Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=430)
-   -   quiche recipe (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=527226)

esperanza 06-05-2019 07:37 PM

quiche recipe

Anyone have a great, easy quiche recipe? I had one that I made for a long time, but I think it had too much milk and not enough eggs. It took forever and a day to get it cooked all the way through. Then I found a new recipe with less milk and more eggs, but the flavor wasn't great. Much faster to cook though.
I make one with cow's milk and cheese and one with almond milk and no cheese, though that doesn't seem to alter the cooking at all.

knitlove 06-05-2019 07:38 PM

Re: quiche recipe

I don't ever have a recipe I just kind of dump stuff together. Can you combine the recipe and come up with something in the middle and see if you like that?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Soliloquy 06-05-2019 07:39 PM

I usually make mine up as I make them. Very little milk, lots of eggs, salt, herbs, and goat cheese.

esperanza 06-05-2019 07:40 PM

Yes, I was thinking about that. The other recipe has 1.5 cups of milk, 3 eggs. The second recipe has 3/4 cup of milk and 6 eggs. That really changed the consistency.

Aerynne 06-05-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esperanza (Post 6182647)
Yes, I was thinking about that. The other recipe has 1.5 cups of milk, 3 eggs. The second recipe has 3/4 cup of milk and 6 eggs. That really changed the consistency.

When I used to make quiche I did 4 eggs, 1 c. Milk plus whatever else I wanted to put in there.

Virginia 06-06-2019 11:38 AM

Using half heavy whipping cream and half milk makes a big difference for me, as far as texture goes. I think the recipe I have calls for 4 eggs (large), 1/2 c heavy whipping cream, and 1/2 cup milk. Plus fillings (bacon, cheese, mushrooms, ham, whatever)

Maedchen 06-06-2019 03:28 PM

For the smaller pie pan:

Basic recipe: 3 eggs, 8 oz sour cream, 2 cups of cheddar and some diced spinach leaves (bacon, broccoli, or whatever veggie) salt and pepper

Pour into a pie shell and bake.

Deep Dish, I use 5 eggs, 16 oz of sour cream (or 8 oz sour cream and 8 oz milk), salt, pepper, 1/2 cup Bisquick (GF) and spinach, bacon, broccoli or whatever veggie.........bake in a greased deep dish. (It will make its own crust or at least hold together well enough to cut and serve.)

Beth1231 06-06-2019 07:29 PM

Our favorite!
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/76...li-cheese-pie/

ViolaMum 06-08-2019 02:24 PM

E, what do you not like about the flavor? Or is it more texture?

I find that a little mustard powder and cayenne pepper goes a long way with cheese and eggs. Or a nice pinch of thyme (make sure you rub it between your fingers first to release the oils). Don't skimp on the salt either. Cumin is really good with spinach, too. (I run it all - the spinach, eggs, and milk - through the blender first. My kids call it Alligator Pie, as in the childrens' book.) Or try tomatoes, and thyme or basil.

If a custard has a lot of milk, that means a lot of water. Replace that with fat or protein (whipping cream, sour cream or egg yolk) and it will bake faster and you'll get a creamier, richer texture.

The Cook's Illustrated recipe uses 2 eggs, 2 yolks, plus 1 c milk and 1 c heavy cream. That's where I use the extra yolks when I've had to separate eggs for something. If I don't have yolks in the fridge and I want to make a quiche, though I'm often too lazy to separate the eggs and just use them whole, and maybe skimp a little on the milk.