Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Gentle Christian Mothers Community (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/index.php)
-   Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=402)
-   -   make up subscription -- ipsy, birchbox - anyone still get these? (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=529071)

2sunshines 10-31-2020 05:10 AM

make up subscription -- ipsy, birchbox - anyone still get these?

My daughter is really in to make up, fashion and experimenting. She expressed interest in ipsy. Years ago when it first came out I subscribed to it and it was pretty cool. I just didn't use the stuff enough to warrant it. But that was a LONG time ago! I have no clue of the quality of the stuff anymore and whether it's worth it. There are probably tons of other options too.

Does anyone here have any recent experience with any make up, skincare, etc. subscription service?

SewingGreenMama 10-31-2020 05:19 AM

Re: make up subscription -- ipsy, birchbox - anyone still get these?

There are several you tube channels that review ipsy and several other make up subscriptions. I'd look into those to see what the quality is.
I've heard extremely mixed reviews about ipsy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Mother of Sons 10-31-2020 05:46 AM

I got Ipsy for my daughter and daughter in law for Christmas last year. I think the products have been fine and it’s a nice way to try out new things without spending a lot. Shipping is not fast. You get to choose one of your products each month. I’ve only had one issue and customer service handled it without a problem but others haven’t been so lucky. It’s been worth it for us though.

Katigre 10-31-2020 08:34 AM

www.mysubscriptionaddiction.com is a great website for monthly reviews of all types of subscription boxes :)

MegMarch 10-31-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katigre (Post 6235411)
www.mysubscriptionaddiction.com is a great website for monthly reviews of all types of subscription boxes :)

I was about to suggest the same. There are other boxes with more ethical options, but some of those tend to be more skincare heavy than cosmetics.

Sephora has stopped their monthly box but is putting out small kits frequently where you can see what's inside and buy as a one-off.

Allure tends to have a nice mix of products but I think they just raised their prices.

graciousmomma 10-31-2020 11:43 AM

I did Ipsy for a few years, but switched to BoxyCharm over the summer. I like it better than Ipsy. I have used most of the stuff I get in there, and the stuff I don't, I can regift to others, or sell it on ebay, or something. I've really enjoyed it so much more! I've gotten some really great skincare products, and some awesome eye shadow palettes. Not everyone likes the eyeshadow palettes, because they usually have some wild colors, but I like that sort of thing and will wear just about any color. :giggle Many times, I receive higher end makeup and skincare through this box, that I otherwise wouldn't buy because it's expensive.

blondie 10-31-2020 01:36 PM

I just restarted ipsy and have been really happy with it so far!

Close2MyHeart 11-05-2020 06:28 PM

My daughter was getting ipsy for a while and loved it. She stopped because she didn't want to spend the $ on it anymore, but she really liked it while she was getting it.

2sunshines 11-06-2020 06:27 AM

Thank you! I'm definitely going to do a subscription box for her for Christmas. She will love it.

Just gotta decide which one....

she's more in to make up than skincare (she has a basic skin care routine that works so no need to mess with it). She loves wild and loves experimenting with colours and boldness.

For those who have tried a few, which do you think would be the best fit?

graciousmomma 11-06-2020 12:26 PM

I think she would really like the BoxyCharm. It's 5 full sized products for $25/month. You get to choose one of the items you will receive. If she likes experimenting with colors, I feel like I get more of that with BoxyCharm than I did with Ipsy. Plus, Ispy is sample sizes, unless you sign up for the Ipsy Plus, then you get full sized products, and I have heard you can pick up to 3 of the items, but I am not sure. Both sites do a mix of skincare and cosmetics, so no matter which one she goes with, she will get some skincare. But, I will say that I have gotten the most fun colors from the BoxyCharm! This month the featured eye shadow palette is by Natasha Denona, and her stuff is spendy! If you need more help deciding, there are alot of videos on youtube that give product spoilers, and honest reviews about them.

Ugh, I got into this because of my daughter, lol. :giggle She turned me from Ipsy to BoxyCharm. But I have no regrets and like it way more!