it in her bosom, and laid her dead child in my bosom.
And when I rose in the morning to give my child suck, behold, it was dead: but when I had considered it in the morning, behold, it was not my son, which I did bear."
Yep, the Bible definitely addresses everything! :tu

beach_mom03 01-05-2006 12:01 PM

I've never noticed that before either.. thanks for sharing!

Heather Micaela 01-31-2006 03:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I thought with that passage one of the baby's just died in the middle of the night. I didn't know she rolled on the baby. They were not only co-sleeping, but nightime breastfeeding! The Bible does address everything!
1Ki 3:19-21 "And this woman's child died in the night; because she overlaid it.
And she arose at midnight, and took my son from beside me, while thine handmaid slept, and laid it in her bosom, and laid her dead child in my bosom.
And when I rose in the morning to give my child suck, behold, it was dead: but when I had considered it in the morning, behold, it was not my son, which I did bear."
Yep, the Bible definitely addresses everything! :tu

but the mom of the other baby co-slept too and her baby was fine :)

CrickettinVA 05-18-2006 07:00 PM

Wow, thanks for sharing. My dh and I were just discussing this topic. Now I can share this verse with him. :D

With kind regards,
Crickett
wife to Michael (10/92)
SAHM/WAHM to Erin (1/2/98), Holly (10/12/00), Claire (8/12/03) & Wesley (12/29/05)
www.crickettsdiapers.com

Earthylady 06-22-2006 07:05 AM

I've also concluded that.....

Deuteronomy 6:7 NIV
Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

Deuteronomy 11:19 NIV
Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

seems to be mentioning cosleeping also. You can't impress things upon your children when you lie down in a different room. ;)

Mandy

olivegod2 06-22-2006 09:51 AM

Pretty cool! another reference to co-sleeping! :tu

BrydensMomma 02-21-2007 08:28 AM

Thank you!! This helps!

Wenckebach 02-21-2007 10:59 AM

Quote:

That's a new one. What is her rationale for her belief that co-sleeping is sinful? I can understand a person who states that it is not their preference, or that their child sleeps better in a cradle. But how on earth can practise like this be sinful?

chelsea 02-22-2007 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wenckebach
Quote:

That's a new one. What is her rationale for her belief that co-sleeping is sinful? I can understand a person who states that it is not their preference, or that their child sleeps better in a cradle. But how on earth can practise like this be sinful?

I'm not the poster ;) , but one of my mom's friends told me it was pretty much sinful to cosleep...North Americans have this idea that there is something "sexual" about beds. It's absolutely ridiculous...and along the same lines as people thinking breastfeeding is sinful because they believe that breasts are sexual and made for men's entertainment and not for babies nourishment! :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Heather Micaela 02-22-2007 09:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wenckebach
Quote:

I'm not the poster ;) , but one of my mom's friends told me it was pretty much sinful to cosleep...North Americans have this idea that there is something "sexual" about beds. It's absolutely ridiculous...and along the same lines as people thinking breastfeeding is sinful because they believe that breasts are sexual and made for men's entertainment and not for babies nourishment! :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

stupid 1950's over-censorship

fourbygrace 03-20-2007 08:27 PM

Great verses! Thanks for everyone who shared!

About the breastfeeding being sinful, how do these people think Jesus (or anyone in the Bible) survived? Did Mary use Simalac? :giggle

MtnMama 06-10-2007 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourbygrace
Did Mary use Simalac? :giggle

:giggle Maybe she used the one with the comfort proteins? :shrug Seriously, what do people think they did before the invention of ABM? :scratch

Annabella 06-16-2007 12:49 PM

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to show DH that because he thinks it's time to put the kids in their own beds and I think not. I like having them close to me at night.

mooseymama 07-20-2007 06:29 PM

Gid really does have a great plan for everything, doesn't he!! I always want to ask women who say "oh breastfeeding NEVER works, it is just too hard for women to really do" think people used to make it! One of my favorite shirts is "Jesus was breastfed"

Sculpturegirl 11-16-2007 07:19 AM

In most of the world, it isn't called "co-sleeping", just "sleeping."

We had an African student stay with us. He has six sisters. I asked him about "co-sleeping" and he thought it was terrible how American children are put by themselves so early. "We all slept in my parent's bed for many years. Everyone back home does that." Same for slings. "Babywearing" probably isn't even a notion in many parts of the world, because that is just what is done. There are no strollers and you need your arms free for work! What is funny about attachment parenting here is that it is "alternative parenting" and in most of the world it is simply "normal."

My DH is a little unsure about it, but he is willing to do whatever is best for baby! He is wonderful :heart

Ned 01-07-2008 03:44 AM

I loved this thread - it came in very handy yesterday when DD(6) asked her Grandma if she could take home the soft Teddy bear to sleep with. Grandma's reply was "when you sleep in your own bed". Well that hit my buttons cos she knows how I feel. I took great delight telling her what the Bible said. I also told her to stop being so manipulative and blackmailing my child!

Mummy :1
Grandma :0 :P~

Heather Micaela 01-07-2008 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned
I loved this thread - it came in very handy yesterday when DD(6) asked her Grandma if she could take home the soft Teddy bear to sleep with. Grandma's reply was "when you sleep in your own bed". Well that hit my buttons cos she knows how I feel. I took great delight telling her what the Bible said. I also told her to stop being so manipulative and blackmailing my child!

Mummy :1
Grandma

:jawdrop
I could only see a grandma doing that if she was reinforcing YOUR goal and it was an incentive. :no2

Good for you standing up to her :rockon

And ftr DS is 6.5 and still in our bed :)

FaithfilledGranolaChick 03-03-2008 10:10 AM

Glad I read that, thanks for posting!

crunchyusmcluv 04-01-2008 08:17 PM

I ahd to share with hubby... he wasnt suprised. But that is ok we already cosleep with them. I will have to copy it down and post it at the church though so that i dont get this look anymore :hunh when we say we cosleep with our kids and we feel that is what God has led us to do.

ladybug 04-07-2008 06:38 PM

those verses are great!!
We cosleep here too!!! Love this thread!!!!

melissa_aka_mom 08-17-2008 08:51 PM

those are great! thanks for sharing, I never caught that before!

Serafine 08-17-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother of Sons
I thought this was cool. I don't know if it's been posted before.

Luke 11:5-7

5Then he said to them, "Suppose one of you has a friend, and he goes to him at midnight and says, 'Friend, lend me three loaves of bread, 6because a friend of mine on a journey has come to me, and I have nothing to set before him.'

7"Then the one inside answers, 'Don't bother me. The door is already locked, and my children are with me in bed. I can't get up and give you anything.'

Dh found that when he was researching co-sleeping and AP before we had kids...since it went against everything we had ever been taught. GOd used it to seal the decision in His mind. :heart :heart

Atarah 08-18-2008 12:52 AM

Prayer from my Jewish prayer book: (of ancient origin)
A prayer for when the new mother leaves the birthing bed: "May it be You will, Adonai, my God and the God of my forefathers, that You prepare sustenance for Your servant, this infant, with an abundance of milk - his requirement, whatever he may lack. Place in my heart the [correct] time to nurse him in order to give him what he needs. Lighten my sleep so that when he cries, You may open my ears so that I hear him immediately. Rescue me - that my hand not fall onto him while sleeping, and he die, Heaven forbid."

Breastfeeding and sleeping sharing is assumed. It is a request that God make the mother a responsive mother.

blessed2bmommy 09-25-2008 01:53 PM

ooooooooooo I love that! Super neat! Thanks for sharing!

shehaights 11-16-2008 10:38 PM

I've ran across those verses a time or two, we also co-sleep and breastfeed, I don't debate the issue with others, (it's not worth it to me) I simply smile and say, well, when we're ready. They can think what they like, we're doing what is right for our family. And btw I loved that prayer, so beautiful!

Englishgirl 11-17-2008 02:33 AM

I think I read somewhere that Ezzo uses the verse about Solomon as an argument against co-sleeping. That's so not the point of the story! More babies die in cots right? He also I think uses the fact that Jesus slept in a manger! Honestly I don't think the bible tells us where our babies should sleep but I think it assumes co-sleeping because that was the cultural norm. It certainly doesn't say that co-sleeping is wrong.

Heather Micaela 11-17-2008 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Englishgirl
I think I read somewhere that Ezzo uses the verse about Solomon as an argument against co-sleeping. That's so not the point of the story! More babies die in cots right? He also I think uses the fact that Jesus slept in a manger! Honestly I don't think the bible tells us where our babies should sleep but I think it assumes co-sleeping because that was the cultural norm. It certainly doesn't say that co-sleeping is wrong.

ezzo is crazy
Jesus was set in a manger that night. Even as a co sleeping mom, my newborn does-nothing-but-sleep brabd new babies were better off sleeping seperate those first hours while I recovered. And then when I would feed I would fall asleep holding them. But the first half day they slept fine in the bassinet.

shehaights 12-02-2008 08:44 PM

Speaking of the story of Solomon, I DVR TBN's animated series, one was the story of Solomon, the same thing! It pretty much enraged me, I can't quote it, but the mother of the living child points to Pricilla and says, basically, I told her over and over she was sleeping too close to her child. It had also showed Pricilla with her child very close, and the other Mother had her child almost lying separately, like in a manager type thing. I was pretty upset to see what I would've assumed to be a safe cartoon challenging our beliefs :(

Epiphany 12-02-2008 10:06 PM

That's awesome, I always love hearing that something you're doing anyway turns out to be biblical. LOL!! I love co-sleeping with my boy and husband. Except for my boy hogs the bed! Ha ha.
Quote:

One of my favorite shirts is "Jesus was breastfed"
I want one!!!!